Stainless VS Steel

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HarleyDan

OK, we all know that high grade stainless steel does not rust or corrode, but there are different types of ferrous steel which are much stronger than stainless.
I am not certain as to which should be used throughout my Baja.... Some ads boast that stainless are better while many boast the opposite.

I really don't play with it in the mud or wet areas, generally just grassy fields, dirt etc... Maybe sand in the future.

I checked out Fast Eddies website (didn't see a specific screw kit for the Baja), but they are all stainless, where many other sites push the ferrous steel hardware.

Any insight would be appreciated.

i got a set of Tonys screw installed on a SS Roller i bought. i noticed, they were looking a tad rusty in appearance. would be a good idea to give them a light wd40 spray and dry them off a bit before you install them. other than that, the bolts seem top rate.

I don't think FE does a screw kit, but did offer one at one time. Stainless doesn't rust, but it seems some of it may strip or break easier. just my experience with some of them.

i got a set of Tonys screw installed on a SS Roller i bought. i noticed, they were looking a tad rusty in appearance. would be a good idea to give them a light wd40 spray and dry them off a bit before you install them. other than that, the bolts seem top rate.

I don't think FE does a screw kit, but did offer one at one time. Stainless doesn't rust, but it seems some of it may strip or break easier. just my experience with some of them.

Team fast eddie does have many screw kits..... thanx for the info........

Stainless screws are fine to use in low stress applications, like the little screws in your beadlocks, or holding a spark plug protector to your stock plastic roll cage.

But when bolting metal to metal you want to use a stronger grade of bolt. Grade 12.9 metric bolts is about the strongest you can get.

I would agree with most here. In buying many stainless steel screws for work the good grade of stainless will not corrode the materials you are working with but, they are softer and have less strength then a steel screw. We had a problem rounding off the tips on the stainless when drilling into steel sheet metal. So in some applications we need to order stainless screws with carbon added to the threading so that we can get a self tapping bit installed on the screw. This allows the stainless screw to harden enough so that it will not round off and melt off the tip when drilling into steel or another stronger metal. In doing this it is also not corrosion resistant as a fully stainless screw was. They keep the head of the screw fully stainless and only add the carbon to the threads which is buried into the material we are screwing it to and the head is exposed and will not mark the materials (Aluminum).

Stainless is pretty and non corrosive but a good strong steel screw is best just keep them sprayed down every once in a while and they will keep from rusting.:)

There are many grades of stainless steel some are stronger than others. High grade stainless 316 for example is very resistant to rust,chemicals,etc.. But not very strong. Lower grade stainless will rust and pit a little easier, but is much stronger. I do alot of tig welding on stainless tubing at work, for food processing equipment. And we use alot of stainless nuts and bolts.

Well, I know this is an old post but just my two cents. The stainless screws also will gall up in aluminum parts when you try to remove them after a while, sometime instantly.

Well, I know this is an old post but just my two cents. The stainless screws also will gall up in aluminum parts when you try to remove them after a while, sometime instantly.

I second the SS gall up aluminum and SS. I've worked at a company that uses antiseize on SS screw before installing them.

However, I would still use SS screws if you are driving into plastic. Plastic is weaker of the two so I wouldn’t worry on breaking the screw.

I live in the North East and the road are heavily salted in the winter and it can be a pain hoising down your car after a few ride or use a Q-tip to coat all steel screws with WD40.

ok just picked up on the conversation there and said i would add that for my fg i recently purchased a set of stainless screw kit (here in the states) i wont say what company though,now these were supposed to be great lots of talk about them,hex heads and allen heads in the set .

my god talk of rubbish,every time i tryed to take one out it stripped or snapped...............:nono:

very annoying, pure soft!
hard to get good screws.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks