TR Snapper Clutch Is BLUE and PURPLE!!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whoduh

Did I roast this clutch or just the disks.
Lots of blue and purple on the disk.
Breaking the whole thing down later...see what else is blue....and or purple..

Anyone have experience with the TR Snapper clutch?
Is it "safe" to keep using this or is it time to replace the disks?
and...
What might cause this to happened (heat...obvious answer), but why?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

upload_2017-4-6_19-14-45.png

Thanks

I would expect that. Haven't checked mine but the nature of it is it's metal with friction and heat. Metal turns that color in those conditions. As long as it functions properly and it's not deformed I would say it's good

Mine are the same still wor

and...

View attachment 11482

Thanks

and...

View attachment 11482

Thanks

I ran my TR Snapper over a year, I just did a rebuild because the center bolt became loose and the top (2) plates torn them selfs up.
I never had any discoloration from heat. I replaced all (3) plates, the spring perch and the basket. (All Good).
The TR Snapper is designed to run cooler then the stock clutch.
You have a big problem. I suggest you call DDM and ask for Steve, if anyone can help you it's him.
Good Luck
William E. Burrows Jr.
AKA Road Reaper

Carbon is drawn to the surface and depending on the involved temperatures it changes the way the surface reflects and absorbs light due to changes in the crystaline structure caused by oxydization. In principle this makes the metal 'crisper'. Does it mean that your clutch will shatter like porcelain the next time you run it? I doubt it. I doubt it is going to do anything but now you know why your clutch turned clown colored. You were right all along.

TL:DR; It's the heat

When I emailed Turtle about it, DDM Steve replied....

Hey Thomas,

It is expected to get some coloring on the discs. The main thing that you would be worrying about would be too much galling on the metal discs. Make sure you have plenty of anti seize on the weights. I would think that what this is probably an indication of is that you have your engagement point set too high in relation to your gearing.

thanks
Steve.

I didn't see any galling on the disks...so I loosened up the springs a little bit to lower the engagement rpm and slapped it back on the motor.
Gearing is 20 tooth pinion, stock spur, snapper stock springs and weights.

I know it's an old thread but it's snapper related just installed snapper clutch are is the disk in the middle supposed to be tight I can move it with a little effort but is this normal

and...

View attachment 11482

Thanks
It’s from the springs being too tight. It causes the clutch too slip more. If you back out the screws that’s on the springs a little bit it will cause the clutch too kick in sooner. And you can resurface the disc just use a flat surface like a piece of glass.,lay it down on the sand paper, and in a circular motion move the clutch plate which will resurface it

It’s from the springs being too tight. It causes the clutch too slip more. If you back out the screws that’s on the springs a little bit it will cause the clutch too kick in sooner. And you can resurface the disc just use a flat surface like a piece of glass.,lay it down on the sand paper, and in a circular motion move the clutch plate which will resurface it
Do you know how old this post is? 2017-19👍🤣👍

This isn't the only complaint of the snapper clutch failure. For a "fully adjustable " clutch they suck.

Lol but people still look at the post in 2021so I’m not particularly responding to the post . There’s others that will read these posts in the future and maybe it’ll help them. And obviously no one else knew the reason or they would’ve posted it back in 2017 lmao

I think maybe people new to 1/5th scale or just that type of clutech people may already have might have the same problem and the only help they may have is this one post

Last edited:
I’m surprised many people are still using gas with as many electric options that are out there
I would like to find a clutch like the snapper but better quality
I've got both of these and I'm going to use the forward engaging gearshift 2 on my 40cc build with a TR HD grabber bell. Mielke (German quality) have been in the game for years but I'm yet to test them out for big power (i.e. more than a standard 29cc). You can get Aluminium or Carbon shoes or use a mix of the 2. This clutch is ultra tuneable but not the cheapest. It's also super light.

https://rc-car-online.de/en/600-mielke.html

This is what the bell looks like inside.

http://www.rclargescale.com/forum/vendors-market/7521-turtle-racing-clutch-bell-losi-5ive-t.html

I’m surprised many people are still using gas with as many electric options that are out there
I would like to find a clutch like the snapper but better quality
Not many quality cheapish options for 1/5 scale mate. You could buy a nice used car for what type of reliable power in an electric set up. $2k gets a monster of an engine and all day running on a bit of gas and oil. I personally wouldn't consider electric till 12s becomes much cheaper, as well as the batteries and charges to support them. (For all day use)

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks