Spring steel vs 316 stainless

Z.hb71

Which one is stronger? And how much heat is spring steel resistant to? It's for some shims

Z.hb71

Too much heat and spring steel will lose its temper. And most likely wouldnt be needed for this application. I would think the stainless would work fine
Thx. One more question, would hardened spring steel be better? Becuase that's all that Fastenal sells and as stated in my Build thead, that I need everything asap but obviously don't want to. Rush and get some crap that will melt and /or disintegrate into the engine

Last edited:

dougstar

Thx. One more question, would hardened spring steel be better? Becuase that's all that Fastenal sells and as stated in my Build thead, that I need everything asap but obviously don't want to. Rush and get some crap that will melt and /or disintegrate into the engine
Get it πŸ‘πŸ» are theses what you wanna use for shims?

Seandonato73

Hardend is fine normally we just used hardened steel washer or stainless for shims in our engines but they were all made for that type of thing. I think we got them from a company called pioneer.

Z.hb71

Yeah ought to be.
https://www.mcmaster.com/shims
They have a nice selection. I called one of my machinist buddy's and asked where we used to get them from and he said the company got bought out and all their shims now come from McMaster carr now.
K thx. If Fastenal doesn't have the ones I need in stock in my near by store, then I'll order from McMaster Carr.