spents obr 57 twin dragon hammer,

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spents

Uncle Fester👻
PLUS member
hope this is ok doug ?,
wanted to start a thread forthis so i can easily add to the build process without it all getting mixed up in my spents rigs pics thread (y),
so basic recap,
dragon hammer twin , latest rebuild to reduce weight and gain better centre of gravity etc,
in short make it more stable,
so, engine slammed as low as possible, weight reduction as and where i can,
home made parts including front engine mount, bell carrier, pull start adapter etc etc,
deanodised all the red off it as well,

colour change from the stock fid print panels to pearl apple green

so today i decided to try and get the twin up and running,
engine aint been run for a year, and never run since i adapted it to a full size ez start pull start,
well didnt go well tbh :ROFLMAO:,
i dida re ring on the engine last year and its only been run enough to bed the rings in nicely,
compression is super high when rings are new , not sure if your twin is the same compression wise doug ?
anyways, wernt havin it, got fuel, got spark etc, finally got a pop out of it and pull start jammed up, cord half out,
took pull start off, pawls on the engine were fine

starter itself was jammed, backed the centre bolt off half a turn and it freed up,
stripped the starter for a closer look,

turns out the machining on the starter aint the best, quality wise yes, dimension wise its crap :LOL:,
post on the housing is 10mm,
bore of the spindle is 11mm, so 1mm of wobble and no bearings , spindle wobbles a tad and locks up against the cog,
need to have a closer look and see what i can do to make it work,
or see what i can make up to make it work from other starters,
this starter is brand new but chinese ezi start, secondary spring is spot on and works fine, its just the locking up bit that sucks ,

Last edited:
yip compression is still pretty good on my twin ? ?
also takes more pulls than a single to get going.....only choke one cylinder coz there's no space to put the other leaver on?‍♂️?
yeh one choke sucks doug :LOL:, it is what it is though,
had a thought with my pull start as well, i wonder if the pum spool is smaller than the full size spool,
smaller spool should be easier to pul if spools smaller ?,
gonna have a measure this afternoon,

well that sucks :ROFLMAO:,pull start is machined in such a way that everything has a 1mm wall in one place or another,
so i would need a bushing with a 0.5mm wall thickness, don't think it would hold up even if i managed to turn one,
i have found out that the pum and full size starters have the same size spools though, or near enough the same :D

lmao sean, it will get solved (y) , had one of those days where i couldnt get my head round stuff properly,
so just left it before i ballsed sommat up :LOL:,

edit, hate to think what it would cost to post the whole dragon hammer to the states as well :ROFLMAO:

still trying to figure out the pull start, have found a piece of bronze, well its an old bronze bushing that should work after some turning down,
have turned down the shaft on the starter a tad and am gonna bore out the spindle as much as i dare then make the bronze bushing to fit (y) ,
i have a feeling sommat aint right with the twin though, as said above it has a hell of a lot of compression,
seems a tad draggy with the plugs out an all,
may have to pull the engine and do a partial strip down,

Thats not good news Paul? if its dragging could be scoring the head?‍♂️ take lots of pics??
hard to explain doug but i don't think its scoring the head,
when i say dragging i mean it just seems stffer than it should be to turn over with plugs out,
cant feel or hear it scraping , just feels stiffer,
it aint dragging the pick ups cos they been reset proper etc, just feels like sommats not right,
as said before it aint been started in a year,
and yeh will take plenty of pics if/when stripped down (y),
may need a full strip and check bearings/seals, theres no play on crank bearings i can feel as is though,
could be seals dragging, need to investigate :LOL:

Not much to it really ??? just getting the bearing shells on the right way ? they have jernals to keep the crank lubed?? but sure you got that??
yeh i got it doug (y)(y), at least i should have it :LOL:, stripped plenty engines before (2 and 4 stroke) so shouldnt be an issue,
centre bearings a split bearing if memory serves me right

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks