Time To Get The Baja Race Ready!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MonsterAir

Lone Racer 🤠
Scooped this rig off CL recently and will be prepping her for the track over this winter. She had some worn parts on her that needed replacing but over all I think I scored finding this body. Or at least that's what drew me to hand over my cash.

DSC_0067.JPG

So far I've thrown these parts at it

- Zenoah 29cc top end
- 990 carb
- stock filter
- KM ball ends for each wheel
- KM alloy front shock brace
- KM alloy rear shock mount
- Killer Bee
DSC_0062.JPGDSC_0055.JPG

Am not thrilled w/ these KM rear a arms. Turnbuckles don't hold tight, some wiggle. Put the nuts on but they don't stay, will try Teflon tape next I suppose.

Here is the list of things I plan on adding over the course of winter -

- Hostile adjustable rear hubs w/ IRP ball ends / Seriously considering these though
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-CNC-alloy-rear-wheel-hub-carrier-kit-adjustable-angle-fit-1-5-HPI-BaJa-5b/112245633288

- KillerRC Turnbuckle Pro Kit
- FLM Drive cups
- 3D printed shock pistons / got a 3D printer and wanna help?
- Anti Squat Plates
- Billet motor mount
- High rev piston
- Lightened flywheel
- MOP/MIP clutch
- +2mm stroker crank
- Snappy fuel vent kit w/ brass fittings
- DT1 Foam triple flow filter w/ Outterwears and velocity stack
- Turtle Racing servo saver
- Alloy servo mounts/braces
- D845WP steering servo
- SB2290SG throttle brake servo
- Rovan Disc brakes front and rear
- 1" & 2" hub extenders / only if they work w/ brakes
- Probably new dog bones / any recommendation for a dogbone that the pins are fused into head and not held by set screw? Ran it once and lost a pin already!

If you can recommend anything I haven't mentioned pls do!

I need to figure out how to adjust the front camber. Need them to come in a bit but I really don't have any adjustability with what's on it now

DSC_0054.JPG

Also need to figure out what I need for these body supports?

DSC_0047.JPG

Last edited:
Scooped this rig off CL recently and will be prepping her for the track over this winter. She had some worn parts on her that needed replacing but over all I think I scored finding this body. Or at least that's what drew me to hand over my cash.

View attachment 67438

So far I've thrown these parts at it

- Zenoah 29cc top end
- 990 carb
- stock filter
- KM ball ends for each wheel
- KM alloy front shock brace
- KM alloy rear shock mount
- Killer Bee
View attachment 67442View attachment 67444

Am not thrilled w/ these KM rear a arms. Turnbuckles don't hold tight, some wiggle. Put the nuts on but they don't stay, will try Teflon tape next I suppose.

Here is the list of things I plan on adding over the course of winter -

- Hostile adjustable rear hubs w/ IRP ball ends / Seriously considering these though
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-CNC-al...stable-angle-fit-1-5-HPI-BaJa-5b/112245633288

- KillerRC Turnbuckle Pro Kit
- FLM Drive cups
- 3D printed shock pistons / got a 3D printer and wanna help?
- Billet motor mount
- High rev piston
- Lightened flywheel
- +2mm stroker crank
- Snappy fuel vent kit w/ brass fittings
- DT1 Foam triple flow filter w/ Outterwears and velocity stack
- Turtle Racing servo saver
- Alloy servo mounts/braces
- D845WP steering servo
- SB2290SG throttle brake servo
- Rovan Disc brakes front and rear
- 1" & 2" hub extenders / only if they work w/ brakes
- Probably new dog bones / any recommendation for a dogbone that the pins are fused into head and not held by set screw? Ran it once and lost a pin already!

If you can recommend anything I haven't mentioned pls do!

I need to figure out how to adjust the front camber. Need them to come in a bit but I really don't have any adjustability with what's on it now

View attachment 67445

Also need to figure out what I need for these body supports?

View attachment 67446
If you ditch the alum arms, get rpm. They are top quality and light. The dog bones ,I recommend flm. Pretty much every dogbone ever will be held in with the set screw, and it's smart so you can replace the pin instead of spending $35 for the whole thing every time you wear a pin out. Just use red loctite and slot the pin. Never had a single issue. A tip, don't buy anything from km/rovan that involves a ball joint, weather it be shock shafts, arm ball joints or whatever, they are sloppy as poop. Nice rig. I believe I found shock pistons on eBay for like 10 bucks but I'll see if I can link it.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/HPI-Shock-...493842?hash=item2af9423b92:g:n8MAAOSwAu5fznLa

Thanks, yeah I'm only looking at KM for alloy bits and brakes now.

I'm looking for 3 hole pistons but can't find them under $120 for the four I need lol.

Thanks, yeah I'm only looking at KM for alloy bits and brakes now.

I'm looking for 3 hole pistons but can't find them under $120 for the four I need lol.
I personally wouldn't bother with the brakes, it's a race rig, you want it as light as possible and a 4 wheel(or even front) braking system will add weight and generally isn't required, my opinion ?‍♂️ as for the pistons. Ill let you know If I come across any that will work for u ?

No no, brakes are necessary. Before a turn you nail the brakes, front end dips and you get added tracking in the turn. Never ran rear disc's but I'm assuming if I can get all four corners to lay down before a hard turn that should be just as beneficial

Plus I have a g320 on the shelf waiting for my driving skillz to get better. I'm certain it's got enough power to counter the added weight ;)

I'll most def give it a try Sean. (y)

Can anyone suggest a throttle/brake alloy mount? I can't seem to find one, the Savox I'm putting in has 902oz of torque!

Front brakes will help, but your biggest struggle will be learning how to put the power down coming out of the turn. You may want to turn the throttle exponential down literally all the way. Off power steering with the Baja is actually pretty good. Keep the front wheels down in the turns and don’t spin and you’ll win every race

edit: against other 2wd rigs

Front brakes will help, but your biggest struggle will be learning how to put the power down coming out of the turn. You may want to turn the throttle exponential down literally all the way. Off power steering with the Baja is actually pretty good. Keep the front wheels down in the turns and don’t spin and you’ll win every race

edit: against other 2wd rigs

Yea I have been meaning to play with that. I'm dying to get this rig around the track and get things figured out. My outting at P1, blew a rear shock on the Marder and didn't notice til I got home. Spit a dogbone pin on the Baja after breaking her in, also put diff fluid in the shocks like a moron! That's what I get for working on it in the middle of night, the damn diff and shock fluid bottle are same color! lol

Oh yea, and stripped the gears on the throttle/brake servo in the Marder. Was wondering why I wasn't stopping. Just the throttle was working but skipped the teeth when applying brake.

I seen that but the description states it's for the battery box delete that's used for electric conversions. Not 100% that's the part I need.

Does anyone have an issue with the stock style ball ends popping off the ball, causing play? I'm trying to find a reason to go with the IRP and Hostile parts but we talking 3x the price.

How long do your ball ends last?.... Easy there Z, I know where your mind is heading ;)

Does anyone have an issue with the stock style ball ends popping off the ball, causing play? I'm trying to find a reason to go with the IRP and Hostile parts but we talking 3x the price.

How long do your ball ends last?.... Easy there Z, I know where your mind is heading ;)
On the steering links, mine pop off sometimes after a big cartwheel but usually no issues with my stock links. Same thing with the rear ball joints, no issues.

it'll b fine..?..i gota 30kg savox on my baj throttle....been there 5 years now on stock mount with no issues ?
and only jus fitted the ffrc brace?

I'm going with the Savox Black Edition, 902oz of torque! Had a Hi-Tech 7950th in my Marder w/ alloy servo plate and that thing would flex the whole plate! With only 450ish oz.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks