Talk about uneven tire wear 😮

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MonsterAir

Lone Racer 🤠
Not sure if I did this today or if it's slowly been happening since I started running them on the 5ive. Same wear on opposite corners, front right/rear left. I think we can tell which wheels are getting unloaded on lol.

IMG_20210619_124025645.jpgIMG_20210619_124015544.jpg

That looks like random knobby chunking from a defective tire. Rare occurance, but I have seen this on MX bike tires.

No tape the tires. Tape the foams too if you like. Turn them inside out, scuff up with some 220, clean them.off with rubbing alcohol. And tape the fek out of them. I do 2 or 3 wraps. Ending exactly where I started. Last set I used gorilla tape. Needs to be a fabric reinforced tape, with a very strong glue. Gorilla, gaffer, speed tape. Skip duct tape it sucks.

I had a set🤔 ran them a couple times.....wasn't impressed 😕 sold them the giant grips are still the best👌🏻

The track I go to requires us to run pins. Most guys here are running them and I haven't heard a complaint yet. I wouldn't imagine them to be a very good tire on grass. The giant grips have them beat there for sure (y)

That looks like random knobby chunking from a defective tire. Rare occurance, but I have seen this on MX bike tires.

It happened on opposite corners of the truck so must be diff'ing out the power to those wheels during some point on the track. Now that it was mentioned about balloning I think maybe this can be solved by tape.

It's always a balloon issue when it's just a center patch ripped out and the rest of the tread is fine. We'll it's a power distribution issue, which means diffs and or suspension set up is a bit off. Taping the tires or foams will make them a bit stiffer. The tire you basically control by hoe many layers of tape you put on it. I wouldn't go past 4 wraps, depending in the tape.

So is the chunking caused from consistiant high speed running ? My only experience with broken knobs was when i did not correctly match the tire compound to the track conditions. i.e incorrectly choosing hard compound tire on a hard surface track . Does this have an relavence when choosing RC tires ?

His is caused by ballooning, from the tires unloading and getting all the power sent to them. Not so much a compound issue as we don't see even wear across or around the tire. Just the center areas where ballooning is most prevalent. The simple solution is to tape the tires and or foams. The actual solutions is to figure out if it's a diff oil weight issue or a suspension issue. Imo, a proper set up should show fairly consistent tire wear across all tires, and evenly across the individual tire. (I would expect the steer tires to show more wear then the rear tires) as patchy as his wear is, I'm betting it's from tire blow outs somewhere on the track. This gives up performance and kills tires.
Now compound should match track conditions. Muddy slick track= soft tires, hard dry track= hard tires.

I'm running pretty heavy diff setup on recommendation from a guy at track, 200k/1mil/300k. The rear was kicking out too easy last week so I went up to 20t pinion from 19t, added a lightened flywheel and also installed orange losi springs to replace the softer blues I had on. I'm fairly certain the wear happened yesterday and not last week I feel I woulda noticed.

The truck was very predictable had more speed and handled ruts and waves in the track better. Maybe there is a shock low on oil. I'll have to check. Otherwise I'm leaning towards more wheel speed from the 20t pinion and flywheel causing the ballooning. I'll have to ask the guys down there if they tape their tires or foams. Most everyone is running these MadMax pins there with bigger motors than me so others should be experiencing the same?

I'm gonna order up a pair of treads, tape them and see how it does next Sunday.

I actually tape both.... but I'm too cheap to buy a decent set of foams. How much preload do you have in your springs? Ideally your shooting for keeps the arse off the ground but will rebound fast enough to keep all 4 planted (as much as possible) shock angle also plays a role in how the spring reacts to load, as well as shock fluid. Is definitely a learning curve till you got it figured out. Stick with it!👍🏻

How much preload do you have in your springs?

Rear is about 1" worth of preload, just enough to keep it a tadd higher than level. Front is like 1/2" or less and sits level. Which I wanted to start the front lower than rear and tweek it as needed. I'll have to speak with others but I think it's more track surface related, lot's of rocks and waves. I can see how going over a set of waves/humps diagonally could do this especially if there's a patch of rocks there. I'm gonna tape just the tires and report back next Sunday.

Rear is about 1" worth of preload, just enough to keep it a tadd higher than level. Front is like 1/2" or less and sits level. Which I wanted to start the front lower than rear and tweek it as needed. I'll have to speak with others but I think it's more track surface related, lot's of rocks and waves. I can see how going over a set of waves/humps diagonally could do this especially if there's a patch of rocks there. I'm gonna tape just the tires and report back next Sunday.
I found my truck handles better with softer suspension, so it sits just below level at the rear, any higher and it felt unstable and was bouncing over the bumps rather than soaking them up.
But your tyre wear does look like tyres have ballooned and ripped centre's out.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks