Warning: Spektrum "fail safe" not so safe

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

modex20

Bound an SR410 to DX2E. Set the fail safe to full brakes in the event of lost signal. The video below shows me testing it out by turning the radio off and on to simulate loss and regain of signal. The first few times behave as expected. However you can see at the end that as soon as it regains signal it goes full throttle without any input.

Imagine driving it when this happens. It would be gone with the wind. Jesus Spektum.

Invest in a kill switch. If you lose signal the engine shuts off.
If you are driving and you lose signal...not good.
If you are driving and you lose signal then the signal comes back again...even worse. You don't have a solid connection with your 30+ pound leg breaking property damaging car that can glitch out on you again and break a leg or damage some property.
Kill switch shuts the engine off. No engine...no gone with the wind car. You will have to do the walk of shame to your car to start it up again.....but that Is a good thing.....if you are dropping signal it probably means you are driving too far away..it also gives you a chance to give your car a quick look over to see if there is anything else that might be causing the problem/glitch...like a destroyed antennae.

I'm with you on the kill switch. I have one.

It's still no excuse for Spektrum, however.

Edit: also kill switches can fail. It's good to have redundant fail safes.

Those Spektrum RTR systems with the AVC are total crap. They are very undependable and finicky. All of the RTR radios I've gotten in the last several years go in the garbage along with those crappy AVC RX's.

What smrmdr1 said. Those systems are crap. One of them came with my MTXL and it was the first thing I upgraded. Unrealiable POS. Thanks for putting up a warning.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks