Trevor Simpson rebuild.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

voo2doo

In Memoriam
PLUS member
Wooooo , what an engine ! If you know me I have been here for a bit and built a few flyers, 23cc my porting , 25.4 with my porting , 26cc long blocks , stuffed cranks etc,etc but i have never owner a reed cased engine. I recently bought a truck from Atom and it contained a TS 28.5cc reed engine.

Alan said he had a bit of trouble starting it but when it did start it was a belter. So.... I took the engine out and started on the rebuild. Now as far as rebuilds go I could do these with my eyes shut but this was a different case altogether. Timed fan cover , reed valve and a totally different head configuration.

The engine was caked in poop and that's unusual for Al as he keeps his motors in show room condition ( naughty boy Alan ;)) So everything got the clean treatment. I pulled the mill apart and re-ringed it , de-coked it and renewed every bearing there was to do apart from the main bearing in the crank (had a horror story last time I done that). Got the Dremel out and done a bit of my own work on it even through it was a ported head anyway , we always need a bit more don't we ;).
So the box of new gaskets came out and all went back together without a hiccup , well nearly , I bust my new ring so had another in stock.

Next the carb was in bits and re-jetted and re-gasketed with new diaphragm.
I put the engine into the truck in a fashion and tried to pull it.....and pull it...and pull it !!!:mad: This thing has got some fekkiin compression!:eek: I had a brainwave and got one of my drills out , removed the pullstart and got a deep drive socket to wind the engine over by drill. A couple of pops and farts later and the thing roared into life :cool:Lovely tick over and a sweet sound....vid coming soon.
J

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks