Wet, black spark plug and engine dies

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heynow!

So....in the continuing saga of my $1,500 paperweight (my Losi 5ive T 2.0), my latest issue is that it will idle for a few minutes, then die. I take out the spark plug (iridium, because the stock plug wouldn't spark), and it is black and wet. I have not adjusted any carb settings from the factory position. Any idea of how to get rid of this problem so my paperweight will actually run? I have ran two tanks through it so far. Thank you!

Pretty sure this is a lack of understanding with the 2.0. I'm on my 2nd 2.0 and they are not known for being the junk you describe. You need to tune the carb and what oil "brand" are you using.
Also a picture of this spark plug will help us help you.

Pretty sure this is a lack of understanding with the 2.0. I'm on my 2nd 2.0 and they are not known for being the junk you describe. You need to tune the carb and what oil "brand" are you using.
Also a picture of this spark plug will help us help you.
Hello! I am using VP racing fuel (25:1 ratio). I cleaned the spark plug already. If it happens again, I will send a pix.

I had that same problem with my redcat mt, i was using regular gas, may want to try a premium or higher grade. Just a thought. And mind the gap on the spark plug, mine was only a .10 off, i couldn't get it to fire for anything. Picky motor.

No offense but you really cannot compare a Chung yang engine to a zenoah. The OP needs to run the engine somewhat hard to keep plugs from fouling and its recommended to use 91+ octane also preferably no ethanol content

What octane is the fuel? And you gotta run 2 strokes hard as they will foul plug putting around. Also are you using the stock muffler?
It doesn't say the octane. It is "VP Power Master " Power Mix ethanol free fuel. Part # 6538. Stock muffler. Only modification I did to the car is install a M.O.D. kill switch. Also, thank you for taking time to help me out.

When I did the break in when I first started large scale I noticed a very very large amount of oil sitting in the stock muffler. I suggest getting a tuned pipe for it to help the engine breathe and expel all of the oil these require. I vote get a pipe but maybe someone else has better input. 2 stroked depend on expelling as much exhaust as they can to get a better fresh air charge for the next combustion cycle.

When I did the break in when I first started large scale I noticed a very very large amount of oil sitting in the stock muffler. I suggest getting a tuned pipe for it to help the engine breathe and expel all of the oil these require. I vote get a pipe but maybe someone else has better input. 2 stroked depend on expelling as much exhaust as they can to get a better fresh air charge for the next combustion cycle.
Thanks for the input. My frustration is that the car won't run in stock configuration. The original spark plug was bad (not a big deal in the greater scheme of things). Now, I can't take it out and run it without it quitting. I expected to be able to buy it, fire it up, and run it. That hasn't been the case. Anyhow, thanks again. You have provided many solid inputs to help me since I joined this forum.

when i got my 5t 2.0 the carb was not tuned properly. it's not at factory setting when i received it. Close both needle and set the low needle at 1.25 turns from close and high needle at 1.5 turns from close. Then use pump gas with a yamaha or Castor 2-cycle oil. Move on to fancy stuff after you get it running right. If this doesn't solve it, remove the carb from the engine and reassemble making sure the proper gaskets are where they should be and there is no torn gasket, torn gaskets will screw up your air/fuel mixture. also check the screws within the carb are tight. unlikely
issue but you should also check your idle setting. if none of this works or if you feel this is too much work for a brand new car then contact Losi/horizon and see if they will replace the car. I pretty much accepted that this car will ultimately need work at some point, sometimes even fresh out of the box. But if you've done everything you can and it still doesn't run well, then it's warranty time. I just wouldn't expect it to run perfectly out of the box, tuning is definitely part of this hobby. Sorry for stating obviouses here, just trying to help. good luck

It doesn't say the octane. It is "VP Power Master " Power Mix ethanol free fuel. Part # 6538. Stock muffler. Only modification I did to the car is install a M.O.D. kill switch. Also, thank you for taking time to help me out.
Is it possible the kill switch is causing your issue? Low voltage? What battery?

These things aren’t bad to tune once broken in. Set your idle mixture then adjust idle rpm. Then work on the high needle. Watch YouTube. OBR has a great video on setting up a carb.

PROGRESS!! Thanks to OBR on Youtube, I finally started a very (very) flooded engine by taking off the carb. NOW...I restarted the engine and it worked! So, so glorious to hear the engine run! Anyhow, I have the high/low needles back at factory. I was adjusting the idle RPM screw, and it died. It will not start again. Spark plug is not wet, although the tip of the stock exhaust is coated in oil. It ran for about 10 minutes before dying. I looked in the owners manual and cannot find the factory setting for the idle RPM screw. Does anyone know what it is? Also, if the motor dies after running for awhile, is that a sign of being too rich or too lean?

There is no setting for the idle screw.
You just screw it in until it idles.
You can also start a flooded engine by spraying some starter fluid in through the air filter - much easier.

Screwing the idle screw in will increase rpm. If you lean the low speed needle you'll cause the engine idle to rise. It's hard explaining it but in a nut shell get the thing to start and then mess with the idle and slowly turn the low speed needle clock wise slowly and you'll hear the idle pick up then you can adjust the idle screw counter clockwise to bring the idle back down. Your most likely way off on the idle so you may have to give it a little throttle to start but it's imperative that you have the tires off the ground so it doesn't take off on you or hit someone.

Also its good practice when you get a very flooded engine running to run it WOT to clear out all of the oil and fuel that's lingering in the engine and pipe. You could have also fouled the plug out so you should start over with a fresh plug.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks