Striped bolt holes.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lod123

Hi guys. I got a dominator pipe for my Baja. Took it out for a test and crashed it. The way i landed bent the pipe, broke the mounting bracket and striped one of the bolt holes on the exhaust port. Any suggestions on how to fix the bolt hole

Is there enough thread left, to use a Helicoil. I've done this before where it was so bad, I used thread locker on a helicoil with very little thread left to hold it in. When I couldnt drill and re-tap for a slightly larger size bolt.

Last edited:
As @jbl302 stated try that, if that doesn't work get a stud the same size as the bolt and put some job weld in the hole as well as on the stud and put it in there as straight as you can. This works very well, and is much better than a screw.

As mentioned. I have also had good luck using JB Weld on aluminum, and centering a stud straight with a nut and a small spacer until it sets. Then use a nut to tighten down.

can't remember the name of this thread repair epoxy i got it from napa, i was a 3 part process you mixed the epoxy together put it in the hole , coated the bolt with a release agent, thread the bolt into the hole and let it sit over nite, remove the bolt, sand off the excess and you have threads good for 800 ftlbs

I tried all of those methods the other members are talking about. It was only a temporary fix, due to the engine heat degraded the epoxy. A sure way to fix it is replace the head

If none of the above work and you have a decent head you would like to keep it. Look up something called Alumaloy. You will need a torch. You cant use it like melting solder, it wont stick. You have to get the surface up to 750° and then let the surface melt the rod. You can then drill and re-tap. If done correct, this stuff works great.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks