Temp Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sperera

Ok took the MB for a quick run at local oval. Open her up for the first time. Very impressed :)

Im not running a body at the moment because I haven't got it painted. Anyway every now and again I touch the cooling fins and noticed it was quite hot to touch, I could only leave my finger on it for a few seconds before it hurt allot.

How do I know when the motor is overheating or getting close to its limits temp wise?

I took out the plug and noticed it was quite black indicating to me (if ive got it right) that its not lean and that there is plenty of oil in the mix.

Whats a good way of checking if the cooling fan is working properly?

thanks

2 stroke petrol engines do tend to run quite warm.
Substatially hotter than you would normally run a nitro,,,, grip hold of a whippersnipper or lawnmower after running and that should give you a bit of an idea on temps.

As for the fan,, so long as the thing is spinning and the vents aren't packed with grass you shouldn't have a problem.

Make sure your fuel is 25:1

Well have to hook up for a bash day,,,,,,,,I'm only half an hour from you.

And your plug should be black to rusty brown.

,,,,,,,,,,Rossco,,,,,,,

Last edited:
+1 Rossco,thats right what you said.But as for the plug it should be a light brown/caramel colour,thats when the carb settings are at their best.
J.

2 stroke petrol engines do tend to run quite warm.
Substatially hotter than you would normally run a nitro,,,, grip hold of a whippersnipper or lawnmower after running and that should give you a bit of an idea on temps.

As for the fan,, so long as the thing is spinning and the vents aren't packed with grass you shouldn't have a problem.

Make sure your fuel is 25:1

Well have to hook up for a bash day,,,,,,,,I'm only half an hour from you.

And your plug should be black to rusty brown.

,,,,,,,,,,Rossco,,,,,,,

Hey Rossco, Yeah im up for a bash anytime. Would be nice to see another largerscaler around as all my mates are into the smaller electric scene :no:

I know a couple of good spots but happy to come up your way if the occasion calls. Let me know. :)

Ive only just started to open up the FG which is prolly why I am noticing the heat. But ive always been paranoid about tempretures.

Should I cut any extra holes in the MB body? Im not running it at the moment but will be once I get it painted. So far its only got the front windows half cut out which is how it comes. Not sure if I should take some out of the windscreen or something.

Hacking up your body is not necesary as it will get plenty of air from underneath.

Come up this way sometime , as I am building up my own track here,,,,just need more dirt,,,,, like about 5 ton of it, but at the moment it is a short course sprint track, also got about 20 acres to run on.

,,,,,,,Rossco,,,,,,,

20 acres awesome!

Well set a date and ill be there!

Just did a Google seach, Romsey is about 100kms from my place.

I don't mind going that far spesh for a bashing partnet but prolly would stay majority of day to make it worth the while. :)

took it out again last night. Man it was hard to start. And I put a new plug in it and everything. Might have flooded it maybe.

Had to get the rear wheels off the ground to get it going.

I got a feeling the bottom end is a little on the rich side. Seems a little boggy. Is it safe for me to have a little play with the LS needle? I know the basics and always check plug colour.

Might also be because the engine is still fairly new. In total done about 3-4 tanks on it.

Maybe I should leave it alone for the time being.

Go for it! Have a fiddle and lean out the ls needle a LITTLE bit at a time.

Your starting point is 1-1/2 L ___ 1-1/4 H.
Have a tweak from there!

Plug colour reflects top end mostly.

didnt know about the plug colour mainly relflecting top end. taking that into consideration my top end must be a little rich as well but it doesn't sound it.

bottom end sound rich, little bogy. will have a play with it next time im out.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks