Stuttering when driving.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you go too lean the engine will run pretty hot and you will melt off the exhaust coupler
You have the stock engine?
A quarter turn shouldn’t be too lean from stock settings
Run it full throttle on a long straight stretch and hit the engine kill on the transmitter while you are going full throttle and check your plug to see what color it is
If it’s gray/white your too lean
Black is too rich
You want a cardboard box brown color
Your plug method is wrong. Thats how you check a 4 stroke. 2 stroke needs a warm engine, new plug and you check for top end at the top of the insulator behind the plug threads. Normally you chop the threads off the plug, or get a plug scope. Your brown color at the bottom of the plug is a general tune not a top end tune.

I never went as far as to do the “plug chop”. I personally think it’s a waste of plugs
Been tuning a couple banshees for quite a few years and haven’t blown up an engine yet. I make sure the plugs are on the darker side and have had no issues
I’m not too concerned about squeezing every last bit of performance out of an engine I’d rather it be a rich then lean
Have hpi Baja’s with Trevor Simpson engines and they still run like new after many years, same with my 5ive and dbxl
Must be doing something right as I haven’t had to rebuild any of them
I don’t claim to be a know it all either so I don’t doubt there are different and better ways to check a plug
Most hobbyists aren”t going to go to the effort to chop plugs

Most people don't because they don't know how to read a plug. With all your 2 stroke experience you should know that the tip color is a general state of tune. A plug chop also shows if your running your timing right or too far advanced/retarded. A $4.00 plug chop is cheap insurance to know your engine is running as it should. If you best advice is just get it close then you may as well not even bother looking at it. Run your engines how you want but don't give bad advise and quantify it with shite. I've had too many engines apart that guy said ran fine but ended up at the machine shop for a rebuild. I've posted extensively on plug information and using it to tune a 2 stroke. Use the search function and find it. You'll learn lots of valuable Information from a $4.00 plug if read correctly.

Most people don't because they don't know how to read a plug. With all your 2 stroke experience you should know that the tip color is a general state of tune. A plug chop also shows if your running your timing right or too far advanced/retarded. A $4.00 plug chop is cheap insurance to know your engine is running as it should. If you best advice is just get it close then you may as well not even bother looking at it. Run your engines how you want but don't give bad advise and quantify it with shite. I've had too many engines apart that guy said ran fine but ended up at the machine shop for a rebuild. I've posted extensively on plug information and using it to tune a 2 stroke. Use the search function and find it. You'll learn lots of valuable Information from a $4.00 plug if read correctly.
Think my next run im gonna throw a fresh plug in and do like you suggested to confirm my tune. Good cheap assurance. 😎

You can't really tell someone what they needles should be set at, but rather a general idea. What works for me here in humid arse pa may not be right for you wherever you are located at. But it may be close. Just keep fiddling with it till you like how it runs.
Fully agree sir. Was more over refering to where the "stock" setting was. I am way closer to 1.5 turns out now. Just my setting...not a recommendation. 😎

Ok sounds good. At full throttle the engine seems like there’s definitely more to give. It’s almost like it’s struggling to get to full power. I think I gotta lean it out more

Sounds like a funny trick, but a good fellow on here had me check this video. Not at all because of who posted it, but was good to listen to the tune of the Raminator. Jump to 7:50ish and listen to how it runs through all aspects of the RPMs. I was running rich and my top end would just fall flat and feel bogging.
This is how your Raminator should sound and sounds almost exactly like mine does through the full range.

Ok thanks for the vid. I think mine is around there for sound and power. I just pulled the plug and she is a nice golden brown. I was expecting black but no. Not sure I can lean it out anymore.

I’ve found that the stock engine in the ram runs out of steam pretty quick on the top end
These engines just don’t rev out like a zenoah does
If your happy with how it runs and you know your not too lean then I’d leave it as is

Hey deathrawt, your in Canada right? Would u be interested in buying another Raminator. I’m selling mine right now. Tired of it.
Yup I am in Kanaduh
If I didn't already have two of them I would for sure be interested in it,
How come your tired of it? too many issues with it?
Mine pissed me off the other day it was running fantastic and then it just started bogging and dying for no reason. Let it cool off for a bit and changed the plug and its good again. I think it got too hot it was 32deg c outside. I was playing with the different gear ratios too so had the truck sitting nose down for a while a few times maybe that had something to do with it
Its a super fun truck but ya i get it that it isn't for everyone, especially if you have to haul it around in order to run it. I am lucky I got a quarter section of land so can drive it out of the garage and go play
I'll keep my ears open and ask a few guys i know if they would like to buy it. Lots of people love my raminator and mega truck but just can't justify the cost for them, especially once you start upgrading them. The taylor 50 GT I put in the ram is 3/4 of the price of the truck itself!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks