spents hpi baja bitsa 45 build,

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No worries Paul, you will just have to get creative with the vrc. ??
yeh thanks very very much for yer effort in measureing the sh pipe an that though mark,
much appreciated mate (y),
i'll explain why it wouldnt work in next post :LOL:
right , bit of a long ass post :D,
reason the sh pipe wont work,
with it being a 34mm outside diameteror 30mm inside diameter tube at the header,
it being round wouldnt work, so i could have cut off the flange, then squashed the pipe to an oval and made a new oblong flange to weld to the header tube, but squashing the tube to an oval would increase the length horizontal to around 40mm, and the height to around say 20mm,
this in turn would cover the exhaust bolt holes in the rovan head, so no way to bolt a header on,
my thought was to make an adapeter that would add onto the header and bolt through the original sh flange and convert from round to oval,
but again the original flange's hole spacing would be too wide, so it was a no no,

so made a decision on the vrc header, and probably the wrong one to start with :ROFLMAO:,
but welded up the vrc header bolt holes, and also added material to the width of the flange with weld,
will then grind down and re shape that material to tidy it up and then flat the face of the flange off on the belt sander,
then re shape the oblong in the flange so its as close as possible to the rovan port and gasket, then re drill bolt holes in flange to match the head,
should be able to get the opening in the flange very close , but would need to funnel the opening at the sides if that makes sense,
worst case is it goes wrong and i cut the flange off, make a new flange and weld onto the original header tube,
long ass post yes, but will post here again whether the first weld er up option fails or works :LOL:,

Last edited:
well the first attempt at modding the header failed miserably, could have been salvaged, but in short i fecked it up :ROFLMAO:,
no pics cos it was an embarrassment :LOL:, and besides, i chopped it up a tad now anyways,
so had another think and came up with a different way,
the tubes still fine, but building up with weld wasnt the way to go, so will make a fresh flange, but will have to cut down the original flange and weld to that, sort of cut down original to a square and chamfer, then weld ne chamfered flange over that one and grind back,
it doesn't help that the tube is only 1mm wall thickness (zctuzlly 0.9mm in places) and the flange is 4mm,
also doesn't help that i ran out of mig wire and co2, and as were in lockdown no fecker seems willing to deliver the gas,(only use small disposable bottles cos i don't weld often enough),
all i have is a bottle of pure argon and a roll of gasless wire, so spatter city here we come :LOL:,

so just a tiny update ,
couple o pics of what i'm attempting as v2 header mod :D,
having a few issues with a recurring thumb injury, so progress is slooooooooow at moment :LOL:,
plus stabbed my finger with dremel today an all ffs :ROFLMAO:,
basic shape of the new flange, needs a tad more shaping needed yet though,

then weld to the old header thats been cut down and chamfered,
then grind and open up the oblong from there,
it does look in the first pic that the bolt holes are on the piss, but they aint, well maybe 0.2mm or so:D, can correct that as i go though (y),

so just a tiny update ,
having a few issues with a recurring thumb injury, so progress is slooooooooow at moment :LOL:,

it does look in the first pic that the bolt holes are on the piss, but they aint, well maybe 0.2mm or so:D, can correct that as i go though (y),

Looks good so far mate. Now be nice to your fingers, you only got 10 of um to muff up.

Looks good so far mate. Now be nice to your fingers, you only got 10 of um to muff up.
thanks sean (y) ,
and :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:, well most of my fingers and thumbs have been broken at some point in my life, cuts and stabs are fine, they heal quick, its the breaks that are a pain in the arse/ass :LOL:,
trouble is they never get time to heal up, cos of disability i'm using hands all the time so just have to suck it up and crack on :ROFLMAO:

so just a tiny update ,

Nice So it was a stock vrc header?

Nice So it was a stock vrc header?
yeh was a stock vrc header doug, needed the bend in the tube from the stock one, but the stock one didnt have enough meat on it to stretch the holes out to fit the zelda/spovan exhaust port, and to open the header opening up,
would have been much easier if header tube was just straight cos coulda just made a full header tube and flange,
i do have some tube the right diameter etc but cant replicate the tight bend with tools i have,

headers now welded up and ground down flat ,
then the hole ported out to match the 45's gasket (y),

not the neatest of jobs in the world, but not bad for a 25+ year old mig welder and gasless wire :LOL:,
i spot welded around the back side as far as i could to try and neaten it up a tad,
tbh i shoulda left it alone as is plenty strong enough and welded most the way through from the gasket side,
it'll be fine :ROFLMAO: ,
bolted to my spare top end just to make sure it did fit ,

You haven't looked at some of the welds in other pipes, looks good lol
yeh i've seen some fairly bad welds on pipes sean :LOL:,
also seen some bad welds on other things in general,
thanks though, means sommat when someone comments positive on sommat that i did (y)(y),
was meant to be gettin more done today , but never got above freezing where i am,
so thought feck it :LOL:, colder than witches tit in the north of england :ROFLMAO:

yeh i've seen some fairly bad welds on pipes sean :LOL:,
also seen some bad welds on other things in general,
thanks though, means sommat when someone comments positive on sommat that i did (y)(y),
was meant to be gettin more done today , but never got above freezing where i am,
so thought feck it :LOL:, colder than witches tit in the north of england :ROFLMAO:
Wtf mate? 20*f out today, I was out splitten wood all day.

Wtf mate? 20*f out today, I was out splitten wood all day.
brrrrrrrrr feckin freeze :LOL:, good on ya for splittin wood in that temp sean (y),
was -1c here all day, then roughly -5 tonight, paraffin heater in workshop is empty and couldnt be arsed to refill it :LOL:,
will get sommat done later on though,

Hey y'all pussies, it was 12f in the daytime and 8f at night yesterday, not much better today. So stuff 20f up your ass and go get that fecking thing running ??
still too fecking cold at -1c and -5c z zee zed :ROFLMAO:,
the cold don't like me :D,

oh and its alright for doug, bet he's sat there in his front garden in his mankini and japanese safety boots drinking a cold one and shouting at the neighbours :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:,

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks