Toyan engine (Current trends)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thrasher

That little Toyan engine seems to have kicked off a whole thing. Several RC channels either have or are building one or more vehicles with their little four stroke. I wonder if this bodes well for large scale as a trickle down effect. I would love to get one to mess about with. Not super powerful but it does look right for a 'scale' project.

Here it is in a stunning looking CAPO

This guy makes some incredible modifications to it. Watercooling system proper exhaust, startermotor etc. His version NEEDS to go into a vehicle.

Toyans 2 stroke in action. Seems to be a lot less powerful than the four stroke but it could come down to gearing/the flaws of video as a medium.

Not strictly large scale but there is something about this whole development that just rubs me in exactly the right way. RC tanks and trucks had to get more than one because they loved it so much and they are a 100.000 strong channel. Plenty more creative use of this little bastard to be found on youtube.

So I've just went through and watched all these vids, it's just a 4 stroke glow engine. There are a few companies that make them. I don't know about the water cooled one. Its neat, but not almost $300.00 neat. And for its displacement a normal glow engine would make much more power. Now if you want an engine that would be cool for scale, the make a 4 cylinder engine. It's a bit more coin.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.st...n-engine-for-1-10-1-12-1-14-rc-car-ship-plane

That little Toyan engine seems to have kicked off a whole thing. Several RC channels either have or are building one or more vehicles with their little four stroke. I wonder if this bodes well for large scale as a trickle down effect. I would love to get one to mess about with. Not super powerful but it does look right for a 'scale' project.

Here it is in a stunning looking CAPO

This guy makes some incredible modifications to it. Watercooling system proper exhaust, startermotor etc. His version NEEDS to go into a vehicle.

Toyans 2 stroke in action. Seems to be a lot less powerful than the four stroke but it could come down to gearing/the flaws of video as a medium.

Not strictly large scale but there is something about this whole development that just rubs me in exactly the right way. RC tanks and trucks had to get more than one because they loved it so much and they are a 100.000 strong channel. Plenty more creative use of this little bastard to be found on youtube.
The Toyans a 4 stroke not a 2 stroke. Generally 4 strokes have more torque than a 2 stroke but that is a tiny engine, and a short stroke on top of that so torque wouldn't be much .Wonder how it compares to a similar CC Nitro 2 stroke engine . If I remember right they have been using 4 stroke gasser engines for a while in RC Planes.

All the way up to 15 or 20 cc. OS make a pole of them. Down to a 0.30 I think. Some run on glow fuel, some run on gas. The glow version make something close to half a hp. I would assume the toyan engine is somewhere in that range. Now a basic glow engine from OS well say a max 25fs (still for air use) makes closer to .80 hp. And has a slightly smaller displacement. The next bigger engine is over 1 hp. Not to mention a 4 choke is ranked around 14k rpm, peak power will be around 10k rpm. A 2 stroke will max out around 19k rpm with peak power being close to max rpm. Comparatively the 2 stroke should make close to the same power or a bit more at a given rpm, just may not have the "down low grunt" of the 4 stroke.

So I've just went through and watched all these vids, it's just a 4 stroke glow engine. There are a few companies that make them. I don't know about the water cooled one. Its neat, but not almost $300.00 neat. And for its displacement a normal glow engine would make much more power. Now if you want an engine that would be cool for scale, the make a 4 cylinder engine. It's a bit more coin.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.st...n-engine-for-1-10-1-12-1-14-rc-car-ship-plane
I'd never buy it for $1399???

Funny I've been doing some homework on these as well. I've had a few models in the past running the old O.S. FS26SC and FS40SC. Good luck finding one today and if you do there in the $500 to 1500 range.

8993031250_caa5028977_b.jpg

Seems these Toyans come in both Methanol Toyan FS-S100 (no thanks) and a 25:1 oil/gas version Toyan FS-S100G (One I'm looking to get) Project will not be cheap. Looking for a new or used 1/8-1/9 Crawler to retrofit one of these into. .5 HP versions are only $250, but add the starter kit and supporting hardware and that price rises quickly.

You can buy a complete RC truck kit ranging from 600-900 which probably will be cheaper than retrofitting into an Electric model. Just not digging the leaf spring suspension system.

RC_Car_Kits_Set_with_Toyan_Engine_Frame_Toyan_Engine_Parts_Remote_Controller_-_Enginediy_1_600x600.jpg

Last edited:
I'd never buy it for $1399???
But you get the wooden block. Handcrafted by Sterlingworks? Whoever they are. That wooden block with all the work that went into it is easily worth the remaining 1000$. Its value baby.

You are right they are all four stroke. The smaller ersion or the first version is just being mislabelled by people for some reason. I was under the impression that its a small petrol engine.

But you get the wooden block. Handcrafted by Sterlingworks? Whoever they are. That wooden block with all the work that went into it is easily worth the remaining 1000$. Its value baby.

You are right they are all four stroke. The smaller ersion or the first version is just being mislabelled by people for some reason. I was under the impression that its a small petrol engine.
I don't give a fek if that wood was crafted by God himself I ain't spending 1.3k for that ???

One of these would be pretty cool

They are stunning but Conley, v12 (german company) et all. While they are beautiful and look scale I suspect that all those moving parts eats up A LOT of power. I doubt they have much of it. But then I saw the video of the v12 in a largescale and it seemed very willing to move. Who knows. I don't have the kind of money to get one just for poop and giggles atm.

@Doug. I thought you could appreciate the importance of handicraft. I mean you do it yourself. Take 5 bucks worth of silver and a couple of pretty stones ,throw them together and presto. hundreds of bucks. I could easily do what you do myself. Of course the stuff would look like it was made by a dullwitted or retarded 5 year old but thats beside the point. I could also do it. You gotta respect the time that goes into cutting a block of wood, sanding it (and clearly doing a bad job of it) and then slobber on an uneven layer of cheap varnish. Presto 1000 bucks for this custom one off block of wood on which to place your engine.

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks