Spark acting strange??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fstnd378

Hello i've just disassembled the "energy-generator" for the spark. The engine didn't feel like starting yesterday after a long time of running too rich, so i returned it to base settings today. But i have a strange glowplug problem right now; i ordered three ngk cmr7h-10 plugs which came yesterday. When i test the plug by basically pulling the starter, only effect is me getting a very hard zap😀. I did move that "energy-generator" a bit closer to the flywheel, so that might be why it is stronger now. Anyway, my question still is: why don't i see the spark when pulling it, but it does somehow work when in the engine? (The engine starts)

You have to ground the plug to the engine to get a circuit. Touch the base of the plug on the engine head and pull.

Energy generator, that's a first 🤣
Ehm thanks😂 i heard someone call it something like a coil but i just make up own names when not sure

Edit: oh i just saw seandonato's comment
Another edit: reason why i thought ive misunderstood "coil" was because i had this in mind:Screenshot_20230420_195430_Google.jpg

There are internal coils of wire in it. It converts the electromagnetic fields given off by the magnets on the flywheel to electricity. It's a bit more involved then what I've stated, but it's the basic principal.
Has nothing to do with a coil spring, there are no internal moving parts in any modern ignition module/coil/magneto, with the exception of the fly wheel.

Hello i've just disassembled the "energy-generator" for the spark. The engine didn't feel like starting yesterday after a long time of running too rich, so i returned it to base settings today. But i have a strange glowplug problem right now; i ordered three ngk cmr7h-10 plugs which came yesterday. When i test the plug by basically pulling the starter, only effect is me getting a very hard zap😀. I did move that "energy-generator" a bit closer to the flywheel, so that might be why it is stronger now. Anyway, my question still is: why don't i see the spark when pulling it, but it does somehow work when in the engine? (The engine starts)
the gap should be the around the width of a business card from the coil to the flywheel (just said that because you mentioned that you moved it). the reason you are not seeing spark is likely because you are not grounding it like @3illmesmart said, to do this simply touch the plug to any part of metal, usually just the engine or pipe

i would read the manual first, it tells you about a lot of stuff like this :) . to check spark hold the plug by the boot out of the car with a pair of insulated pliers and touch it to the cylinder fins while pulling the pull start. you want a nice bright blue spark.

if the car runs ok you're good, don't worry about it unless there's a problem. there's a procedure for setting the coil to flywheel gap. loosen the mounting bolts, put a business card between coil and flywheel magnets, push the coil onto the magnets, then tighten. pretty simple really. make sure to clean both hole and bolt threads and use blue thread lock.

pretty sure ur not getting spark on the plug because your body is getting it lol.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks