Super Cross servicing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sheriff1972

Hi,

I am what my eldest soon would call a 'noob'...

I have been thinking of getting a larger off road car and re-enter the hobby i left ages ago.

I took the plunge and bought a (in fact 2) supercross machines from Ebay.

They both need some work, but i would appreciate a brief run down or check list on what one should do to service / check for before running them.

For example, what should the toe in be set to, weight of oil for shocks, any special attention to pay to the bearings, re-greasing of the diff, renewing the air filter etc.

Anything to help the new boy would be welcome.

One car is as follows: no fail safe, standard brake system, Spektrum DX2 tranmitter and matching receiver (built in fail safe?).

The other, is potentially in better shape but needs servos fitting, and brakes to be sorted. Hydros on the front, cable on the rears. No radio gear for this one yet but i have the servos...

Thanks for any help.

Cheers from the UK

Sheriff

check all bolts for being tight. check bearings for cleanliness, repack and/or replace as needed.
i would redo the shocks, checking all o rings, and replace the oils.

as you take parts off, you can clean the sub assemblys up using WD-40 and some sunlight.

i spray the parts down, and set them to bake a bit in the sun, then use a scrub brush and/or air compressor to clean them up. the WD breaks up the old stuff, and the sun light warms the stuff up making it much much easier to get off. plus the left over residue from the WD leaves the aluminum or plastic looking clean and near new baring the gouges and dings.

use a small amout of Blue thead locker for botls going metal to metal.

if you find a piece that is plastic and stripped, Crazy glue may help hold the bolt/create some threads for the bolt to use.
if its aluminum thats stripped, only options are usually a longer bolt to some new threads if it will fit, a bolt/nut. or the next larger bolt (SAE or Metric) and a retap of the threads.

Good luck, and keep us up to date on the rebuilds.

i hear the Super Cross is a great model to use. you and the boys will enjoy them for sure>!

check all bolts for being tight. check bearings for cleanliness, repack and/or replace as needed.
i would redo the shocks, checking all o rings, and replace the oils.

as you take parts off, you can clean the sub assemblys up using WD-40 and some sunlight.

i spray the parts down, and set them to bake a bit in the sun, then use a scrub brush and/or air compressor to clean them up. the WD breaks up the old stuff, and the sun light warms the stuff up making it much much easier to get off. plus the left over residue from the WD leaves the aluminum or plastic looking clean and near new baring the gouges and dings.

use a small amout of Blue thead locker for botls going metal to metal.

if you find a piece that is plastic and stripped, Crazy glue may help hold the bolt/create some threads for the bolt to use.
if its aluminum thats stripped, only options are usually a longer bolt to some new threads if it will fit, a bolt/nut. or the next larger bolt (SAE or Metric) and a retap of the threads.

Good luck, and keep us up to date on the rebuilds.

i hear the Super Cross is a great model to use. you and the boys will enjoy them for sure>!

Thanks very much.

Wife is away until Sunday, so i have some time in the evening to get started.

I have 60 weight oil for the shocks - i guess i can start with this for front and rear?

Will post some pictures for when i get stuck...

Looking forward to bring these things back to life...

Cheers

Well, i have spent some time on the more basic Supercross of the two i have.

rebuilt the shocks all round, stripped and rebuilt rear suspension set up, as well as front, replaced two seized bearings (the oven / freezer tricks work a charm), set up the tracking and the toe in.

Re-greased the bits that needed it.

Wheels spinning in a true fashion and point in the right direction now!

Just need to replace one of the bolts that holds the upper section of the front arm as it was bent out of shape and compromised the vertical movement of the front set of wishbnes as a result.

I have replaced one of the bars of the roll cage also, as it just looks better.

I then took a metal file to the steering servo bracket and filed it so that it is flush with the chassis and thus a few mm of gap between itself and the newly fitted roll cage bar.

This car had obviously been around the block a few times, as the rear was built using what seemed to be random parts....

Anyway the thing runs as it should now - well at least as well as it should without having started the engine.

Can anyone please advise as to where they put their 6 cell receiver / servo battery and how they fix it to the chassis..?

Once i have done this i will be about an hour away from its first run...

Cheers

Sheriff

alot of those cars have a battery box off too one side. sometimes the pack goes by the gas tank.

i would find a good spot for it and use some velco or zip strips to hold it inplace. maybe check out the radio box offerings, and look at a few other SuperCrosses to see where theirs is mounted.

sounding like its coming along nicely. any pics of the cleanup work?

OK - well i have finished getting the first one up together. Will post a picture when i can figure out how to do it....

Anyway - i was getting very excited about the maiden voyage, i set up the Spektrum DX2 and receiver, and all seemed wel.

BUT - the things wont start....

The bubble fills with fuel, i took out the plug and it generates a small spark.

The pull start was not retracting well, so i took that apart and lubed it. This is now fine.

However, i have no idea what to try next.

What position should i start the H and L screws in....?

anything else to try or check....?

Hope this thing is worth the wait....

Cheers

Sheriff

Hi mate...Take both screws in till they stop.not to hard...just till they stop.......Then Undo the closest one to the engine 1 &1/4 turns.... and the other 1&1/2 turns....may find there is an oil blockage somewhere...Often is if the have been at for a while... the petrol evaperates and leaves an oil'y residue that can block things up....Hope this helps....

OK - well i have finished getting the first one up together. Will post a picture when i can figure out how to do it....

Anyway - i was getting very excited about the maiden voyage, i set up the Spektrum DX2 and receiver, and all seemed wel.

BUT - the things wont start....

The bubble fills with fuel, i took out the plug and it generates a small spark.

The pull start was not retracting well, so i took that apart and lubed it. This is now fine.

However, i have no idea what to try next.

What position should i start the H and L screws in....?

anything else to try or check....?

Hope this thing is worth the wait....

Cheers

Sheriff

try this thread
https://www.largescaleforums.com/showthread.php?t=8759

Hi, Just tried that, and stillno good.

Is there something i can spray somewhere, that can free things up and get rid of any blockage?

The car has been sat for a while, judging by the state of things.... The oil in the rear shocks, looked like engine oil that was well overdue a change...

Thanks for the reply.

Cheers

Sheriff

has your carb got a choke?????is the plug getting wet????????? if so turn moter over and pull a couple of times...And then pull again once you have put plug back in...if plug is dry then keep pumping the bulb and opening throttle to try an ghet fuel in to head...check the stop switch.....if no go.... maybe take carb off an blow it through.....

Hi, well, i checked the plug, by earthing it and pulling the start... The plug sparks fine.

The plug was wet, though so looks like it flooded.

I dried off the plug with a lighter, and turned the buggy upside down with throttle open a few times and some fuel (not a lot) came out.

I have left the plug out for now, and will let the thing dry out properly over night.

I would love to know about the tubes to and from the fuel tank and carb though. The reason i would like to know is the the other supercross, had fuel / airlines in a different configuration, and after looking at a couple of (poor) picture on the web went with what i thought was right.

One thing i did notice was that i filled the fuel tank to near the top, and i was getting fuel running up the Y shaped hoses and out of the back.

My son had a good laugh as i was about to blow up that tube when it dumped petrol into my mouth....

I hope i have done something stupid....

Thanks for your help so far

Cheers

Sheriff

Oops - sorry, forgot to say - no fail safes fitted, just relying on the DX2 for keeping a runaway from running away.

In fact right now - i would settle for a runaway... :)

How do i check if the engine stop button is working as it should?

Cheers

the inlet to the carb is the undernith one....the y shaped one is the breather....if u r getting fuel in then it must be set up o.k...i reckon it was flooded..don't let it dry all night.Put plug back in now and giv it a few pulls...just to see if it fires...if it does... turn straight off..at least u will know. and then u can start again tomorrow with peach of mind...

I would love to but my wife thinks i have gone AWOL after buying these two cars...

I work away during the week, so i will take the car and bits away with me and try it tomorrow....

Thanks for your help thusfar.

P.S. what is the best way to post some pictures to the forum?

Cheers

Tried it again last night (could not resist). Still no sign of firing.
Although I have a spark, it does seem a bit small....

One other strange thing is that there are some small White cylinders (about
three of them) floating around in the fuel tank. About 1.5 cm across and about 5cm long.

What do these do, and why are they there. They are not in my other car.

Cheers sheriff

You sure thats not the back of the gas cap in the tank? Not sure what 3 cylinders would be in the tank for?
You sure your getting fuel? Is the plug wet when you remove it?

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks