Suggestions for replacement engine on rovan 5sc

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zach619

So my rovan 5sc 36cc engine is dead. I have done everything I know to do and even asked on here as to how to get it running. Nothing worked. So now it’s time to replace the engine. Not wanting to go stock replacement so what are my options. I have heard good things about zenoah and OBR engines! So who has a suggestion for an exact engine that will fit in my car? I haven’t found too much about which ones will actually fit in my car without modification. Has anyone done an engine swap on this car and have a suggestion as to which engine I should put in my car??

So my rovan 5sc 36cc engine is dead. I have done everything I know to do and even asked on here as to how to get it running. Nothing worked. So now it’s time to replace the engine. Not wanting to go stock replacement so what are my options. I have heard good things about zenoah and OBR engines! So who has a suggestion for an exact engine that will fit in my car? I haven’t found too much about which ones will actually fit in my car without modification. Has anyone done an engine swap on this car and have a suggestion as to which engine I should put in my car??
Zenoahs and OBR are direct drop ins. I'd get a zenoah g320 long block if you want to go the cheap route, if you want to spend a bit more, I'd get a OBR Engine of ur choice, here's all the obr long blocks
http://www.oneillbrothers.com/rc-car/engines/prostock-ported-full-mod-long-blocks.html
Also a long block is bassically a engine without a clutch system, pull start, flywheel, ignition coil, engine shroud, carb, and intake manifold so it's much cheaper than a complete engine and all of that stuff I listed can be took off of your existing 36cc rovan and fitted to it. Now if ur looking for a "big bore" like a 40cc+, well here's ur options
https://www.alxengines-shop.com/shop/engine-kit-baja-hpi/
All of those numbers for price on the site are euros and are just a deposit, so you'll end up spending alot more. And
https://www.rcmax.co.uk/rcmax-big-bore-engines
With those big ass engines, you'll have to upgrade everything in ur drive train to handle it, the stock 45cc rovan wasn't a true big bore, it is a 45cc but it's a total dog for a 45cc, it can be ported and become fast but still a rcmax or alx will likely spank it anyways. There's other companies like Oddified rc, red arrow, bartolone, Scott Finlay, ect that do make engines aswell but they are more expensive. Now since If ur not gunna go for a big bore, I'd get the OBR g340 9.4Hp long block but I'm a go big or go home type of dude

Zenoahs and OBR are direct drop ins. I'd get a zenoah g320 long block if you want to go the cheap route, if you want to spend a bit more, I'd get a OBR Engine of ur choice, here's all the obr long blocks
http://www.oneillbrothers.com/rc-car/engines/prostock-ported-full-mod-long-blocks.html
Also a long block is bassically a engine without a clutch system, pull start, flywheel, ignition coil, engine shroud, carb, and intake manifold so it's much cheaper than a complete engine and all of that stuff I listed can be took off of your existing 36cc rovan and fitted to it. Now if ur looking for a "big bore" like a 40cc+, well here's ur options
https://www.alxengines-shop.com/shop/engine-kit-baja-hpi/
All of those numbers for price on the site are euros and are just a deposit, so you'll end up spending alot more. And
https://www.rcmax.co.uk/rcmax-big-bore-engines
With those big ass engines, you'll have to upgrade everything in ur drive train to handle it, the stock 45cc rovan wasn't a true big bore, it is a 45cc but it's a total dog for a 45cc, it can be ported and become fast but still a rcmax or alx will likely spank it anyways. There's other companies like Oddified rc, red arrow, bartolone, Scott Finlay, ect that do make engines aswell but they are more expensive. Now since If ur not gunna go for a big bore, I'd get the OBR g340 9.4Hp long block but I'm a go big or go home type of dude
Ok so my rovan engine won’t run for unknown reasons so I don’t want to take parts from it to build into another engine. I have no idea why it won’t run and trust me when I tell you I have done everything except replace every part in order to try to get it running again. That’s why instead of spending the money on the rovan engine I’m just gonna swap it entirely. So I was looking at the g260rc and that look like a good price for what it is. Also I don’t need more power on my car than the rovan 36cc.as is I’m stripping gears and I can never keep traction with the power it’s got. I’d be ok with a downgrade in power to get up and running again. I plan on getting a new car probably next year but this one needs to keep me going till then without spending a fortune!

Ok so my rovan engine won’t run for unknown reasons so I don’t want to take parts from it to build into another engine. I have no idea why it won’t run and trust me when I tell you I have done everything except replace every part in order to try to get it running again. That’s why instead of spending the money on the rovan engine I’m just gonna swap it entirely. So I was looking at the g260rc and that look like a good price for what it is. Also I don’t need more power on my car than the rovan 36cc.as is I’m stripping gears and I can never keep traction with the power it’s got. I’d be ok with a downgrade in power to get up and running again. I plan on getting a new car probably next year but this one needs to keep me going till then without spending a fortune!
Taking those parts listed off ur old engine won't cause the new engine to not run as those you've tested work, your problem is inside the engine. A g260 is really under powered, I'd get a g290 if you want to downgrade, a g320 will provide the same power as the rovan just galaxies more reliable.

Taking those parts listed off ur old engine won't cause the new engine to not run as those you've tested work, your problem is inside the engine. A g260 is really under powered, I'd get a g290 if you want to downgrade, a g320 will provide the same power as the rovan just galaxies more reliable.
Well I don’t actually know what’s wrong with the old engine. I really don’t. Everything is in perfect condition it just will not run. Could be the flywheel or coil or anything. So I want to stay away from reusing parts from that set up. I just looked up the 320 and it’s not too bad on price. Any other suggestions though?

Well I don’t actually know what’s wrong with the old engine. I really don’t. Everything is in perfect condition it just will not run. Could be the flywheel or coil or anything. So I want to stay away from reusing parts from that set up. I just looked up the 320 and it’s not too bad on price. Any other suggestions though?
Nope. I don't have any other suggestions. 320 is a great platform because it's proven and if later down the road you want to get more power out of it, you can change the head, change cranks, do all kinda of stuff.

Nope. I don't have any other suggestions. 320 is a great platform because it's proven and if later down the road you want to get more power out of it, you can change the head, change cranks, do all kinda of stuff.
Ok thanks for your suggestion! ?

Get a rovan 45cc ;) if your local enough i have a stock one you can see how it throws my heavy losi about or replace your top end new cylinder piston and ring maybe its even a carb issue

He's already had one, he didn't have as good of luck as you did with yours.
Maybe he had an early batch the new cylinder etc is coated differently and stamped with their branding now plus ive just broken mine in and it really doesn't even need porting tons of power + the 36cc i had was reed ported did me proud sold it to a friend and hes still running it in his baja
Im just trying to help lol rovans are cheap and if you look after them they will last long enough and for that price you cant beat them im confident with rovan i know parts are cheap if something goes wrong

Last edited:
Maybe he had an early batch the new cylinder etc is coated differently and stamped with their branding now plus ive just broken mine in and it really doesn't even need porting tons of power + the 36cc i had was reed ported did me proud sold it to a friend and hes still running it in his baja
Im just trying to help lol rovans are cheap and if you look after them they will last long enough and for that price you cant beat them im confident with rovan i know parts are cheap if something goes wrong

I think Rovan engines may have left a bad taste in his mouth with this experience. I know I wouldn't buy another if after having one die and then trying to rebuild it and it still doesn't work.

As mentioned already. Pick up a G320 or an OBR . And then you can take your time and take the 36 a part and see if you can figure out what's wrong with it and save it for a backup .

I replaced my 36CC with a OBR 34CC reed case engine and have the 36 as a backup engine.

G320 Zenoah with after market pipe, you won’t be disappointed, why spend a lot of money on that modified stuff.

G320 Zenoah with after market pipe, you won’t be disappointed, why spend a lot of money on that modified stuff.
Does the pipe need to be something specially tuned or just something that is very wide open for top end??

Does the pipe need to be something specially tuned or just something that is very wide open for top end??
I went with the olimat non silenced, on stock g320...man! I don’t think it needs to be specific as far as top or bottom, just overall through the range, unless ur racing then it might get more detailed. There are a lot of pipes on the market but that g320 31.8cc is the start, I will get the same engine when this one fails.

I went with the olimat non silenced, on stock g320...man! I don’t think it needs to be specific as far as top or bottom, just overall through the range, unless ur racing then it might get more detailed. There are a lot of pipes on the market but that g320 31.8cc is the start, I will get the same engine when this one fails.
I have the G320R in my Baja it's a great motor??

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks