spektrum reciever antenna ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deathdealer

hi,
i have a hpi 5t. and when i put the reciever (3300t/300)in the box and run the antenna it only sticks out 1/4 inch out of the box...and no way could i put the antenna tube on. if this will work, i'll put a little shoe goo around the antenna to seal out water/dirt...i tried to talk to horizon and they said need to check the range :with-stupid: great help they should know there stuff..

the only other option would be to cut another hole and run the wire up the side of the roll bar.i don't really like that idea as it's one more hole to let water/dirt ect.

not real sure that would give much more.

when i got the radio,it was the dx3s or traxxas in the 2.4 or JR fm dial a channel stuff.

so any thoughts
maybe another reciever that has a longer wire?

Last edited:
hrmm, im not familiar with the radio tray in the 5T but I run a spekky myself. can you not turn the receiver on its side or switch positions to get more of the antenna out of the box? I run mine in a FG MT and its sticks out a good 3 inches.

i would try to avoid changing the aieriel. I know and have modified one of my reciveirs with a slightly longer JR aeriel.

shorter the arial shorter the range...i think just try a range check set the car up so you can see the front wheels and walk away wiggle the steering when it stops responding you have found the limit..if its not enough you going to have the get more ariel showing

My Spekky Rx is mounted upside down in my FG Baja radio box, with the antenna running upwards through the box lid. only sticks out 2". Not had any issues with it yet.

the important thing is to get the antenna at staight and as vertical as possible, and it is the height of the tip of the antenna that affects range.

even if the antenna is 100% inside the radio box, so long as it is not shielded by other wires, and stands vertical you'll be fine.

My Spekky Rx is mounted upside down in my FG Baja radio box, with the antenna running upwards through the box lid. only sticks out 2". Not had any issues with it yet.

the important thing is to get the antenna at staight and as vertical as possible, and it is the height of the tip of the antenna that affects range.

even if the antenna is 100% inside the radio box, so long as it is not shielded by other wires, and stands vertical you'll be fine.

My mate has a futaba set with the antenna inside the box & his runs fine & no range problems or glitching.

shorter the antenna short the range is absolute crap. compare a 2.4 antenna against a fm or am, tonnes shorter and you will get better range from a 2.4.

don't modify anything yet, do a range test and ull prolly find its got 100m+ range which is plenty. I think standard 2.4's have a range of 400m which is pointless coz it would be a small dot by that stage.

Sperera is right, extending the antenna will not help you, it will only screw it up.

here comes the science bit, concentrate........

The length is tuened to the frequency of your system. if you look, a 2.4ghz antenna is the same length as those on your Internet WiFi router as they use a very similar band. It is possible to change the length but you would need to calculate carefuly what the new length should be (search up on wikipedia for stuff like electromagnetic harmonics if you care).

Bottom line, the manufacturers know what they are doing so best not to meddle.

An example is as follows, for a spekky Rx antenna:

Adapted from http://www.transmissionzero.co.uk/radio/marts-fm-radio-antenna/:

The length of the wire making up the antenna is critical. If it is too long or too short, the antenna won’t be tuned for the frequency you want to use it on. (The length is actually slightly shorter for reasons I won’t go into, but it can be regarded as one wavelength for all practical purposes). This length can be calculated by the formula:

L = 294 ÷ f

Where L is the length of wire needed in metres, and f is the frequency in MHz

i.e. (for 2.4Ghz FM) L = 294 ÷ 2400 = 0.1225m

any harmonic of this is acceptable, i.e. 61mm (typical Rx antenna), 30.6mm (micro Rx antenna)

A buddy of mine runs a speky also and he does alot of racing and he runs his antenna inside his radio box and hasn't had any problems.

Extending the antenna will do nothing for that model.

Just a bit of information:

Mount the receiver antenna as
recommended by the manufacturer of the vehicle, however, it may be necessary
to trim the plastic antenna tube (included with your vehicle) to allow the antenna to
extend at least 1/2" past the tip of the tube.

Note: If desired, the antenna can be shortened (cut)
to exactly 3.6" with negligible loss of range and in some
applications the short 3.6" length will make installation easier.

I have the same receiver and new the antenna wire was only around 3" long so I drilled a hole in the receiver box right above where the wire came out of receiver the size of the antenna tube cut the tube about 1/4" longer than wire and sealed it in place inside and outside the receiver box and also at the tip to stop any water getting in and have lots of range... I sanded the antenna tube to get a good bond... If you wold like a picture I will try to post one

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks