THE BEST 1/5 scale

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BostonGeorge

Recently revived my Hpi Savage XL 5.9k and have been itching to get a 1/5 scale truck again. I used to have a 5t back when they first came out but that truck has been gone for quiet some time now. these are the trucks that have been looking at.

Kraken vekta.5

losi DBXL

Hpi baja 5b

love the kraken and have heard some good things about it, anyone have any experience with any of the trucks and what would your recommendations be !!??

People are saying some pretty nice things about the FID Dragonhammer and I think if you can hold out a bit then the '30 Degree North Buggy' looks really awesome as well and I am thinking about getting one of those. HPI Baja B5 is a classic and while I own one and enjoy bashin it I don't think its all it is cracked up to be. Due to its popularly however it s versatility is second to none and there are so many hop up makers for it that you could build it into a boat if you want to. Im sure someone made the parts to do so somewhere out there. And its tough. But its not a great racer, it just isn't.

If racing is your thing then the Losi 5ive-B gets my vote. Its slick, its so easy to drive that you almost feel like cheating and it will stand up to abuse. Also tbh I think it is one sexy buggy.

If just plain ol bashing fun is your thing then Losi MTXL. Its tough, its bad ass, it turn heads and its really really fun. That or Kraken Vekta 5 Because it is beautiful and something completely different (if you ignore the better balanced Dragonhammer). The MTXL is a monstertruck but behaves more like a truggy with silly wheels.

If you love to be under the hood all the time then MCD. Most advanced trucks out there, hands down. But I have seen them rattle apart on the track so many times because they are so advanced, theres so many parts, so many settings. But look into one. Most well thought out 5 scale build of any out there. They have even thought of having a heat wall to shield and separate delicate electronics from the glowing hot power bits. I don't know anyone else that does that.I had to McGyver one into my own RC's in Losi crap default layout of the MTXL.

The joker have to be the RCMK XCR-1000/1200 buggies. They are designed by the same guy who did the Losi DBXL but are just all around better vehicles. A little bigger a little tougher a lot faster out the box but unfortunately also not so popular yet so getting spare parts and hop ups can be a bit of a fiddlesticker. It is changing as it is catching on with people. Wonderful thing buggy,.

So there... I bet that didn't make you any wiser as to what to get lol.

Last edited:
The last vehicle I purchased was a kraken. It was a toss up on it or a dragon hammer. In the end I went with the kraken due to the availability. Though I still really want that dragon hammer and it might be in my future. All in all they're all great. They all have strong points and weak points. In the end it's whatever makes you happy in my opinion. Remember to let us know what you go for and post pics.

That dragonhammer he mentioned does look nice but I've never seen on in person...only the Vekta and the 5ive B.I don't know if the Dragonhammer parts are easy to come by in the US. DBXL is nice but you will probably have to sink some money into (i got one). What are you planning to do? Race or bash? If it's race, go with a Losi 5ive T or 5ive B(again...parts availability). If it's bash...that MTXL looks nice or that Vekta.
How much did you want to spend?

Last edited:
Thanks guys for all of the input, this has helped me a lot. Right now i am leaning towards the Vekta 5 with no engine and slapping a bartolone kraken motor in her. This truck will be used 100% as a back yard basher, the truck will never see a track lol :( i have not pulled the trigger yet because everyone is out of stock and am maybe considering getting it around the holiday as it might be on a discounted price.. i will look into the dragon hammer that truck looks pretty cool. I have yet to see the VK5 in person but from videos and what people have said the build quality is top notch, not to mention the trucks seems like it would be very easy to work on.

I'm getting the Vekta engineless, any recommendations on a soild motor ? was maybe going to get the Bartolone Racing Engine ? seems like a beast of a motor and reliable ?

Good to hear. As far as some have mentioned about handling vs a Losi , I wouldn't worry about it. People that get a Vekta don't buy them for the track and expect to handle as well. They buy them to bash the grap out of them. Sure they don't handle as well, but they're a lot tougher and can go a lot more places. Building my Vekta now and will be building a 5ive B soon after.

I'm getting the Vekta engineless, any recommendations on a soild motor ? was maybe going to get the Bartolone Racing Engine ? seems like a beast of a motor and reliable ?
That motor would be a great choice just don't go any smaller than a G320 the Vecta is heavy and needs a big motor

The last vehicle I purchased was a kraken. It was a toss up on it or a dragon hammer. In the end I went with the kraken due to the availability. Though I still really want that dragon hammer and it might be in my future. All in all they're all great. They all have strong points and weak points. In the end it's whatever makes you happy in my opinion. Remember to let us know what you go for and post pics.

I see both the Vekta and the dragonhammer in my future but before I get either I am getting one of these ''30 Degree North Buggy¨
New player in the game, but it is put together by some of the best hop up makers and racers in the UK and backed by one of the biggest part sellers.

First 5th scale where I think its going to rival the Losi 5ive-B on the track. Looks stunning, plenty of fun new ideas under the beautiful body.

edit. Wow that Xmaxx owner trashed his truck well and proper when he tried to take the 30D. He lasted less than half a lap on a very short technical course lol

Last edited:
I see both the Vekta and the dragonhammer in my future but before I get either I am getting one of these ''30 Degree North Buggy¨
New player in the game, but it is put together by some of the best hop up makers and racers in the UK and backed by one of the biggest part sellers.

First 5th scale where I think its going to rival the Losi 5ive-B on the track. Looks stunning, plenty of fun new ideas under the beautiful body.

edit. Wow that Xmaxx owner trashed his truck well and proper when he tried to take the 30D. He lasted less than half a lap on a very short technical course lol
Looks great
Any idea of price?

I generally think of MCD's stuff as second to none in terms of versatility and setup options. Unfortunately this is also MCD's Archilles heel and I know they often rattle apart on rough tracks. So as a piece of technology it is awesome, as a race car it is probably a bit too fragile. I have no idea about their on road stuff. Maybe they are better for that?

edit. For off-road simple is good if yo don't want your car to disintegrate into a cloud of dirt, screws and bolts. lol

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks