Steering servo upgrade ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Polar_Bus

Hey guys,
I'm at the point where i'm done screwing around with sub-par steering servos. My Rovan stock was unbelievably junk for steering response. I then upgraded to an alloy steering rack assembly , alloy steering arm , and the Hitec HS-5805MG https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bi...prd-&msclkid=00c3679d3bc51992b3fb38ba14eaca86

and still I just can't get my Rovan to turn ! I literally am turning using either hard acceleration, or countersteering and jabbing the brakes . The HS-5805MG is rated at 275 oz/in @ 4.8V and i'm running a 6V hump pack, and you would think this would be enough but still my turning performance SUCKS. Would like to hear what you guys are running for servos' Thanks !

Hey guys,
I'm at the point where i'm done screwing around with sub-par steering servos. My Rovan stock was unbelievably junk for steering response. I then upgraded to an alloy steering rack assembly , alloy steering arm , and the Hitec HS-5805MG https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bi...prd-&msclkid=00c3679d3bc51992b3fb38ba14eaca86

and still I just can't get my Rovan to turn ! I literally am turning using either hard acceleration, or countersteering and jabbing the brakes . The HS-5805MG is rated at 275 oz/in @ 4.8V and i'm running a 6V hump pack, and you would think this would be enough but still my turning performance SUCKS. Would like to hear what you guys are running for servos' Thanks !

What about your steering throw on the radio settings?...:unsure:

So if I go with the 7.4V lipo do you think my Hitec HS-5805MG will gain a decent amount of torque output ? This just blows because I have 2 fairly new Venom 6V 5000mah hump packs that I payed $32 ea , and the fairly new Hitec servo was $65 . I just don't want to throw another $130 if I can maybe work with what I already have.

I've been running that same servo since 2009 and it turns my baja just fine I've only recently switched to a LiFe battery. Have you checked the tension on the servo saver? If you set it on the ground and try turning the wheels, do they move at all?

Here's my setup. Yours should work just like this for proper steering:

I've been running that same servo since 2009 and it turns my baja just fine I've only recently switched to a LiFe battery. Have you checked the tension on the servo saver? If you set it on the ground and try turning the wheels, do they move at all?

Here's my setup. Yours should work just like this for proper steering:

Thanks for posting the vid. I literally just checked my steering and I definately have some issues going on with the rack. First, I see some unwanted slop travel (like the servo saver spring is too weak (or I have it adjusted too lightly. Second I see some gouge marks in the chassis directly under the servo saver spring adjustment bolt (like the bolt is too long and jamming against the chassis pan. I'm going to take everything apart and have a close look at what's going on, now that I see this, i'm willing to bet this is my problem(s) . Thanks again for getting me to think in a different direction other than just throwing new parts in !

Thanks for posting the vid. I literally just checked my steering and I definately have some issues going on with the rack. First, I see some unwanted slop travel (like the servo saver spring is too weak (or I have it adjusted too lightly. Second I see some gouge marks in the chassis directly under the servo saver spring adjustment bolt (like the bolt is too long and jamming against the chassis pan. I'm going to take everything apart and have a close look at what's going on, now that I see this, i'm willing to bet this is my problem(s) . Thanks again for getting me to think in a different direction other than just throwing new parts in !

If the chassy is bent ,it will put the steering in a bind as the steering rack fits into the holes in the chassy ,so check your chassy!

If the chassy is bent ,it will put the steering in a bind as the steering rack fits into the holes in the chassy ,so check your chassy!

Pretty sure my chassis is fine, i've never really crash catapulted my chassis to the point where I bent something . Nonetheless, i'll keep this in mind !
Glad I could help! I'm a cheap ass, so I'm all about making what I have on hand work if possible. Hopefully taking care of the binding will work out and you can get back to having fun!

OK so this begs another question, how tight do you adjust your servo saver ? Is there some type of method or is it just adjust tight enough to have good cornering ?

Till it doesn't move without some good force on the tires. Remember it's just there if you hit something with the tires so the runt of the hit doesn't get to your servo saver. I did this same mistake with my db. Then went back and tightened it up a good bit. Problem solved.

What's the best servo to install on my HPI Baja 5T so I could run lipo batteries at 7.4 volts at least.

Or are the Stock HPI SF-4 Servo on throttle and HPI SFL-11MG for the steering handle 7.4 volts and not burn out? I am trying to keep my Baja HPI stock still and would not want to swap out parts but 6Volts sucks.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks