The quest for a 100mph gas boat

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anything can be done as long as
Hippie Believe GIF by DrSquatchSoapCo

You can get a lawn mower to do 100 mph the problem is the amount of gears it will take and the distance needed to reach 100mph... and yes I would need a gear box to amplify the output shaft speed of the engine so it would need to turn the prop 2 or more times per one revolution of the clutch bell

That hydro doesn't look too easy to cram stuff in there so it would either be gas and max it out on the engine rpm and mess with props or go electric to get a motor than can turn 40k+ rpm

now bare with me cos i've never had much to do wi boats,
but is there such a thing in the boat world as an adjustable pitch prop ?
what i mean is a prop that ya can adjust on the fly ,

or a jet boat, i don't mean turbine,
i mean water intake under the boat and prop/impeller rin a directional unit on the boats arse ?

Just a thought rep, better make sure that hull is rated for 100mph. One of the issues my old man had in full size was hull designed not to flip over at that speed.
Spents jet drives are fun. Bit not practical for speed runs imo. Having a variable trim would be more worthwhile then anything. Also have to remember its not just rpm that makes a boat fast, prop diameter and pitch makes all the difference. Keeping the boat light and having good weight distribution plays an equally important roll as well.

Just a hull type example you need Rep.. they hit 100mph with these type of racing hydros with our 30.5s. It s been done. Have to dig for the vid later. Jet drives are great for basher boats and areas with shallow water, but are not good for any top speed. Thrasher Boats put out a 6s version jet propulsion but is no speed racer by any means. Anything rc is just not meant to survive a 100mph hit on water as that turns to asphalt at them speeds. I don't believe a catamaran or vhull you will ever hit them speeds without going electric unfortunately, then it becomes quite easy as guy are doing this on stock motors and escs on the proboat miss geico with just a prop swap and good lipos. Also the tfl Zonda which can be had in carbon fiber.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210727-095641_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210727-095641_Chrome.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 1
Thanks port. Ive seen the rigger hulls and their not too great looking and I said I want to achieve 100mph out of a gas boat so that may be the only option...wonder if a hydro can do it as their almost similar to a rigger hull but obviously different... seen a video last nite of a guy running a rigger and he clocked 92mph id be ok with that but definitely want triple digits

Its not all about raw hp, now one has ti start paying extreme attention to hull design and efficiency. In theory it takes X amount of hp to move X amount of mass within a specified time. Drag racers have been using this formula for decades. The problem with theoritical numbers is the fact that enviromental resistence is the speed killer. In this case "water"(resistence) is the speed killer. Sounds like a really interesting venture.

My grandpa ran STV hulls. They were very fast and had darn near nothing in the water when on plane for some reason they were very stable at speeds over 100mph. I would think it would be easy to replicate in scale rc with hulls that are produced currently. No way in hell would I run that God awful looking thing port put up lol. Don't care how fast it can go. Be too ashamed to get it out of the truck.
Not grandpa's but you get the idea of the hull design.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210727-120334_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210727-120334_Samsung Internet.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 14
🤣 Neither would I just for the record. Just saying the rc speed riggers that are currently pulling triple digits with 2 stroke smallbores. Yes very ugly. And they do have that hull shape for sale somewhere, like you posted of your grandfathers boat I'll have to find it later.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks