spents obr 57 twin dragon hammer,

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spents its not your coil dragging is it?
I went through my 30DNT after not running it since last year, started it, let it warm up and was fine until I revved it, it stopped and pull starter was tight, pulled plug and still tight, pulled fan cover off to see coil sat on flywheel at magnetic pickup point, a slow turn by hand confirmed thats what it was.
Worth a check before pulling heads fella.

Spents its not your coil dragging is it?
I went through my 30DNT after not running it since last year, started it, let it warm up and was fine until I revved it, it stopped and pull starter was tight, pulled plug and still tight, pulled fan cover off to see coil sat on flywheel at magnetic pickup point, a slow turn by hand confirmed thats what it was.
Worth a check before pulling heads fella.
nah defo not the coils kev, i only reset em last month mate, (y),
i will double check again before fully stripping it down though,
i'm leaning towards it being gummed up tbh, i used to run nothing but castrol R oil and shell v power petrol in it,
then decided for some weird reason to change oils just to try sommat different,
changed to rock oil synthesis 2, it never ran the same on that oil,
i did flush the engine before changing oils though, but maybe the rock oil just gums up or sommat,
think i'm gonna change back to castrol R cos the twin loved the stuff, a bit more smoky with the castrol but a bit o smoke is fine, and castrol smells mint :D,
will find out this afternoon if engines gummed or not, or any other issues etc (y),

nah defo not the coils kev, i only reset em last month mate, (y),
i will double check again before fully stripping it down though,
i'm leaning towards it being gummed up tbh, i used to run nothing but castrol R oil and shell v power petrol in it,
then decided for some weird reason to change oils just to try sommat different,
changed to rock oil synthesis 2, it never ran the same on that oil,
i did flush the engine before changing oils though, but maybe the rock oil just gums up or sommat,
think i'm gonna change back to castrol R cos the twin loved the stuff, a bit more smoky with the castrol but a bit o smoke is fine, and castrol smells mint :D,
will find out this afternoon if engines gummed or not, or any other issues etc (y),

I use Castrol Power or something like that but need to buy some more as my 1 litre bottle is about done, I also only run with VPower even with my KM/30 degrees engines.

I was just hoping for something simple for you fella rather than a full strip down.

I use Castrol Power or something like that but need to buy some more as my 1 litre bottle is about done, I also only run with VPower even with my KM/30 degrees engines.

I was just hoping for something simple for you fella rather than a full strip down.
yeh castrol power 1 kev, thats what i was using, semi synthetic clean burn stuff (y),
castrol keep changing there packaging every few months for some reason,
but basically castrol R, or very similar smells like castrol R :ROFLMAO:
and thanks kev, yeh, its just sommat that needs doing i think , stripdown and check over/proper clean out etc,
could do with fresh plugs an all tbh,
not even started getting engine outa the hammer yet tbh, was clearing workshop up cos its in a bad state ,
then went out and bought 10 litres of fresh vpower and a bottle of power 1 (y),

Castrol A747 is the one that smells like the old R, burning castor oil
I use nothing but this
Cheers
Dave :)
i find the power 1 smells like castrol R Dave , might just be my sense of smell :ROFLMAO:,
the power 1 clings to yer clothes for a day afterwards as well :LOL:
but any castrol product is good in my view (y), never tried the A747 before though,
i did run the twin for around 3 years on castrol, then just decided to try the rock oil,
wish i hadn't bothered now tbh,

Go grab a can of wd40 and spray it down the carb holes and see if she frees up mate, should give you an indication if its gummed up or not.
lol sean, i did that after i took the engine out, and yes it freed up a tad ?‍♂️:LOL:,
so looks like yes it was a bit gummed,
gonna pull the heads and flush it all out i think, no need to strip the bottom end if it don't need it,
cant feel any play on bearings vertical or lateral/endfloat, so probably just a clean up/out and back together (y)
so the hammer is engineless now :LOL:,

spent most the day tidying out the workshop, but engine on the bench now,
as said above to sean and seans suggestion of wd40 and turn over etc, well looks like it was gummed a bit with being stood so long,
so will pull the heads tomorrow (hungry now :ROFLMAO:), then flush it all out and put back together,
need to order some new plugs cos the ones in there are quite old and well used tbh,
then i'll finish the bushing for the pull start and see what happens (y)(y),

Last edited:
soooo, stripped the heads off and all is well tbh (y),
just a tad gummed up, but much less than i was expecting,

burn patterns on piston tops are very similar,

bores are fine for now, there is a couple of score marks on the clutch side bore, but can hardly feel em tbh,

clutch side piston score marks, same as bore , can hardly feel em, must have sucked a bit o grit at some point :LOL:,

couple of pics of the case, nothing bad, just a tad gummed and a bit o black oily crap in there, no grit or owt, all bearings seem fine an all (y) (y) ,
clutch side,

and flywheel side,

will just give it a really good flush, add a tad of castrol to the bearings, pistons etc then reassemble i think (y)(y),
thought i had gaskets, but nope, so ordered fresh head gaskets plus a couple of full 4 bolt gasket sets,
also some new plugs and two carb rebuild kits, may as well do the carbs fully with fresh bits while i'm on with it,
then will see what happens when i get the pull start back together,
am so tempted to juts make a roto starter adapter and be done wi pull starts on the twin, may pesevere with it for now though :ROFLMAO:,
and i'll flush the engine when gaskets arrive, just had an email saying they'll be here tomorrow (y)

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks