Uneven clutch wear

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xenogears

Ran this clutch for a few gallons so took it out to see if it needed replacement. Yep!
How it wore out though is what I’m trying to fix. As you can one side has no meat left, pretty much bare metal and there are clear signs of overheating.

Any thoughts on how a clutch could wear unevenly like that? The two before it wore out evenly, so not quite sure what I might’ve done wrong this time. Engine is a stock zen32. F246F102-337B-4729-A585-3999DF0B73F3.jpegB72DC3DC-95B5-4D90-BD0F-8649EAD86A89.jpeg

With that heat id be interested to see if your clutch bell is egged
With that heat id be interested to see if your clutch bell is egged

That’s what I checked first, looks in good shape
Was the correct hardware used. Looks as tho one was overtightened. Maybe not using the correct shouldered bolt.

Definitely using the same hardware, but good point on screw tightness, I’ve been doing it just by feel and seems to have worked maybe until now I guess. I have a torque wrench so will make sure this one is tightened to spec instead of feel ?

Doesn't look all that uneven to me. These rigs don't have the tightest tolerances so a bit of uneven wear wouldn't concern me. The bluing would be the bigger concern. What I don't understand is how you wore out a clutch in a few gallons. I must have 5 or 6 on mine and its still in decent shape. I think its slipping way to much.?‍♂️

Doesn't look all that uneven to me. These rigs don't have the tightest tolerances so a bit of uneven wear wouldn't concern me. The bluing would be the bigger concern. What I don't understand is how you wore out a clutch in a few gallons. I must have 5 or 6 on mine and its still in decent shape. I think its slipping way to much.?‍♂️
One side had almost 2mm of shoe while the other had none, seems like a pretty big difference!
To me the blueing is clearly explained by the bare metal side of the clutch continuing to engage, that should cause all sorts of heating issues.

I don‘t see how a stock clutch would last 5 or 6 gallons in these 5ivets ? Mines have consistently worn out with only 1mm left at the 3 gallon mark, except for this one where it’s a little over 2. It’s definitely not slipping excessively. I’m satisfied with how they’re wearing, 3 gallons is a lot of run time, I was just concerned by how uneven this last one was.

Last edited:
One side had almost 2mm of shoe while the other had none, seems like a pretty big difference!
To me the blueing is clearly explained by the bare metal side of the clutch continuing to engage, that should cause all sorts of heating issues.

I don‘t see how a stock clutch would last 5 or 6 gallons in these 5ivets ? Mines have consistently worn out with only 1mm left at the 3 gallon mark, except for this one where it’s a little over 2. It’s definitely not slipping excessively. I’m satisfied with how they’re wearing, 3 gallons is a lot of run time, I was just concerned by how uneven this last one was.
Mines in a dbxl with only a 30.5cc, but its definitely had atleast 5 gallons on this clutch. I can't imagine 1.5cc difference would matter that much but perhaps it does.?‍♂️

Ran this clutch for a few gallons so took it out to see if it needed replacement. Yep!
How it wore out though is what I’m trying to fix. As you can one side has no meat left, pretty much bare metal and there are clear signs of overheating.

Any thoughts on how a clutch could wear unevenly like that? The two before it wore out evenly, so not quite sure what I might’ve done wrong this time. Engine is a stock zen32. View attachment 63933View attachment 63934

This is very wierd wear. Never seen this type of wear on clutch shoes. Almost looks like a radius dimensional mis-match between the clutch shoes and the clutch bell. Can you post a pic of the clutch shoes placed inside the clutch bell for reference ?

This is very wierd wear. Never seen this type of wear on clutch shoes. Almost looks like a radius dimensional mis-match between the clutch shoes and the clutch bell. Can you post a pic of the clutch shoes placed inside the clutch bell for reference ?
That one is long gone at this point. “New” one is nearing the end of its life expectancy though, hopefully it’s a more even wear, but if not I’ll post pics of both the clutch and bell ?

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks