twin seering servos???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i keep seeing cars with twin steering servos, is this a better mod or is the single setup fine?

All depends on how much torque you want and how much you want to spend on a really good servo!
I have a single Multiplex Jumbo on my MT and to be honest its not much cop:no:
It might be knackered as I have never seen one of these new.It is a bit slow and noisey but works. I also have one on my Marder as well.
But back to the subject,I have another Marder with a dual servo setup. They are HiTec jumbo's and if setup ok they work good,loads of torque and a decent transit time(depends which servo you use) But I think if you paid a little more for a good servo you wouldn't need a dual setup.I only bought the setup because I was new to 5th scale and went on the advice of a money hungry model shop owner.
Go with a single GOOD servo, it'll do the same job.
Good luck
James.:)

I have a Hitec 5745 on my M/T and this servo steers with authority! I even have cable brakes. (The only reason I mentioned the cable brakes is because they add drag to the steering... You have to flex 2 cables)

I have never gone with 2 servos, because I haven't felt the need to. My servo will steer both front tires easily at a stand still, on cement.

with one Hitec 5745 steering servo i could not turn full lock on grass or carpet, just smooth concrete with no grip, i find carpet a good test for servo strenth as it grips.

im now running twin Hitec 5745 steering servos, one reason for more speed the other main reason is so there is two steering serovs, two gear sets, two alloy horns to share the load, impact and to force placed on them,

for example a bad jump landing with a bad flip the impact from the crash is spead over two servos, two gear sets and two servo horns minimizing the stress placed on the serovs each servo, gear set and servo horn is only taking 50% of the force, where one servo, one gear set and one servo horn would be copping 100%.

with other large scall machines ive used with one servo i was also stripping horns and busting servos as all the load of an all alloy machine witch is heaver is placed on one servo and one servo horn witch led to alot of failers, i think running twin servos on my all alloy fg mt is great, i can full lock left ot right when the car isnt moving and it has more steering power its faster and mine would be alot heavery then stock.

even if mine still was stock i would use twin servos as im 50% less likly to have any servo dramers if they are set up corectly, and when you think about it all the top rc cars run twin steering servos, like fg competions bajas and mt, mdc, hurrax and many more.

here are some pictures on my twin steering set up

000_0002.jpg

000_0001-1.jpg

100_0650.jpg

100_0574.jpg

100_0697.jpg

i'm running with a hitec servo as my standard one burnt out and it turns lock to lock on my lawn without any prob's so will stick with the single set up me thinks, cheers for the advice guys

I have a Hitec 5745 on my M/T and this servo steers with authority! I even have cable brakes. (The only reason I mentioned the cable brakes is because they add drag to the steering... You have to flex 2 cables)

I have never gone with 2 servos, because I haven't felt the need to. My servo will steer both front tires easily at a stand still, on cement.

One is great, two is always going to be better but not a must. I do what Trip does now its worked for years.

The only other issue with running two is making sure to program each servo to run with the other or you can prematurely wear out the motors or burn them out. It can be done with a servo programmer very easily.

you don't need to program them, belive it or not.

if you run twin servos from channel one on the rx using the same signal wire, both servos will do the same thing no matter what, you can do this with a cheap y harness, or a direct power loom, then its only important to get the steering linkages/rods 100% so your servos are not fighting and are nice and quiet at rest

Last edited:
one good thing with the fg steering set up when running one steering servo is the load of the steering is shared over a double sided servo horn, so realy there is only 50% of the force spread of both sides of the servo horn.

unlike the hpi baja 5b and 5t for example all the load is place on one side of the servo and servo horn, so even a fg with one steering servo the load is much more evenly placed over the servo and servo horn compare to other set ups running a single sided servo horn.

so the stock one servo set up on the fg,s for steering is much better as the load is spread over opiste sides of the servo, so it only had 50% of the load on the left and 50% of the load of the right, but the servo main gear, still has 100% load, but this is why the fg set works better for steering with one servo the same strengh comparded to the hpi baja 5b and 5t as it has 100% of the load place on one side of the servo horn and the leverage affect is placing more then 100% load on the servo.

so my set up now is running twin steering servos with 50% of the load placed on a one sided servo horn, and 100 % of the load is placed over two servos, where the orginal set up was running 100% of the load on one servo the the load placed on the servo horn was 50% at each end but because of the push and pull set up there was no levage affect.

so either way the stock fg steering set up is still better then most other set ups with all the load placed on the servo horn on one side like the hpi baja 5b and 5t.

the stock fg steering with steering stops and two steering rods and using two sides of a double sided servo horn is a much better set up then the hpi baja 5b and 5t, the only way you can improve the stock fg steering set up is to use twin servos to share even more of the load of two servos

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks