Should I get a baja 5b?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tek18x

Hey guys,

Well i'll give some background info on myself, i'm 17 years old and Junior in highschool, I mow 7 laws a week during the summer and keep a job that I get $7.25 an hour for, not much money maybe like $50 a week or so.. so it sucks.

But I really love the baja's, I have always been amazed by them and I've been in the hobby for 5-6 years, stopped for about a year. I currently own a rc18t, basically 100% hopped up I can't honestly buy anything more for it, i've tried, and I've considered selling it as I don't race indoor anymore or really drive it as it is almost too fast and too small!

So i drive my revo 3.3, fun bashing truck.

But i love how the baja is durable, looks easy to jump, good speed, and the major thing is the engine lasts basically forever and you only need to use gasoline for it. I am a good nitro tuner, but I absolutely hate doing it. I wish i could just turn it on and go!

but my concern is:

A. Will I be able to afford it? do they break alot etc.
B. I will be going to college in about two years, should I get one?

-Tanner

well you can buy a used one for about 4-600 and the breakage part depends on how you run it.......if you plan on jumping and beating on it alot then be prepared to fix it alot and parts arent cheap......if you just like to bash around and don't jump and beat on it constantly then they hold up very well. hope this helps ya out. I have 4 bajas and like any other r/c they do have a few weak points but as I said it is up to you driving style.

thanks so much for the response!

but dang 4 baja's? why would you need so many!

but hmm.. Where can i find one for 4-600 i have yet to find one under 800

check out fleabay or baja addicts.....great forum with great peeps. I have 4 because im an addict.....lol......one for the wife, 3 for me.......lol.......they all have different setups so all have their own personality to them........If you get one you will understand....lol

I really want one!

but can I have links to these sites? I have never even heard of them!

Back when I was HUGE into RC nitrotuner.com and revo-world.com were the main hangouts, but now, they aren't even websites... the way things change!

i hate to refer you to hbf, but there for sale section is the shiz! a lot of stuff up for sale all the time at really good prices most of the time. used baja there range from 700.00 to 1000.00 most of the time but usually come with some of the nice strengthening upgrades already in place. fleabay is hit and miss, most of the time the seller is asking to much but i have seen some without reserve but never watched to see what they went for. i bought a used 5t off of hbf for 900.00. it was all ready hopped up for the most part. patience is a virtue when buying used, just read up on the baja, go to daves dicount motors and look through all the baja parts, everything. that will familiarize you with what someone is listing that they have installed on there baja, that way you know if your getting a good deal or not. imo, a used stock baja(completely stock, no upgrades) is worth no more than 600.00, and that would be in excellent almost unused condition. just be careful, or you will regret it and thats not what we want. we want new people coming into the hobby to share our interest.

what is HBF? may be a dumb question, but thanks! i've been snooping around on davesmotors.com and it looks nice, a baja SS is around ~ $900 which sounds decent if i were to go used, also comes with a 26CC which I think would be enough for me for atleast 6 months until i get tired and want more power :p I believe the RTR comes with a smaller motor?

Thanks for the info!

When I was 17 I was into drag racing my car and chasing skirts. I had a job and most of the money made went into my car and yes, chasing skirts. Messing with RC cars was not something high on the priority list.

IMO, save your cash as this is an expensive hobby. Everyone figures out anything and everything is expensive later in life. Like my dad used to say, "Anything(hobbies) gets expensive when you have to pay for everything twice(or more).".

hmmm i found the site, very useful thanks guys!!

are there any sites that are like traxxasrevo ( nitro ) just dedicated forums also that are this popular?

Hpibajaforum (hbf) is great as well as this one. Like any other rc hobby you can easily get addicted and spend large amounts of m

Like any other rc hobby it can get very addicting and you'll spend large amounts of money on a baja if you don't have the will power to keep it stock. However the best thing about a baja is that it runs on a gas/2stroke oil mix and once tuned it runs great and usually keeps its tune much better then a nitro rc car. They are an awesome car to run and have fun with but if I were you I'd be saving up for a car if you don't have one and enjoy college life being with a girlfriend or chasing girls as said above. Remember you'll need a car in the 1st place to find a track or other area to run a baja cuz these things aren't easy to carry to a bash spot, they're big and weigh a lot. You could run it in your neighborhood but chances are people will hate you for that. Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to discourage you cuz these are awesome cars to work on and have fun with, but it will take up your time and money if your on a budget.

My only advice is if you go the used route then you want to see the baja your buying running and running good. That means pulling the spark plug, testing the radio gear if it has one installed, checking the suspension and so on. There's just too many stories of people going used and finding out it was a clone, the engine was blown or some other defect you don't know about until its at your door. That's the exact reason why I went new.

Yea after some research i would buy most likely the SS From daves for $900, and I do have a car, 2005 Toyota Highlander :D

But I installed some subs recently and got a $204 ticket for it and have to go to court and if they judge makes me take them out and come back to prove I did, my mom said I can't put them back in... ( even though i paid for them and all, but oh well ) So i would sell them for an extra $600 together so I would have the spare cash, also I am considereing selling my rc18t which has well over $2000 in it, great RC.

But also on the other side I may just buy a os18tz for my revo to get it going, but I hate tuning... I just like to start and go.

You still have to tune the baja but very little. You still have to break in the engine and then retune after that. Doing a break in on a regular rc is not that hard if you know your settings and you have a temp gun to back you up.

hmmm i am also investigating this new E-Revo it looks very bashable and I did not know with a 4s the run times are up to an hour. That sounds amazing also, but cheaper

Giving you answers to your original questions.

Baja do have good straight line speed,they are terrible at jumping and turning in short distances.
They break easily doing tumble rolls and take a fair bit of time repairing them.

I had one and never again,biggest piece of junk i had ever owned and they have low re sale value.
I’d go losi 5ive or something else.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks