What is a clone of what?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foundryratjim

In my journey with wanting a Large Scale gas car i decided to focus on Losi, only because that since i have been in RC (early 80's) the Losi brand has been around. Now that I have a 5T, I have been researching parts and upgrades. In doing a search on Ebay i find many parts that are interchangeable with multiple models. So what brands share parts and who has copied who?

In my journey with wanting a Large Scale gas car i decided to focus on Losi, only because that since i have been in RC (early 80's) the Losi brand has been around. Now that I have a 5T, I have been researching parts and upgrades. In doing a search on Ebay i find many parts that are interchangeable with multiple models. So what brands share parts and who has copied who?
well this is can of worms........ buy a losi fix it with losi parts or original aftermarket upgrades (y)

Don't some of the more reputable companies also clone? I know a few bigger brands make shortcourse trucks, so some must be clones no? I guess what im saying is all clones cant be bad.
clone is a direct copy of something. shortcourse truck is a vehicle class, while they are often similar (to fit the class) they make them different enough for them not to be a clone (different style suspension, transmission ect) of each other.

Last edited:
Com
Is buying buying counterfeit products ok?‍♂️
Completely different animal. I guess I just don't get the shear hatred towards the clone buggies. Just think of them
Is buying buying counterfeit products ok?‍♂️
They're more like a generic brand than a counterfeit. I guess I just don't get why they're so despised. My rovan buggy is the only reason im in this hobby. I don't have the money to test the waters on the name brand products. I see their purpose in the market. Agree to disagree I suppose

I bought a running hpi for $200 us after I sold some of the excess parts that it came with ?? only issue was the pullstart butt a had that sorted same day
Screenshot_20200107-035028_Samsung Internet.jpg
The problem with clones is the parts don't line up 100% so when you buy upgrade they don't always fit?‍♂️ .......buy a real rig so when you come to upgrading it all works as it should ??
I'm not the first person to find this out.....
Com
Completely different animal. I guess I just don't get the shear hatred towards the clone buggies. Just think of them
They're more like a generic brand than a counterfeit. I guess I just don't get why they're so despised. My rovan buggy is the only reason im in this hobby. I don't have the money to test the waters on the name brand products. I see their purpose in the market. Agree to disagree I suppose

I bought a running hpi for $200 us after I sold some of the excess parts that it came with ?? only issue was the pullstart butt a had that sorted same day
View attachment 55867
The problem with clones is the parts don't line up 100% so when you buy upgrade they don't always fit?‍♂️ .......buy a real rig so when you come to upgrading it all works as it should ??
This /\
Also, it is counterfeit. A fake is a fake, with your logic, a clone Rolex that looks identical to a Rolex and let's say, said Rolex was very distinct and one of its kind, and there's a blatant rip off, "oh it's just generic" no it's a rip off. No ripping off should be tolerated, small or big scale period
That was also probably one of the shittiest examples you've ever heard but I hope i got my point across ??

Don't some of the more reputable companies also clone? I know a few bigger brands make shortcourse trucks, so some must be clones no? I guess what im saying is all clones cant be bad.
yes of course they do. Often its the same truck ,that each company just add a bell or a whistle to and their logo and presto. Its their 'version'. There are a couple of large Chinese toy makers that pretty much have the market for smaller nylon plastic models cornered and I have seen their chassis with a lot of different hats on. Even from otherwise reputable racing brands that want to reach into the mainsteam a little more and get their own "advertisement pen car". I don't know what else to call it. Its like a "we are here too" more than a real effort to try and go up against TraxxAss, wHoreizon etc. on their hometurf. I suspect.
.. sometimes you don't have that option even with the big name brand companies

And some times the copy product just look better. I quite like the look of KM's hats.

Gonna buck the trend here and say I have a few king motor X2 plastic parts on my 5ive. Most parts on my 5ive will be replaced with Losi parts or aftermarket when they wear out but allot of the plastic parts in the UK are vastly over priced. Why would I pay £40 for a cage panel when I can get it for less than £5? Arms are £35 quid for two or just a few £ from KM and the plastic quality is the same.

My only advice though is the KMX2, 30DNT and the Rovan are clones and are not from the same molds or designs. Allot of parts are a fraction of a mm out to several mm. The KM radio tray barely fits a 5ive chassis for instance. The clone metal parts are also inferior quality.

I have the 30 North version of the 5t. The losi hop ups I've bought have fitted no issue.
The 30 North dnt has a stronger chassis and superior shell, and a performance exhaust and lipo ready servos.
And is half the price of a losi 5t in the UK..
I'm pretty sure it's a fair comment to say the losi isn't £700 quid / 1000 dollars better than the 30 North.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks