Silicone exhaust coupler

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yea Sean nailed it, most silicone is only rated for 300-400 at most
Silicon wasnt really meant for the heat of exhaust. Even the "high temp" silicon hose will eventually break down. Some last a bit longer then others. Just the way it seems to be.
Ok so what do you guys suggest then? My coupler is on its way out.

Silicon wasnt really meant for the heat of exhaust. Even the "high temp" silicon hose will eventually break down. Some last a bit longer then others. Just the way it seems to be.

Thats only reason i tried it myself. Seems to get brittle and as you said break down overtime. Even if this is the same sh1t Ive been using its cheaper than buying elsewhere. I believe I ended up with 6 pieces for about the cost of 2.5 elsewhere.

Ok so what do you guys suggest then? My coupler is on its way out.

I will probably be able to report back wednesday or so this week. Finally got one of em close to operable again. And its supposed to be nice and sunny a few days late this week.

Thats only reason i tried it myself. Seems to get brittle and as you said break down overtime. Even if this is the same sh1t Ive been using its cheaper than buying elsewhere. I believe I ended up with 6 pieces for about the cost of 2.5 elsewhere.

I will probably be able to report back wednesday or so this week. Finally got one of em close to operable again. And its supposed to be nice and sunny a few days late this week.
? All the ones off ddm I keep destroying. The one I have now is a Bartolone one I think, and it's lasted the longest of all of them, but it's on its way out. So I want a better solution

The biggest issue with better materials Is, 1 stuff that stands up to high temps is normally semi ridged. Ie doesn't like to get bent, or stretched. 2 the size we need is very small compared to normal exhaust systems.
Its an odd give and take kind of thing with our 1/5 scale rc. If we needed 2"+ tube for our exhaust I could reccomend a few different materials to try. But, generally speaking, were 1" or under. That eliminates all the stainless flex couplers, and most, if not all, fiberglass impregnated materials. On top of that just imagine trying to stretch 2 or 3 heavy duty springs over a ball and socket style coupler, with a graphite composite seal. I'm sure there is something out there that would work wonders, but it's either cost prohibitive or a very niche product.

If you run it hard for an extendand amount of time like we do in boats? Head pipe temps will run between 1000 and 1200 F. So look for material that will run that high or close to it. Unless wide open on an oval or in the dunes where you are heavily loaded? You may never see those kind of temps. But I would find the highest stuff you can.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks