Turtle Racing Transmission Case Issue.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrXD

Hello All, I just ordered and received and turtle racing transmission case from ddm, I went with it after reading what others opinion and experience with it. So I put in my gears dry to test fit and I noticed the idler gear when both halves are firmly together shifts side to side it actually sounds like a rattle when I shake it, is this normal since i don't have grease on the gears yet? and also I received a 4 bolt case cover instead of the 6 bolt case cover like in the pics on ddm's website, is this an older or newer version? I will say this I hate to but the machine work on the outside of this case is pretty shody, not only i see alot of dings and nicks and burrs on the backside of the holes but the 4 bolts that held the rear case cover were in very tight for a minute there I thought they were locktited in from the factory, yet the bag it came in was sealed just a clear bag with no label on it. Also all my gears are brand new from HPI SBK Kit I got a couple months ago from ddm buggy hasnt been ran yet if that helps. If anyone has any knowledge of this Id very much appreciate it. Thank You all.

This the video of my transmission ratteling with the idler gear installed, I don't know how to post vids in here any other way, sorry.

Attachments

• 20230322_143259.jpg
    20230322_143259.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 20230322_143358.jpg
    20230322_143358.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
check that the bearings for the idler gear are the right size on the internal mate,
that does not even look right in my opinion,
i have four turtle cases and none have had an idler that rattles,or at least not as much as that, there will be minor side to side play but not what you have there, all mine are the older style as well,
older style is 6 bolts for the rear section and new style is four bolts,
the finish looks bad as well, i wonder if turtle racing have cheaped out on the finish passes, or maybe outsourced the machining and somethings gone wrong and/or the stubs for the idler bearings have been machined wrong,
the older style do have a roughish finish but nothing like yours has,
as for the screws being tight, i only ever loctited the screws once and regretted it,
use anti seize instead of loctite on em cos the screws do have a habit of jamming quite badly,

I just put some black bone gears in an older tr case. Not loose like that. Send Ddm a email. They will send you another one or compare it to what they have in stock. Somthing isn’t rite! Hopefully it’s not a bad run of them.
My case has 6 bolts on it.
I’m going to guess my tr case us from 2008 it’s been used. But the Finnish on mine is still cleaner than your brand new case.

I called them and sent an email with the pics and video and steve called me earlier, and he got an older 6 bolt version in black and it does the same thing, he says the guy at turtle racing revamped his fixtures and redesigned the case to use 4 bolts in stead of the 6 as he stated turtle racing realized 6 was really not needed and he allows slight movement in the gear area so compensate for when the cases are together from pinching the bearing races and the movement will not hurt anything, steve was very helpful and sured me that my case and gears will be fine, and to go ahead and run it and if anything happens to get ahold of him and we will figure it out. I feel very confident in what we talked about and I'm going to go ahead and give it a try. At least I know DDM has my back in case something does go wrong and thats what I call customer service. So I keep you all posted when I finally get my baja done and running if anything has changed with the case good or bad.

Yep mine does the same thing. I even checked it in the stock housing and still had side to side movement. It is normal and you shouldn't worry about it. I shimmed both sides and mine only has a very small amount of movent.

Also mine is black version and looks good.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks