Steel spur and pinion gears

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walkingtall

Hey guys,

This may seem like a stupid question but I will ask anyway. I have the steel pinion and spur gear for my Hammer and was wondering if there was a spur gear mount or if the alloy adapter was all I needed? Do I need to rubber pieces from the stock gear mount? Also I was wondering if the spur gear moves up and down on the shaft after it is installed or should I put a washer behind it to keep it still. I hope this makes since.

Walkingtall

Hey guys,

This may seem like a stupid question but I will ask anyway. I have the steel pinion and spur gear for my Hammer and was wondering if there was a spur gear mount or if the alloy adapter was all I needed? Do I need to rubber pieces from the stock gear mount? Also I was wondering if the spur gear moves up and down on the shaft after it is installed or should I put a washer behind it to keep it still. I hope this makes since.

Walkingtall

Where are you getting the parts? If they are the pinion, spur and carrier from Fg hop ups that will be all you need. Yes, you will need to get them tight so there is no play. If you need washers there are washers sold by FG but in my oppinion you will not need them with that set up. If this does not answer the question give us a picture or two.:)

Where are you getting the parts? If they are the pinion, spur and carrier from Fg hop ups that will be all you need. Yes, you will need to get them tight so there is no play. If you need washers there are washers sold by FG but in my oppinion you will not need them with that set up. If this does not answer the question give us a picture or two.:)

Hey Bigger,

Yah I got the parts from Fg Hopups and when I put the spur gear on the shaft there is some play in and out. I am going to find some pics of some already installed just to make sure I am doing it corect.

Walkingtall

Hey Bigger,

Yah I got the parts from Fg Hopups and when I put the spur gear on the shaft there is some play in and out. I am going to find some pics of some already installed just to make sure I am doing it corect.

Walkingtall

Your doing it right, But the gear carrier may be thinner then the stock plastic one.
Is this the spur and carrier you got? http://www.fg-hopups.com/images/Steel_spur_and_alloy_carrier.JPG if so it is held on by grubs screws right? Take something and push the small transfer gear thats meshed with the differential ring gear under the carburetor area toward the gear side of the buggy, the gear should be tight against the shim and bearing on the large motor mount. The brake square which is the aluminum square item under the brake pads should be tight against the inside of the bearing on the gear plate. Make sure that the grub in the brake square is tight too. Then tighten your new carrier against the bearing on the gear plate, this should take up the loose space. There is a slight shim that should be molded in the aluminum on the new carrier this will go against the bearing so that the carrier does not rub on the gear plate, if not make sure it is not rubbing the plate, if it is get a shim and place it between the two.

To shim the mesh between the pinion and large spur you can use some FG shims that will fit on the layshaft or clutch bell shaft and move either out to get it exact.
FG washer shims - FG#6745 - http://www.rcnutshobbies.com/search.cgi?keywords=6745

See if that works, and good luck!:)

Last edited:
Oh ya,
In all of this confusion make sure the dang brake disks are on the brake square sometimes they fall off and get caught between the square and the gear plate. I think these little buggers can be what you want to tear apart when reinstalling everything.:eek:

As a few of you know, I'm waiting for the Firehammer MT to arrive in the mail.

In the meantime, I have a couple of questions.

I want to make certain, if anyone knows, if the following will fit on the Firehammer MT:

FG Alloy Differential Conversion Kit - 08484

Steel Gear Conversion Kit for FG - consists of 16 tooth steel pinion gear/FG6431, FG Steel Gear Wheel 48 Tooth/FG6048, and Steel Gear Adapter CNR6050.

I've seen the pinion and gear at fghopups but after reading that people don't get anything shipped very quickly, I would rather go another route. The above is at another online seller, if you PM, I'll send you the link. I don't want to break any rules here by posting links.

Thanks!
csp1971

FG Alloy Differential Conversion Kit - 08484
If the dif is like the Firehammer the gears inside are different and the teeth for the dif cups are also different so I don't think so.

Steel Gear Conversion Kit for FG - consists of 16 tooth steel pinion gear/FG6431, FG Steel Gear Wheel 48 Tooth/FG6048, and Steel Gear Adapter CNR6050.

All will work except for the 6431 again if like the FHammer it will be too big and not mesh due to the difference in the spacing of the large motor mount being different from FG. The only way you could make it work if it is like the DTFH would be to change the lg motor mount to FG and also change out the gear carrier to Fg which would be too much money and not worth the hassle. Your MT will already come with a small alloy motor mount so you will not need that one.

I've seen the pinion and gear at fghopups but after reading that people don't get anything shipped very quickly, I would rather go another route. The above is at another online seller, if you PM, I'll send you the link. I don't want to break any rules here by posting links.

Honestly I have ordered from him 3 times and he has always done right by me and its true he is NOT making a killing off the parts they are under the cost of what it would cost us to buy from over seas.

This will help you in what your DT part will cost from any DTX dealer.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0005p?&I=DTXD98**&P=PU

Last edited:
Good info Bigger, thanks again! I've looked at other forums and someone has told me that the diff case at tower has been on backorder for over a year. Since you and others have had good luck, I'll be ordering the gears from fghopups. That review on the DDM pipe is awesome! Was that you Bigger that did the review?

I've ordered this truck and haven't seen a large scale car in probably over 17 years. I recall someone bringing a 1/4 scale grand national car in the hobby shop I worked in at the time and I couldn't believe how big it was. Not much around here in the KC Missouri area for hobby shops. We have the typical hobbytown and a couple other non-franchised shops, but really nothing else.

This is one awesome forum. I'm feeling really good about my purchase and knowing that I at least have some excellent virtual support around!

Bigger/Frumpy/someone,

Will the FG 6432/2 19tooth steel pinion work with the Firehammer stock plastic 48t spur? fghopups is out of stock on the steel pinions at the moment.

Thanks!
csp1971

Bigger/Frumpy/someone,

Will the FG 6432/2 19tooth steel pinion work with the Firehammer stock plastic 48t spur? fghopups is out of stock on the steel pinions at the moment.

Thanks!
csp1971

It's not the same size as the firehammer one its larger and will not mesh. I replaced mine with the FG 19t and the FG 48t steel and it was just to tight and never realy loosened to my liking. You can use the FG 48T with a alloy carrier but the 19t needs to be the Firehammer one for mesh reasons due to the gear plate and large motor mount spacing being just slightly different.:(

Mark at Fghopups has always said he is not making high margin on overseas transactions. Here is where he orders from - http://www.rc-car-online.de/ritzel_eng.htm#6 - It will cost $33.80 for the 19T and not sure what shipping is from there. Mark has to wait till his order gets to be enough and then is not at the top of the shipping priority so that he can get the parts to us at a reasonable price.
Sure would be nice if someone would make the dang gear here.
Just stock up on the stock one until he can fill your order. He is usually out about 3-4 weeks on overseas transactions.:(

I got the Firehammer MT today! I came home early from work because of an errand and it arrived about 5 minutes after I walked in the door.

Love it! My 19 month old decided to climb on the back and sit on it. Wife told him to get down because she didn't want him to break it! LOL.

Of all the colors, I got purple, but for the price I got it for brand new, I'm not going to complain. I'll get a clear body eventually! Maybe I can put "prince" on the license plate.

I'll post some pics later or at least somewhere they can be viewed! I'm pretty pumped up about it.

I spoke to a guy at largescalerc about the 19 tooth this morning. He said he had tried it too and it was fairly tight and didn't recommend it. Oh well, I'll wait until he gets them in. There are a few guys at the "other" forum that are looking for them as well right now. I ordered several spare pinions and spur gears last night from ebay since tower seems to have everything available in "mid-may". Oh well! After the pinion, next hopup will be the ddm or jetpro pipe!

Congrats! Sounds like your going to start having fun instead of dreaming about it.:clown:
I've seen the mid - top DDM pipe on the FHMT in the FHMT videos and it works great. Keep an eye on ebay right now for a good deal on one. It does not make much difference if its black or chrome you really cant see it with the body on.

Have fun......

This is going to be awesome. I'm now excited about getting a tuned pipe. I may order a few of those pinions from overseas and then find a couple people to purchase the extras. I'll have to think about that though. I asked the fghopups guy when he might expect them, but he hasn't responded. I read that he has another business as well so I can understand him being very busy.

I also spoke with another person in another forum that was pretty certain FG gears would work because he uses them on his Firehammer. It all seems a bit risky to me to purchase stuff I'm not certain will fit. Sounds like FG vs. Duratrax gears are different pitches??

I can't wait to break in the engine. Would Castrol 2 cycle motorcycle oil be okay to use? Or should I get something else at a motorcycle shop? I'm hoping in the next couple days I can get a couple hours in after my son goes to bed to begin the break-in process!

Anyway, attached is a pic of my truck with my other trucks. Thanks everyone for all your help! Expect more questions sometime soon.

Attachments

• alltrucks.jpg
    alltrucks.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 20
  • truckhornet.jpg
    truckhornet.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 20
Its too clean its too clean!!!!:clown:

Here is a photo of the 19TFG with the Stock FH19T you can see the size difference. You will not be able to get the 19Tfg on with the stock carrier and the stock 48T it will NOT fit. With the FireHammer I had to use a alloy CNR carrier and the alloy FG48T and it still is a tight fit with no room but it did eventually wear to be slightly looser. I would wait and get the right one.
Roughly here is the two teeth on the gears miked out it is just enough of a difference to make a difference:
Fg
32.8mm O.D.
26.3mm I.D.

FH
31 mm O.D.
24.5mm I.D.

Use the best oil you can find it goes a long way. I use Amsoil Sabre Pro at 25:1 but there is a oil mix post you can look at for other comparable brands we all use.

Have fun!:)

Attachments

• DSC03011.jpg
    DSC03011.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 31
  • DSC03012.jpg
    DSC03012.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC03015.jpg
    DSC03015.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 24
B&B- All I can say is THANK YOU for posting those pics!!!! Seriously, I ordered a 19t Firehammer pinion and large engine mount from Hobbythek today because I was worried that the pitch would be different. I'm glad I did!!! I paid a bit, but oh well! I only purchased the large because the FHMT has the alloy small one already. One of these evenings, I'll get to break in the engine. Tonight rainstorms, so I'm out of luck today!

At least you didn't say "it's too purple, it's too purple"! :)

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks