used fg marder or new xrc?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grainbrane

Hi y'all, I'm looking to buy my first 1/5 buggy and have a budget of around 300. For this I can get a brand new xrc or a used marder on ebay. any input would be appreciated.

Go for the marder, I did & its fantastic :cool2:
I agree with pipe that most xrc owner end up upgrading anyways so just go for the FG

take it from a FG and XRC owner.........me.

Go for the marder without a doubt.

I am constantly putting more money into the XRC due to weak parts breaking all the time.

Also the wear on some of the parts are astronomical.

My dog bones, out drives and axles all wore out in under 5 litres.

Thanks for everyone's input. It seems unanimous, fg all the way. Will I be able to race the marder if I want to in the large scale races? I mean can I race it as is or do I need to put modifications into it? Will I be able to compete? thanks

FG! And yes racing can be done. A good set of on road tires and maybe a gear change and your set. Mostly only need metal gears for off road. Plastic will be ok for on road.

To put it simpler the FG wont require constant upgrading/new parts evertime you take it out where as the XRC will.

Have a look at the vids section. I have a XRC doing a couple of laps around my local BMX track.

Gives you a good idea of the acceleration. If you jumping any bigger than this (and im hardly getting any air) you will need a constant supply of new parts.

This is the biggest air I ever got with the XRC and I still managed to bend all 4 suspension shafts and they are all leaking.

Sperera:

Just out of curiosity; do you have the 1.0 version of the XRC buggy?
You sure seem to have your share of the problems...

Granted, I´ve had plenty of breakages with my 2.0, but not the usual (broken gears, servos stripping out of the box, crappy plastic...), since everything that has been broken, would have had broken in some expensive models also, under the same circumstances (I think...)

Also, for an RC-newbie like myself, it has teached a lot about the hobby :), though with todays knowledge I´ll propably go for Marder too.

XRC RC-2 V2 with metal parts is okay for the price. With some pre-adjusting and strenghtening (metal bumper is a must, if you want your front end to last!) it can take pretty serious beating. With new servos and radio it is actually pretty great :). But out of the box...it´s Ready To Redo -kit.

Last edited:
Sperera:

Just out of curiosity; do you have the 1.0 version of the XRC buggy?
You sure seem to have your share of the problems...

Granted, I´ve had plenty of breakages with my 2.0, but not the usual (broken gears, servos stripping out of the box, crappy plastic...), since everything that has been broken, would have had broken in some expensive models also, under the same circumstances (I think...)

Also, for an RC-newbie like myself, it has teached a lot about the hobby :), though with todays knowledge I´ll propably go for Marder too.

XRC RC-2 V2 with metal parts is okay for the price. With some pre-adjusting and strenghtening (metal bumper is a must, if you want your front end to last!) it can take pretty serious beating. With new servos and radio it is actually pretty great :). But out of the box...it´s Ready To Redo -kit.

Mine is the V2 but my understanding is there isnt a huge amount of difference between the two, couple of small upgrades I beileve. This may be apart of the reason my spur gear never shredded.

Please don't get me wrong, if I could do it all over again I prolly would get the XRC first then do what ive done and upgrade to the FG. For the money its hard to beat but compared to the more expensive stuff its chalk and cheese.

I have only relayed my personal experience and opinion. Therefore if you can get a used FG for the price of a XRC go for it. I still support that advice.

I also think the XRC is better suited to a person willing and capable of fabricating and improving on the design, like yourself. For me who just wants to go out on a weekend and have a bash for a couple of hours and spend time only cleaning it may not have been the best decision.

But in saying that the XRC did teach me allot about control and cemented that im heavily addicted to large scale RC. So it did exactly what I wanted it to, just broke a few things in the process.

Hope that explains my point of view. :)

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks