What was your very first hobby grade RC?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine was a 2wd brushed Ecx Ruckus back in 2015. Got it from my LHS, it was a ok vehicle, not very fast (beginners car what do you expect lol), it was pretty durable. But the main issue I had with it was the C hub would always fall off, it wasn't broken but the screws would back out every run, at that time I didn't know how to think out of the box even tho this was a extremely insignificant problem, but at some point I just stuck some wood screws in it and it was fixed, then I sold it for my Pro .15 Nitro 4 Tec, anyways here it is
ecx03022i.jpg

Oh man, it's hard to remember back that far! Lol.

My first hobby grade RC was a Mongram Lightning, aka the Wave Hunter by Yonezawa in Japan. I loved that car but it didn't last long, thanks to the cheap plastic. Then the first hobby grade kit car I had was a Midnight Pumpkin. Loved that truck too. I remember elongating the wheelbase to accommodate a Bolink or Parma '55 Chevy body. I put a Trinity "Big Daddy" 9 turn motor with a Tekin speed controller and a Hyperdrive belt drive system in it. Went really fast, straight... And that's all it did! Haha.

Mine was a 2wd brushed Ecx Ruckus back in 2015. Got it from my LHS, it was a ok vehicle, not very fast (beginners car what do you expect lol), it was pretty durable. But the main issue I had with it was the C hub would always fall off, it wasn't broken but the screws would back out every run, at that time I didn't know how to think out of the box even tho this was a extremely insignificant problem, but at some point I just stuck some wood screws in it and it was fixed, then I sold it for my Pro .15 Nitro 4 Tec, anyways here it is
View attachment 52456
Nicee. ??
In 2010 I got a Traxxas Summit, that started a bad RC addiction. Now have 20+ RC rigs, lots of upgrades, hop ups, & 6 of them are 1/5 scale gas burners.
Wow!

My first ever RC was in 1986, the Tyco Turbo Hopper. In 1992, Tamiya Clodbuster was my first hobby grade RC. Tamiya is still selling the Clodbuster to this day. https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?I=LXCARU

I've seen some pretty insane builds for CBs. Back then they were one of the most modified RCs out there. Of course, I was a broke ass kid, so mine was bone stock. Gave it to a friend's younger brother.

My first ever RC was in 1986, the Tyco Turbo Hopper. In 1992, Tamiya Clodbuster was my first hobby grade RC. Tamiya is still selling the Clodbuster to this day. https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?I=LXCARU

I've seen some pretty insane builds for CBs. Back then they were one of the most modified RCs out there. Of course, I was a broke ass kid, so mine was bone stock. Gave it to a friend's younger brother.

I had a Clod as well. That was such an awesome truck for back then! I did a few ESP hop-ups and put the Trinity modified matched motor set in it with a Novak speed controller. Did a few different bodies, but that was about it. I wish I still had that thing.

hahah! Yeah, I had a ton of mods on my wish list. basically metal everything, Trinity motors, Novak Esc, cantilever suspension with billet oil filled shocks, pretty much the works. Sadly, I couldn't even afford a 2nd battery pack. Maybe one of these days I'll pick up a new one and spoil the inner child in me with everything he wanted back then.

hahah! Yeah, I had a ton of mods on my wish list. basically metal everything, Trinity motors, Novak Esc, cantilever suspension with billet oil filled shocks, pretty much the works. Sadly, I couldn't even afford a 2nd battery pack. Maybe one of these days I'll pick up a new one and spoil the inner child in me with everything he wanted back then.
?

Always wanted a hornet ?

The only problem with the Hornet was the solid rear axle with no diff.
Turning circle was about the same as a Mack with trailer.
My next was a Frog followed by Kyosho Progress.
30 yrs later I got my first nitro a Thunder Tiger Buggy then on to 1/5 scale.
I still enjoy hearing the nitro rev but 5ths are more fun to wrench on.

Anyone notice most of us started with a tamiya?
Back in most of our beginnings, Tamiya reigned supreme. I started with Bolink, however, then I shifted to HPI (Rs4 nitro), then Schumacher (nitro), then Ofna (nitro) then Tamiya (electrics), and finally, Team Associated. I'm now on Redcat Racing large scale but hope to be able to afford a Losi 5ive T, a Rovan buggy, and ultimately an FG on-road car. In the latter order. Lol

Anyone notice most of us started with a tamiya?

Tamiya and Kyosho were huge back in the day. I never had a Kyosho though. Had a ton of Tamiya's, had a Marui Big Bear, Schumacher Cat 4wd a Top Cat, which I wish I still had... I know they reissued it, but they didn't make many of the originals. That front end design was a mess lol. I still have my Thunder Tiger EK4 Monster truck that came with a .70 heli engine. And I have a couple Mugen MBX 1/8 nitro buggies. They are all sitting in totes in my basement, haven't ran them in over a decade.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks