Throttle Brake Modification

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigger the Better

LSF Plus Member
PLUS member
Throttle Brake Modification

I had a problem with the throttle accelerator push adapter rubbing against my Redneck filter and rubbing a mark in it. It also had a mind of its own and would turn toward the filter. You can see below that the push adapter can get caught up on the filter and has a chance of holding itself wide open. You can also see the Redneck has some wear from the adapter.

DSC05228.jpg
DSC05229.jpg
DSC05249.jpg

I thought to myself, I’ve seen others modify there throttle brake rods and some even sell them. I thought I’d give it a go and see how “cheap” I could get it done for. I found you can do it for under $5.00 and so far it looks to provide adequate power without any failures. I’m not saying this is close to the quality of the for sale items but hey, it’s working for me.
I looked around my LHS for about an hour looking for the right parts but did eventually find them. Here is what you will need:
A metal rod the same size as the original one, threaded or not. Most rods can be found at a LHS that has plane parts.

DSC05230.jpg

A package of guides. I used Traxxas part 3180.

DSC05239.jpg

Also needed is a spring from a clicky pen.

Here is what was done:

I removed the brake rod assembly completely removing all parts from each other.

DSC05231.jpg
DSC05232.jpg
DSC05233.jpg

Take the throttle rod and copy the 90deg bend it has on it to your new rod.

DSC05235.jpg
DSC05236.jpg

Insert your new rod into the carburetor throttle adapter.

DSC05237.jpg

You now can change your brake rod to fit into the nearest hole toward the servo shaft.
Drill out the farthest hole to fit the new guide in the servo horn. Tighten enough to be tight but not bind.

DSC05240.jpg
DSC05241.jpg

Now loose fit it on the carburetor and let it pass by the servo. Mark where the bend in the brake rod is and copy that to your new rod. The bend is not critical and you can adjust it later.

DSC05238.jpg

Install one stop and a piece of tubing on the rod. Run the rod though the guide on the servo horn. Install your spring from the clicky pen (Or use the original spring cut down) and then another stop. DO NOT CUT THE ROD YET. I know it is in the picture.

DSC05244.jpg
DSC05245.jpg

After all is adjusted with your throttle you will turn your attention to the brake set up.
You will adjust your brake to the leanest adjustment by cutting a longer piece of tubing to make the threads on the end show less then half out of the tubing end. This will give you the most amount of adjustment for your braking and minimize the rod length at the servo.
Lightly add the screw end to the brake rod. You will adjust your brake power at the end.

DSC05243.jpg

Adjust your stop on the end of the rod so that the original radio (TX) brake adjustment does not allow the spring to completely compress.

DSC05259.jpg

After this adjustment you will reinstall the front roll cage and check how much is needed to cut off the rod end so it will not hit the front cage or front window. NOTE: On the KM Baja you will need to either swap your window holder grommets so the window sits outside or you can cut the window out to accept the new rod. This is caused by the larger sized radio box bringing the servo closer to the front roll cage.

DSC05258.jpg
DSC05242.jpg

Here it is done.

DSC05246.jpg
DSC05250.jpg

Video. You will notice that the servo is pulling the rear end in that is because the side supports were not reinstalled yet. That’s some torque huh?

th_MOV05253.jpg

you have good power on that servo and no offence,it looks to be not of the expensive kind.?

cool.... plenty stopping power there anyway when sombody decides to drive out in front of you lol

yes but you have some power with it,the way it pulls the brake shaft is good.

what kind are they,i presume they came stock with the km?
they could be good../?

Most of the posts that have an underlined word is most likely an attached link.
Click on the linky!:) LINK: http://www.jrradios.com/Products/TechnicalSpecs.aspx?ProdID=JRPSZ9100T or 9100T
NO, I don't have any stock RTR Electronics in my models. Cheap is not a good thing in my oppinion. If I can't count on controllng it, it scares the bejesus out of me.:)

Last edited:
Most of the posts that have an underlined word is most likely an attached link.
Click on the linky!:) LINK: http://www.jrradios.com/Products/TechnicalSpecs.aspx?ProdID=JRPSZ9100T or 9100T
NO, I don't have any stock RTR Electronics in my models. Cheap is not a good thing in my oppinion. If I can't count on controllng it, it scares the bejesus out of me.:)

oh yes i know that lol

i do click on links unless i forget
so are these a good servo,they look quite good don't they..

i like your mod but if i may add that if you put the rod through the servo arm closer to the center you will get more torque on it but less travel.
so you might be able to lock them up on pavement.

i like your mod but if i may add that if you put the rod through the servo arm closer to the center you will get more torque on it but less travel.
so you might be able to lock them up on pavement.

Yup, the throttle is on the outside and the brake is on the inside. The added adjustment was extending the tubing on the brake rod end to make sure the start of the braking was at the start of the forward progression of the servo. I can lock them up no problem.:cool2::)

Thanks for taking the time to do the write up BTB, I need to do this one myself. I finally had the stocker snag the filter yesterday, ironically enough right after I got the kill switch installed. :w00t:

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks