Trying to decide...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jetski

Hey all I'm new to the large scale scene. I'm currently trying to decide which is to be my first. I've looked at the HPI Baja, the FG MT and the Rampage. I've read a good bit about the Baja and FG but haven't did much research on the rampage tho. I like the idea of being able to get into a 4wd but have only found one kit for the FG if there are even more. Whatever I do choose I think I'm going to buy parts seperately so I can build it up how I want unless you guys have advice otherwise, for the most part thats how I've gotten my last few vehicles. As far as money, its not a huge issue, just the more expensive the longer it may take til I get it. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jason

I have a rampage mt and a FG stadium. I also have had a baja rtr and baja ss. OK.....the FG is bare far the fastest and simplest to work on and has proven 2 be very durable so far. The rampage is cool because its 4wd but its VERY heavy. I have a 30.5 with a jetpro pipe in my rampage and my FG will still smoke it in a drag race! With the rampage you will get lots for your money, but don't let the low initial price fool you (Rob at rampage hop ups is the man to see for a good deal!!). By the time you put in a radio, upgrade the servo, install a aluminum gear plate, etc... you are pretty close to the price of the FG rtr. The baja is good because there are TONS of places to get parts and there are UNLIMITED hop ups available. My baja was never very reliable but when it did run (26cc with pipe) is was really fast! I had lots of clutch problems that would never seem to go away. With that said I no several other guys that had very good luck with them. So.....if you have deep pockets and want the ability to build a crazy gasser you may want to consider a baja ss. If money is tight and you just want a super good quality truck or buggy that halls A$$ get the FG. If you want a monster that will go ANYWHERE but overall speed and handling is not as important rampage might be a good option. If you choose the rampage just remember there isn't much in terms of aftermarket hop ups but replacement parts seem pretty easy to get (again, see Rob). If I only could have one (or in my case one of each).......I would get the FG hands down!! Hope that helps!

You can get a fg truck rtr off ebay for under a 1000$ almost guaranteed, DDM sells them no reserve usually 2 a week and the last 6 have went all for under 1000$ the cheapest was 640$ the most was what i paid 930$ they come rtr and are brand spankin new,cheapest fg trucks i have found and the wife and i looked everywhere before i bought mine.

I have a rampage mt and a FG stadium. I also have had a baja rtr and baja ss. OK.....the FG is bare far the fastest and simplest to work on and has proven 2 be very durable so far. The rampage is cool because its 4wd but its VERY heavy. I have a 30.5 with a jetpro pipe in my rampage and my FG will still smoke it in a drag race! With the rampage you will get lots for your money, but don't let the low initial price fool you (Rob at rampage hop ups is the man to see for a good deal!!). By the time you put in a radio, upgrade the servo, install a aluminum gear plate, etc... you are pretty close to the price of the FG rtr. The baja is good because there are TONS of places to get parts and there are UNLIMITED hop ups available. My baja was never very reliable but when it did run (26cc with pipe) is was really fast! I had lots of clutch problems that would never seem to go away. With that said I no several other guys that had very good luck with them. So.....if you have deep pockets and want the ability to build a crazy gasser you may want to consider a baja ss. If money is tight and you just want a super good quality truck or buggy that halls A$$ get the FG. If you want a monster that will go ANYWHERE but overall speed and handling is not as important rampage might be a good option. If you choose the rampage just remember there isn't much in terms of aftermarket hop ups but replacement parts seem pretty easy to get (again, see Rob). If I only could have one (or in my case one of each).......I would get the FG hands down!! Hope that helps!

I agree to that except my HPI Baja SS run without any issue.
Just like to ad to that the Carson Gas Devil / Smartech Titan / Hurricane is a good chouse too and 4x4.
The FG released there 4x4 Baja, MT, and stadium truck, FG is bullet proof.

Thanks for the help guys would I be better off just buying an fg and upgrading it or by building it piece by piece? Also Is there more then one 4wd upgrade kit availa me the only one I've found is on big boys hobbies for like 1300 which seems a little steep. That kit is why I was mostly considering building it from scratch. If there is an alternative could someone shoot me a links to it I'd appeciate it

Thanks
Jason

If its an FGMT that you are looking for then DDM's FG's on ebay RTR will be hard to beat. The FGMT alone with nothing but a motor cost more then what marvo's did RTR.

I am building an fg semi part by part, and it's bloody expensive to do. I love FG stuff but be warned prices are expensive. I could have bought the rtr by now and had a couple goodies...

that said, there are things you will need to buy and upgrade, so maybe it'll end up cheaper but man.... I have another bunch of parts sitting at the lhs to pick up.... another $700 went into it... finally it will be running next week after a long long time.

I have a rampage and it just needs some cheap home mods to be reliable. and hop ups are cheap. I have spent a little over a grand now and have upgraded the headkit, pipe, shock shafts and have a bunch of spares... just need a couple more alloy goodies and a couple more home mods and it'll be a tank to reckon with on the track

I have never owned a baja, though they are nice and being so long very stable

Rampages are on sale right now too at very reduced prices (save like 260 on the buggy's regular price)

I have the baja and the rampage...they are both fun to run. If you run them on 1/8th scale tracks though you'll probably find that you'll replace parts because you'll crash a lot. Replacements stock parts for the rampage are easy to come by and the on-line community for them is really helpful. The rampage and baja have had the same amount of problems for me...not super reliable but they are fun to run and easy to work on. I do like the 4 wheel drive though.

For the rampage...look at spending about $1200 total to get it going well...big bore kit, upgraded shock shafts, better exhaust, and better throttle servo. Oh,it'll need baja hubs and tires because the stock tires rip after about 5 tanks.

How come you don't consider MCD...RTR with really good electronics for $1700? I don't have one...I'm itching to get one though

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks