Tuned pipe or Engine rebuild upgrade?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

njsipes

Howdy,

I'm about to by a Losi DBXL and plan on running it stock for awhile before I make any upgrades, but when I do want to upgrade it, would a tuned pipe give me more power with the stock 23cc motor...Or would I get more power with the engine rebuild upgrade from 23cc to 29cc? Couple other questions:

1. Do most pipes fit in the DBXL to the stock motor? (I read in another thread on this page that some pipes where too big and started melting components...)

2. Best brands/brands to stay away from? I'd rather not spend over $200 on a pipe.

3. If I got a pipe for the 23cc motor, would it fit on the 29cc motor if I did that upgrade too?

Thanks for helping with my newbie questions.

1. Pipes made for the DBXL will fit the DBXL. If you want, you can try and mod a pipe for a different car/truck to fit.

2. Best/worst brands- everyone has their own opinion on what brand is best/worst. Some Availible brands are Bartalone, RCMK, Jetpro, Losi, FID, Victory, DDM. The only two that are over $200 are the Bartalone and Victory pipes. All the others range from $160-$180. I have a Jetpro silenced pipe on mine. I have had 0 problems with it so far.

3 The pipe you get for the 23cc should fit a 29cc engine. ANY pipe you put on the 23cc will wake it up. If you don't want to spend a couple 100 bucks on a new engine you can get a 29cc head kit and install that. Your engine will transform from a 23cc to 29cc for around $75

Hope this helps.

I have a Bartolone pipe on my DBXL works great and paid under 200$ from tgn. Next pipe I ll be getting is a Ddm Dominator DBXL pipe. Had those pipes on few different 1/5 rc and all of them performed very well.

I have a Dominator on mine and there was no way to situate it where it didn't touch something plastic. Maybe my DBXL just has too much plastic but something had to touch so I let it melt a pretty good portion of the cage. don't know if other pipes would be any better but that's my experience with the Dominator.

Howdy,

I'm about to by a Losi DBXL and plan on running it stock for awhile before I make any upgrades, but when I do want to upgrade it, would a tuned pipe give me more power with the stock 23cc motor...Or would I get more power with the engine rebuild upgrade from 23cc to 29cc? Couple other questions:

1. Do most pipes fit in the DBXL to the stock motor? (I read in another thread on this page that some pipes where too big and started melting components...)

2. Best brands/brands to stay away from? I'd rather not spend over $200 on a pipe.

3. If I got a pipe for the 23cc motor, would it fit on the 29cc motor if I did that upgrade too?

Thanks for helping with my newbie questions.

Hi Howdy,
I upgraded my motor from a CY 29cc to a Zenoah G320 RC 32cc.
Regardless of the motor you buy, make sure it is a (4) bolt head, very important.
Running my motor over a year and never had a thumb_DSCN1209_1024.jpg head gasket leak.
Pipes are personnel preference, I run a chrome plated Bartolone and love it, but everything I mention is pricey.
Good Luck
William E. Burrows Jr.
AKA Road Reaper

Last edited:
I guess the course of action is to make sure a tuned pipe that will fit 29 to 32cc engines. I would go 29cc and then the pipe.

Unless that 23cc pipe fits a 29cc.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks