The Bird's Nest of the Baja 5B, also a plague of the clones

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bandit2013

I basically bash in my front yard as it has some good jumps in a few places. Not much grass anymore since most of it died off in November. Will have to figure out how to attach a seed spreader to the Baja. Some good spiked wheels and the yard prep for new grass will be in order. This is just to make a point what gets packed up into the engine cooling fins. Typical symptom of bird's nest may be poor response of throttle due to overheated engine. That smoke you see may not be from the exhaust. Note that this was after pushing compressed air into the inlets of the fan/flywheel. Things are not as clean as they appear until you take it apart.

20211231_211544.jpg

Here is another look from a different angle. I kept my finger over the spark plug hole when removing the cowl. I screwed in the piston stopper so I can take this out to the garage and clean it up with compressed air.

20211231_211550.jpg

One thing to look for is the melting of the engine cowl. Since mine has that chrome plating on it, it was obvious something was not right.

20211231_211534.jpg

20211231_211540.jpg

I know, installing an outerwears on the pull start is a help but not the cure. If you do not cover the bottom of the engine with same type of protection it will continue to happen. Some have used window screen as a remedy for the underside cure. Not sure how well that will hold up. I do have at my disposal some fine aluminum screen but opted to use the outerwares stuff instead. Not trying to promote the product but it does work well. The underside of the engine will fill up with grass and other uninvited objects so as part of basic maintenance you need to clean it out with compressed air. Since I have added that to my recent new build project and a rebuild salvage project, I will be adding the same to this one. After a full tank run, the underside of the engine area is full of grass and crap. It may take a bit longer to get all that stuff out, but it is much easier than rebuilding the engine after you seized it up (assumption that overheating will result in seizure.)

Here is the other Rovan 36cc engine while I was figuring out how to fit this thing. Have to keep it loose so you have clearance for the gear box. The velcro strips were dried out so I ended up using black RTV sealant. That stuff worked great but took 8 hours to cure.

20211213_121646.jpg

So tempted not to install the cowl but that is required to keep the air flow over the cylinder housing as well as to block the hot air from soaking the carb. Wonder if there are aluminum or non-plastic options out there. I know, big bore engine with oversized heat sink does not use a cowl but that is something out of my budget. Perhaps some other time.

Any suggestions, and or comments will be appreciated. I am still new at this hobby. I know the exhaust gasket is leaking and the exhaust pipe is probably not ideal.

I basically bash in my front yard as it has some good jumps in a few places. Not much grass anymore since most of it died off in November. Will have to figure out how to attach a seed spreader to the Baja. Some good spiked wheels and the yard prep for new grass will be in order. This is just to make a point what gets packed up into the engine cooling fins. Typical symptom of bird's nest may be poor response of throttle due to overheated engine. That smoke you see may not be from the exhaust. Note that this was after pushing compressed air into the inlets of the fan/flywheel. Things are not as clean as they appear until you take it apart.

View attachment 80054

Here is another look from a different angle. I kept my finger over the spark plug hole when removing the cowl. I screwed in the piston stopper so I can take this out to the garage and clean it up with compressed air.

View attachment 80055

One thing to look for is the melting of the engine cowl. Since mine has that chrome plating on it, it was obvious something was not right.

View attachment 80056

View attachment 80057

I know, installing an outerwears on the pull start is a help but not the cure. If you do not cover the bottom of the engine with same type of protection it will continue to happen. Some have used window screen as a remedy for the underside cure. Not sure how well that will hold up. I do have at my disposal some fine aluminum screen but opted to use the outerwares stuff instead. Not trying to promote the product but it does work well. The underside of the engine will fill up with grass and other uninvited objects so as part of basic maintenance you need to clean it out with compressed air. Since I have added that to my recent new build project and a rebuild salvage project, I will be adding the same to this one. After a full tank run, the underside of the engine area is full of grass and crap. It may take a bit longer to get all that stuff out, but it is much easier than rebuilding the engine after you seized it up (assumption that overheating will result in seizure.)

Here is the other Rovan 36cc engine while I was figuring out how to fit this thing. Have to keep it loose so you have clearance for the gear box. The velcro strips were dried out so I ended up using black RTV sealant. That stuff worked great but took 8 hours to cure.

View attachment 80058

So tempted not to install the cowl but that is required to keep the air flow over the cylinder housing as well as to block the hot air from soaking the carb. Wonder if there are aluminum or non-plastic options out there. I know, big bore engine with oversized heat sink does not use a cowl but that is something out of my budget. Perhaps some other time.

Any suggestions, and or comments will be appreciated. I am still new at this hobby. I know the exhaust gasket is leaking and the exhaust pipe is probably not ideal.
all should be good once all covers are on.

I always trim the cowl down to where it halfway reaches the plug and have never had any overheating issues
It makes it easier for grass and debris to get blown out but running a outer ware on the pull start cover and mesh/screen over the case is a good idea too

I always trim the cowl down to where it halfway reaches the plug and have never had any overheating issues
It makes it easier for grass and debris to get blown out but running a outer ware on the pull start cover and mesh/screen over the case is a good idea too
I was considering cutting the cowl as you described. Still plan on installing the outwerwears on the vehicle in quesiton. I will wait until my vacation is done since I can do that at night. Trying to get as much play time in as possible.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks