What maintenance/spare parts to get when buying new baja 5b

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meowy84

A bit of an update. So I've been delayed by several weeks in my order of a new baja (likely the entry level 305A) due to the outside world and also by doing some more research (out of the game for a while, new to 1/5 but not new to gas or rc, blah blah). Since I'm frugal (you can call me cheap even haha) but a stickler for maintenance I want to order some additional maintenance parts all at once to save on shipping cost and time.

Here's a list of my basic budget-minded must-have parts to start with. If anyone has any other recommendations please share.
1. the baja (ok, too obvious)
2. kill switch
3. 6000rpm clutch (I will not be heavy bashing and car might be used by myself (also some kids) so this de-tune should give mellower launches and be easier on the drive-train too)
4. set of tires (btw question: anyone know generally how durable the stock Rovan spike tires are?)
5. bottles of shock oil/rear end lube
6. spare air filter

So here's the big question for y'all. Anything else you'd yourself add to that list?

Mucho gracias for verifying my newbie list. To comment on what was just said, for spare screws should one bother with a stock screw set as back-up or get better quality (keeping a small budget in mind)? Also, what general weight/viscosity shock oil would be recommended after the factory one leaks out? (I have some full-scale machinery hydraulic lubricating oil, 30 weight I thought of trying, should be compatible with 1/5 rubber shock seals I imagine and I have access to the stuff for nothing...just an idea.

A bit of an update. So I've been delayed by several weeks in my order of a new baja (likely the entry level 305A) due to the outside world and also by doing some more research (out of the game for a while, new to 1/5 but not new to gas or rc, blah blah). Since I'm frugal (you can call me cheap even haha) but a stickler for maintenance I want to order some additional maintenance parts all at once to save on shipping cost and time.

Here's a list of my basic budget-minded must-have parts to start with. If anyone has any other recommendations please share.
1. the baja (ok, too obvious)
2. kill switch
3. 6000rpm clutch (I will not be heavy bashing and car might be used by myself (also some kids) so this de-tune should give mellower launches and be easier on the drive-train too)
4. set of tires (btw question: anyone know generally how durable the stock Rovan spike tires are?)
5. bottles of shock oil/rear end lube
6. spare air filter

So here's the big question for y'all. Anything else you'd yourself add to that list?
spark plugs, ignition coil, spur gear, air filter oil,

If you keep buying spares they start breeding. 🤣
I know. Might as well buy two bajas. That should cover every part failure. Seriously tho the list is getting long, I agree. But I think to really enjoy the thing without getting it, playing with it for a week and then waiting two weeks for some small insignificant part to ship you pretty much need most of those items, i.e. spare plug comes to mind immediately as a must have. But yeah the $500 car is fast becoming a $700 car even before anything breaks. I'll have to get pants with deeper pockets really soon I think. :)

not really must haves but almost, for low cost:
lipo, alu steering servo horn, alu servo saver, remove steering rod ends slop.
Other than thats its solid chassis so no worries, spares are cheap.
6k rpm clutch spring is good choice for baja imo, at least for dirt.
One my clutch spring broke and clutch was permamently engages, i drove like this for some time, its actually really fun to drive baja like this, surprisingly engine had more than enough torque on idle rpms to keep chassis going and driving precision was not even comparable!
even considered driving deliberately without clutch spring, but not being able to stop without killing engine would prolly get old real fast, and you could strip diff easier so decided not to lol

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks