stuck bearing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nsuleman

Hello:

I took my Baja 5T transmission apart and looks like the 2 small bearings are stuck onto the differential shaft. Tried to pull one off and it came apart. inner races are stuck onto the shaft. Any ideas? Thank you

Thanks - here is a photo of 2 shaft, one intact bearing, one with the inner race

Attachments

• IMG-4514.JPG
    IMG-4514.JPG
    110.7 KB · Views: 19
As mentioned heat first. If there is any space under it, a small puller can be used to pull it off. I have even made a few pullers over the years to pull off bearings, collars, etc. using some brackets and hardware.

Thanks - here is a photo of 2 shaft, one intact bearing, one with the inner race

Put the shafts in the freezer overnight. Use gloves and quickly heat just the bearing with a propane torch , use a screwdriver and pry the race up along the shaft . You also might be able to clamp the race in a vise and hammer the shaft to work the race off the shaft. The key is to work quickly so as to not let the shafts get hot and expand. May take a few "freeze-n-heat" tries but you should be able to get the bearings off without too much fuss. If the bearings are really stubborn coming loose it's possible the bearing races galled up the shafts from siezure. If that's the case, then just toss the shafts in the trash and buy new parts.

got both off
the inner race that was stuck on the shaft - dremel and carbide burr. Marred the shaft a little but still smooth
the other intact bearing with a letter opener below the bearing - damaged the outer race
so both useless bearings
I think the problem was the shaft diameter, which got better with a little sanding
both stock and TFE bearings slip on just right
Thank you:)

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks