So as I impatiently wait .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So back in Nov. I bought the Motor and ESC for the Hydro I'm planning on build. I received them and they have sat in a corner. So I officially ordered the hull last week I think . Think I posted that in the other thread. After ordering that I ordered a few other parts . Picked up the motor mount , cooling jacket , turn fin and the rudder. I decided I might as well put the Motor mount together and put the cooling jacket on while I was doing that . I still need to loctite the screws and I need to solder the capacitor bank to the ESC . I need to order so may parts . :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: IMG_20191203_163752.jpgIMG_20200322_153738.jpg

God I've got a lot of parts to buy still . I thought this was going to be easy .... right . This is going to be fun. I figure this may take me about a year to build. Going to take my time so that I make sure I do it right . I've been doing a lot of reading on different forums and studying pictures. And of coarse everyone does things a little differently . And then you have the guys that build wood kits. I'm taking the easy way out compared to them.

Oh boat update time. I did start drilling and cutting holes in the boat . It is a very nerve racking thing to do because I don't want to screw it up. It would really suck to screw up . Granted fiberglass is very fixable. So, so far I've mounted the rudder assembly, drilled and mounted the water cooling inlets and cut open the radio/esc box area. I've got a pyle of parts sitting in the corner of the room for the boat and I've got more parts coming later this week. Next will be drilling and tapping the holes for the turn fin in the right sponson. Then it will be mounting the strut assembly and then figuring out where the center of gravity is for the boat so that I can figure out where the motor and the batteries will be mounted. The CG is critical because if its off the boat will either submarine or it won't get on plane.IMG_20200427_202452.jpgIMG_20200418_171850.jpg

Shame you can have adjustable trim....
The Strut is manually adjustable a little bit. I'll be able to adjust the height and maybe angle a little bit .Hydroplanes and Cat's don't use trim tabs if that is what you are referring to like Mono hull boats. Hydro's and Cat's use surface drive props that run half out of the water and are designed as lifting props . Gets the ass end out of the water. Sorry if you already knew this.2012-10-22_09-52-44_080.jpg

Nah not tabs, in real boats (as you may know) the trim set how far up or down your prop is. don't matter if it's an i/o or outboard engine. Take for example out scarab. Twin 454BB bravo 1 out drives. The out drives would pivot or angle may be a better term. When you were trying to get on plain you would run them all the way down. After it plained off, you should run them up just till it started to porpoise the back them down a hair. How much trim depended on water conditions and speed. It had tabs as well but with twin engines (one being a counter rotator) you didnt really need to worry about using them.(unless mom packed a ton of poop in the cabin and threw the weight of the boat off side to side) they slowed the boat down as well. Same principal applies to our wellcraft. Its twin outboard. The whole engine and drive pivots. Just thought it would be helpful if they had something like that in a scale boat that big. You'd be surprised how much more speed you can get when the prop is right where it needs to be for conditions.
Edit... nvm thinking about it it would be an overly complicated set up with how your drive is set up. And dam you now I'm looking at stv hulls again.
Edit 2, ok I'm gonna plague you some more. I called my old man to ask how my grandads old race boat was set up. It had a drive similar to your set up. From what my old man was saying, it didnt have power trim like I'm used to. They were able to set the angle of the prop, once they found the gravy spot it was basically locked into place. The angle determined how far the front of the boat would be pushed up out of the water. I think I've over thought this for a scale model of a 1to1. Food for thought

Last edited:
Nah, been in the water all my life. At one point my dad, grandad and uncle raced unlimited offshore. Loved it. Very expensive. Really miss it. Theres a lot of stuff in a 1 to 1 that rc is missing, that I was thinking a larger scale would benefit from. Till I was done explaining what I was talking about, and talked to my dad it wouldnt be practical in rc.

Nah, been in the water all my life. At one point my dad, grandad and uncle raced unlimited offshore. Loved it. Very expensive. Really miss it. Theres a lot of stuff in a 1 to 1 that rc is missing, that I was thinking a larger scale would benefit from. Till I was done explaining what I was talking about, and talked to my dad it wouldnt be practical in rc.

Ahhh you're thinking of something like this . This can be used on Cat's and Mono hulls. Can't use this on a Scale Hydro . You need to add a servo for this. If you have twin drive 2 servos one for each.tfl-503b90.jpg

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks