Turtle Racing Quick Diff transmission are not compatible with Rovan 5B

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gasserbob

I was following the assembly instructions for the Turtle Racing quick Diff transmission during assembly and discovered right away that the differential would not fit into the rear portion of the Turtle Racing gear box.

IMG_5164.JPG IMG_5163.JPG IMG_5166.JPG IMG_5165.JPG

Found a solution.

I used my grinder to spin the bearing and I watched as it was spinning to take off just a little bit off the bearings on both sides.
Since the bearing race was spinning with the grinder its likely that it took off a even amount.

Also did a little grinding to a couple of screw heads on the diff and it clears and the gears mesh nicely.

Whew wee
I got worried there for a second.

I have come to the belief with gas powered rc cars and trucks IMG_5164.JPG by now that you have to enjoy problem solving and working on engines to make it all worthwhile.

I can totally see how a gas powered RC buggy might not be for everyone.

This is the before. Totally not a fit.

The Rovan 5B actually has larger diameter Differential bearings compared to a HPI.
This is the reason why the Turtle Racing quick diff gear case will not work with the Rovan 5B.

Luckily I was able to wear down the factory Rovan diff bearings to get them to fit into the Turtle Racing Diff case.

Also been pulling parts off the Rovan and hitting them with the buffing wheel. So easy and it gives the Aluminum a mirror finish..

I've gotta say that owning a gas powered 1/5th scale, one really has to have a love and passion to work on little motors and be able to have the ability to solve problems.
Clearly owning a 1/5th scale gas buggy, one has got to be mechanically inclined.

IMG_5169.JPG IMG_5170.JPG IMG_5171.JPG IMG_5172.JPG IMG_5173.JPG

I also have a 36cc Rovan Baja 5b.. and upgraded to the turtle racing quick diff about a month ago... and mine fit like a glove.. must be a bit of a difference in the machining tolerances between the time ours were made... mine is an older version.. I’m guessing since my head has removable transfer port plates.. I see urs doesn’t

All Back together and 2 tanks later.

Seems like she runs a bit faster with that new TR case in there.
Tried a few passes with the box style muffler and no bueno. tossed the tuned pipe right back on and back in business.

All of you hard core racers would have been proud.
Had the Little Rovan out in the wet grass and got her all nasty and muddy.Had to hit it with the water hose, seemed like it was the only alternative.

Spent a good 30 mins with the leaf blower and some compressed air and lots of wiping to get her back to all shiny.

Gotta sell some more junk laying around the house to fund some more upgrades from Rovan.IMG_5186.JPG IMG_5187.JPG IMG_5188.JPG IMG_5190.JPG IMG_5185.JPG IMG_5183.JPG

Thanks
I appreciate that.
IMG_5187.JPG Super proud of my little Rovan.

So dang reliable for what Im doing with it.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks