spents obr 57 twin dragon hammer,

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks john (y)(y),
yeh a mill and/or lathe is great for this hobby,
mine are just small hobby size, i'd like larger ones but the cost can get a bit over the top once toolings figured in as well,

I can imagine, I'd just like a small one. Wanting some small things first before I'd consider all of that

thanks john (y)(y),
yeh a mill and/or lathe is great for this hobby,
mine are just small hobby size, i'd like larger ones but the cost can get a bit over the top once toolings figured in as well,
I'd love a small mill and lath, but don't have room for even table top models currently. Have access to both but it's a bit of a haul and have to have projects finished before I leave... am a bit envious of you.. I'll let you know when property comes for sale near by, that way you can move over here lol.

I'd love a small mill and lath, but don't have room for even table top models currently. Have access to both but it's a bit of a haul and have to have projects finished before I leave... am a bit envious of you.. I'll let you know when property comes for sale near by, that way you can move over here lol.
lmao, missed this post, i would honestly love to live in the states sean (y),
never gonna happen unless i win the lotto though :ROFLMAO:
and got some more done, slow progress, getting the time spare as usual :LOL:,
so pistons fitted, heads on and torqued down, heatsink fitted and the clutch carrier fitted,,

engine turns over super smooth and nice fresh shiny internals now (y),

flywheel fitted and torqued down,
now the pum flywheels are recommended to be fitted with plenty of loctite on the crank and bore of the flywheel according to rcmk,
story is they tend to come loose quite easy,
so loctite on the crank and flywheel but fitted and tightened with a normal flywheel/crank nut with no loctite on the threads and left overnight to cure up a bit,

next day spun the nut off and fitted the starter pawl doodad, tightened up etc,
also checked pull start spacing cos i altered a bit on the mounting for it, all good though,

then fitted the clutch, bell carrier/engine mount and a few other bits n bobs,
pull start carrier will need to come off again to fit and gap the primary coils/pickups,
also got this far cos the engine needs to go into the hammer to line up and tighten down the flywheel end engine mount, then engine out again to finish coils etc,

Last edited:
so engine back in the hammer to get the flywheel end engine mount lined up and tightened up,

loose fitted everything cos i couldnt remember why the OBR intakes wouldnt fit,
yep, they don't cos there in the wrong place, so will use my home made ones again (y):D,

and engine back out again so i can add coils etc, mounts all lined up now so engine will bolt straight in next time with no adjustment needed (y),
next job is mod the new carbs, which just means popping the end off the throttle shaft on one carb and also remove a piece of the bottom plate on one carb to take away the idle screww on that one,
then remove the return spring off the other carb,
if i have bearing i will bearing mod the new carbs as well, if not then they can be fitted as they are,
also had a panic on cos i lost the centre part to the carb links, founs 3 hours later under the bench :ROFLMAO:,
i could have made a new section if i had to, cant find the links new in the uk at moment, would have had to get one from gizmo,
currently having a workshop tidy up cos its a mess again, hence me losing the link part :LOL:,

and a pic of our resident hedgehog thats living in our garden :LOL:,
not the best of pics cos it was going dark and took the pic through the window so not to scare the little fella,
we leave some meal worms out for him every night and some fresh water (y):LOL:,

new carbs now been modified (y), removed the idle screw bracket and return spring from the clutch end carb and popped the plate off the end ,
reduced the length of the throttle arms so the throttle link fits properly,
then fitted temporarily without the intakes to set the throttle butterflies so they're in now in sync,
insulator blocks given a light lap to make sure they're flat as well,
chokes left in, flywheel end ones useless cos cant get a lever on it to operate, but i've found with twin its always better to have one working choke on the clutch end to get a pop when starting, always starts better that way and drags the other cylinder into life (y)

I can hardly wait Paul
Happy Dance GIF by U.S. Soccer Federation

so took the time to correct a mistake on my part (y):LOL:,
i noticed ages ago when i took he air intakes and carbs off that the carbs wernt sealed fully, they shoulda been cos they were torqued down proper etc,
but realised that when i made the intakes when they were tightened down they came slack a tad and caused some weepage at the carbs gaskets,
this is how they were, no support for the bolts,

so i re machined the inside of the intakes a bit, then made some crush tubes,

so now when they're torqued down they will stay torqued down (y),
just need to re seal the front and rear sections together and give em a buff up on the outside again,

came to the conclusion that my back plates are too thin, 2.5mm at the thinnest,
and they do flex a tad :LOL:
so rough cut two fresh pieces of 6068 alloy to make a fresh pair,
fresh stuffs 12mm thick and i;m gonna make em slightly different,
but so they will work with the front part of the airboxes (y),

made a proper start on the new intake back plates,
intake hole is small at moment, only did it small to make sure i had it in the right place :LOL:,
that hole will be bored out to right size later on (y),
i had to start again with one of em as well, i cut to the wrong line with the mill and fecked it up 🤦‍♂️:ROFLMAO:,
pic of old on the top and new ones below, they need more work yet then will slim them down to around 6mm thick where they were 2.5mm before,

this time i cut a recess so they will sit 3mm inside the airboxes, then 3mm outside,
so they shouldnt flex anymore (y),

skinnied the back plates up a bit today (y),
down to 6mm at there thinnest now, need as much space as possible to fit stuff in with the hammer :LOL:.

also bored out the holes for the intake as well,

its all fiddly shaping and finishing from here with em,
the main parts are done now (y),

new backplates now fully shaped and blended into the air boxes (y),

also done some shaping inside, needs a little more yet though,

times been tight for some reason as well,
mrs spents been away visiting her family over in ireland the last three weeks,
she asked me to repair and redo her bird table while she was away, well i started it yesterday and she's due back tomorrow, possibly late tonight cos she's on the ferry now :LOL:,
wood stain takes 18 hours to dry and her precious bird table looks like this below,
i'm fecked :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:,

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks