Squish clearance.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

21bangbang

Has a well-known member
Build Thread Contributor
Rebuilding a 29cc with a ESP head and 1mm longer connecting rod. Using the lead solder method, I measured my clearance at roughly .19thousands. Now from what I understand that is really not enough room for safe operation. The motor spins freely by hand, but I assume at WOT, im gonna smack the piston into the head. Worried about this I went to my local small engine repair shop for guidance. Long story short he said I would be fine. He builds competition chainsaws and was 100% confident I can run this motor. So just curious if any of you have run a very tight squish, and just how low did you go. Any issues? Did the higher compression effect power in a good or bad way? Heat issues? Appreciate any responses.

Under normal conditions I wont go bellow 0.020" I've had saws I've done heavy port work turn out 0.015" or less. I normally shim for 0.020" never had an issue. 0.019" shouldn't be an issue. Theres more to squish then just the clearance till the piston smacks the head, but honestly we've covered this a few times now. I would assume these kits are made to be tossed on with a stock gasket, and I would also assume most people don't bother to check squish. So I'm sure there are guys with much tighter clearance then 0.017 or 0.019" and just don't know it.

I'm also running an ESP head. Allan said I could go as low as .012 for more power. I'm at .016 and it's running great. I however don't have the long stroke conrod.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks