The new pullstart string option

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tommy40

Hi guys.
Okey- let`s go. We all now the string on the pullstart is crapy and snap easy, just, one two three..snap! and then you have to buy a new string, and the worst part if you are unlucky, a new pullstart. This is the end for the snapy string. This is a turtorial on how to shange the old string with a new option part, a string that will last forever and will NOT snap.
The new string is pure steel, a steel part that comes from a bicycle. So, lets go and shange the old crapy string :)

me001.gif
Have this happend to you ? you are out running your car and don`t have any spare parts. Well, this is all old times now :)

me003.gif
This is the new beginning for long lasting pullstart wire.
a steel wire that are used for bicycles, brake wires. You can purchase this in any bicycle store or hardware store. This wire is 1.5 milimeter thick and one meter long and you can purchase in bulk weight. You also need two small knobs. you get it in the same place as the wire.

me006.gif
start by unscrew the pullstart asembly from the engine. Unscrew the screw in the middle and have it in a safe place. Same goes for the two disk. After that you can also take away the small spring in the middle.

me007.gif
Okey. Now we are redy to take away the string asembly. This is a little critical, before you take it all away, make sure the spring behind is locket in place, turn the asembly clockwise untill the spring is loose, then lift up the asembly. Make sure it stays in place all the time.

me008.gif
Now, start to screw the knob on to the wire tight. And slice it in. Lock the knob into the slot on the asembly.

me009.gif
This is a little tricky but start to wind the wire on. Same as you do this, make sure the wire is tight and pull it forward.

me010.gif
When you almost finnish and holding it tight, tread the wire through the hole in the pullstart asembly and have the wire asembly in place. screw the asembly together again. Start to wind the rest of the wire, When it almost in, start to drag the wire out untill the spring starting to work.

me011.gif
Wind the wire out untill the spring work and a little bit longer.
Put on the handle and a little nut, this is for strongen the handle.

me012.gif
Now, put on the knob and screw it tight. Cut off the wire that you don't need. You wil have ca: 60 to 80 cm of wire on the reel.

me013.gif
And that`s it, it finnish :)

me016.gif
Screw back the pullstart to the engine and have the hat on if you like :)

me015.gif
if you do, you have to splitt it a little to have it on.

Okay. I think thats it then. I hope you like this turtorial and
sorry for my bad English.

Have fun with your new custom build pullstart string :)

The hole in the pulstart asembly has a little ring and rounded edges, that is because for the string not to brake, and for the steel string, this is a werry good twisted steel string, and it also extremely smooth. Just be sure that the pullstart asembly hole is smooth also and not jagged.

If you are not satisfied with the string and want it looser, you can have a little water resisted grease between your fingers and slide the wire between your fingers, to get it even smoother.

I have used mine now for cupple of month and it still smooth and the pullstart asembly is still good. Make sure that you tighten the knobs screws hard so the wire not slide off the knob. you can also use a little lock tight on the screws so they don't unscrew themselves.

Thank you Bigger the Better :)

I wondered if a steel leader type wire would work. how does it reel out/in? i wondered if the cable would pinch in at times.

I wondered if a steel leader type wire would work. how does it reel out/in? i wondered if the cable would pinch in at times.

Hm, Im not sure what steel leader type is but you can have this rule.
the wire must not exceed 2mm, and you shall easy wind the wire around two of your fingers, if you can do that without the wire going stiff, then the wire is good. Make sure the wire is strong so it dosent breake.
As long as you using a wire that is flexible and not go over 2mm it will work fine.

Nice mod mucker the simplest things we should of thought about this a long time ago mm doh
well i will be of to the bike shop in the near future

Thank you for the compliment guys :) Yes I would try to make a video but I don't have any camera for it, but if you can wait a little I would try to fix something.

and to you voo2doo, if you read the thread above you will see I have answered this question. The string will work great and will not tear up the pullstart asembly, if you have any problem with it you could also use a little grease on it.

it just a accidental occurrence. sometimes they break in the handle and sometimes they breake further down inside the asembly. I think theres no reson for just breake 3" from the handle. it breaks in the weak points.

But! the reson for the string going weak, is that, if you pull the string when the engine but in the middle of the starting point. if you have a strait starting point all the way, the string will last longer.

People have the tendency to pull it hard from the beginning of the starting point. and if the engine but on the way, you will have this sudden stop in the pulling. at this point the string going weak.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks