Snapped Pull Start Rope

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice... I plan to call around a few small engine shops today.. what length rope am I looking for?

Nice... I plan to call around a few small engine shops today.. what length rope am I looking for?

I wish I would have measured the rope. I'm honestly not sure. Extend the old one out and add a few inches for knotting it in the pull start and on the handle. I would think that most 2 cycles have pretty much the same length for a pull start rope, so whatever they have, you should be good.

Better yet, you might shoot an e-mail over to DDM and ask. They get back within a couple hours. If anyone knows, they will.

I would think you cold pick up enough to do several for a few bucks at Menard's, Home Depot, Lowes, or Lawn mower shop. Just bring a small bit of the old and they will hook you up. It is really easy and you DO NOT need to take anything mechanically apart to do it.

Does it look like the CY part?..I don't see why it would not work....
Has to be real close...Guess I could get 1 and let ya know...Slawhammer

Does it look like the CY part?..I don't see why it would not work....
Has to be real close...Guess I could get 1 and let ya know...Slawhammer

Hey Slaw, it looks close. I'll probably just order one (can't go wrong for 4 bucks), I just want to fix the spare one I had working and then snapped that white piece that the spring hooks on. I'll probably get an order together in the next week for a couple spares from ddm....carb, the pull start piece, rope, and another intake manifold for the Baja from z rc and probably a few other odds and ends.

sears 3 bucks..good deal....all part of the hobby....things do brake...
have to check real close on RTR RC Unit's...Than's ready to repair..not run..out of the
box.....Cuz ya know some one was not doing there job very well..quality control.....
........Slawhammer.......

Alright.. I will man up and replace just the rope.

I broke my rope after two weeks. I went to the local TruValue hardware store and told them the cord is to a weed wacker size engine. He sold me 3 ft of rope at 18 cent per foot. I'm still on the same rope and it cost me pocket change to fix it.

Installation FYI
First I match the length with the broken cord and compensate few extra inches for the knot on each end. Wrap the cord around the pulley with no tension and assemble it. Pull 12 inches of cord out and walk the extra cord around the pulley one time to achieve correct tension.

I broke my rope after two weeks. I went to the local TruValue hardware store and told them the cord is to a weed wacker size engine. He sold me 3 ft of rope at 18 cent per foot. I'm still on the same rope and it cost me pocket change to fix it.

Installation FYI
First I match the length with the broken cord and compensate few extra inches for the knot on each end. Wrap the cord around the pulley with no tension and assemble it. Pull 12 inches of cord out and walk the extra cord around the pulley one time to achieve correct tension.

I had to walk my cord around 2 or 3 times to get proper tension.

One time was good enough for me. The trick is to keep the pulley from binding so it will retract fully. I use Liquid Wrench Dry Lubricant on the pulley mechanism. Regular oil base lube becomes dirt magnet and bind.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks