Understanding receivers and led lights?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickDizzle

Isaiah 41:10
PLUS member
Build Thread Contributor
Ok I really want to add an RII (Remote Ignition Interrupter) light to add to the scale look of my Raminator. I found a perfect led but have a couple questions about tying it to what I want it to do. It is gonna be too hard to make it flash when the engine kill is active and solid when on. So at this point I would be happy if I could just have it off when engine kill is active and on when engine kill is not active (i.e. engine is ready to run and can fire). I know on a servo wire there is a power, ground and a signal wire.
Not being an electrical genius, could I run a futaba splitter on the channel that has my engine kill, then on thay same channel run the engine kill switch and this light?
In theory I think it would work if I pinned the led to plug into the receiver channel splitter. I would just pin the positive and negative as there is no signal obviously for the led.
You guys think this would work or cause issues. Lord knows I don't wanna toast my receiver or my engine kill switch. Last resort is just run the RII light off a 9v and just manually turn it on and off...lame..lol!
Thoughts?

Not being smart with ya...but what you mean by sync it? And I know LEDs can through weird frequencies and mess up signals. I.e. i installed LEDs on my house number lights...but they canceled out my garage door opener meaning it would not open with any remote. Took them out and boom openers worked again.

Gotcha and that is possible too...I have 7 channels and have a free one....good thought there. I have all aspects I need now so that empty channel isn't being used....you might be on to something there.

Yeah that would be the easiest route if you don’t need the channel… then you have access options to sync it. If you need the channel I guess you can use the splitter, I can’t see it causing harm. But if you are like super nervous or something u can use the spare channel.

My kill switch LED blinks when RII is activated and is steady when ready to run.
It's the same for my Baja, and I have already replaced the LED on the Baja.
Would be easy to extend the wire and mount an LED where I liked, I was gonna have the front spots on the Baja linked to the kill LED

My kill switch LED blinks when RII is activated and is steady when ready to run.
It's the same for my Baja, and I have already replaced the LED on the Baja.
Would be easy to extend the wire and mount an LED where I liked, I was gonna have the front spots on the Baja linked to the kill LED
I thought about that at first as there is an LED on my kill switch. It flashes red when killed and is steady green when on. Just not confident in myself opening up the unit and tracking down that signal and tapping into it is all.

I thought about that at first as there is an LED on my kill switch. It flashes red when killed and is steady green when on. Just not confident in myself opening up the unit and tracking down that signal and tapping into it is all.
what make of kill switch is it mate ?

Its a Triton...the stock one for the Raminator. Has worked great for me, thus never changed it.

https://www.primalrc.com/product-prpre001
ah right mate, i've never had anything to do with the triton ones,
always used killer rc one which has an aux for an external led,
have you emailed primal and asked em if theres an easy way to add an external led ?
i looked at the instruction sheet and cant see anything in the wording,

ah right mate, i've never had anything to do with the triton ones,
always used killer rc one which has an aux for an external led,
have you emailed primal and asked em if theres an easy way to add an external led ?
i looked at the instruction sheet and cant see anything in the wording,
I have not emailed yet...but will now. And thank you for looking into it. I really appreciate it!

So with limited knowledge and being a newb to RC’s I’ll weigh in. Please educate all of this if it is not correct. A fail safe is either normally open or closed depending on the desired result. I have much more experience with this in an industrial setting.

I don’t believe channel mixing or a splitter will work. That is looking at the input side. The fail safe is analyzing battery voltage, radio transmission or lack there of etc. To kill your rig it is grounding out the ignition coil, therefore for an accurate indicator of what state the kill switch is in you need to take it off the output side of the signal.

Regardless of if how it operates you should be able to solder in an in-line led to the lines going to the coil. Either it will be on active or on and inactive depending on how voltage controls the switching.

This is just an hypothesis, for anyone more educated in these matters please correct me. My flame suit is on.🤣

So with limited knowledge and being a newb to RC’s I’ll weigh in. Please educate all of this if it is not correct. A fail safe is either normally open or closed depending on the desired result. I have much more experience with this in an industrial setting.

I don’t believe channel mixing or a splitter will work. That is looking at the input side. The fail safe is analyzing battery voltage, radio transmission or lack there of etc. To kill your rig it is grounding out the ignition coil, therefore for an accurate indicator of what state the kill switch is in you need to take it off the output side of the signal.

Regardless of if how it operates you should be able to solder in an in-line led to the lines going to the coil. Either it will be on active or on and inactive depending on how voltage controls the switching.

This is just an hypothesis, for anyone more educated in these matters please correct me. My flame suit is on.🤣
You bring a valid point to this conversation. I think I am trying to over complicate something that could be easy.
The end result I am trying to obtain is my added LED is on when the truck engine is in (run) and off when its not. So your idea of tapping into that lead may be it.
I cant even find the correct y splitter. As i would need a female to 2 males...just keep finding male to 2 females lol.

Here is a pic of the trucks wiring diagram..not sure if this will add any value to this convo.
Screenshot_20211002-111207_Samsung Notes.jpg

Last edited:
As I said depending on the switch and how it is controlled by power you could wire in a reed switch to switch whether the led was on or off under power. But in the end is juice worth the squeeze? That’s a personal question and one I can’t answer. It’s all up to you.
Easy check with multimeter, check the leads for continuity under run and kill.

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks