Whats the BEST 2 stroke oil

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Be prepared for allot of different opinions LOL.

My opinion, Motul 800 factory line. Expensive but cheap insurance for a high revving engine.

When I looked around for 2 stroke oil there were only a few options out there that could handle high rpm applications, I believe Shell Racing has a good 2 stroke oil and so does Castrol.

I use Motul because they have a long histroy with racing and 2 stroke applications and can handle engine that can rev in excess of 20,000rpm which a good rc engine will be able to hit.

Plus its what allot of motor bike shops stock and recomend so easily available.

Like Sperera said, lots of opinions... ;)

I like the Castrol Synthetic for 2 stroke engine. I've run hundreds of tanks with the stuff and it has never let me down.

Chris

I use the King Cobra Racing Venom. Works well for me :cool2:
There have been a few other threads similar to this so you might be as well doing a search :)

I use the King Cobra Racing Venom. Works well for me :cool2:
There have been a few other threads similar to this so you might be as well doing a search :)

Dwarfy, do you use their synthetic one or the caster based one ???
I got sold the caster based one (gold bottle,red top) when I first got my SS, cos I disint have a clue about oils, and it seemed that people thought the caster based ones were not a good idea.... BUT, several months later and all still seems well !
So i'm wondering on my next engine whether to stick with what I know - the caster... or to try their synthetic ??????????

Dwarfy, do you use their synthetic one or the caster based one ???
I got sold the caster based one (gold bottle,red top) when I first got my SS, cos I disint have a clue about oils, and it seemed that people thought the caster based ones were not a good idea.... BUT, several months later and all still seems well !
So i'm wondering on my next engine whether to stick with what I know - the caster... or to try their synthetic ??????????

Yes mate same 1 and all is well 12mths on! My mates have been using it for a few years with no problems. Unless something goes wrong due to the oil I don't feel the need to change.

an oil company that has impressed me and has been focusing on making the best oils to date is amsoil!

i run the amsoil saber in everything i own, from chainsaws, to dirtbikes to my rc's and gopeds! there are many different formulations and not one of them is bad!

i currently run the amsoil saber which is forumulated for the dilution rate of 100:1 yes 100:1......you can run other dillution rates if desired... i built a 23.3 cc engine for my baja and it was a fresh build, all new never been run, took it to a sand pit with dirt buster tires and stock gearing with a rear dom pipe. i was running vp race fuel and 80:1 oil ratio. i ran in a sand pit that is 7 miles of sand and very wide open. the purpose of this bash secession was to test the power of this test engine and the quality of the oil.. the engine was started and tuned, then from there on it was wot for minitues at a clip, with a total of an hr and a half of runtime total.... after getting home i tore then engine down and inspected it, i was extremely shocked to see oil covering everything internally as if i ran 25:1 !!! the bearings, cylinder, piston and cases were loaded with oil and this car was never idled for more than a second at a time!

also this test was conducted with a cy 23 cylinder!

all in all im sold on this oil and recommend it to anyone that wants a premium race oil!

From the above (and other threads I've read) it seems like the general opinion is that castor or part synthetic is fine for bashing and protects teh engine well, but all the racers use fully synthetic because of the high RPM protection.

Despite being an engineer, I couldn't say which is best as I don't typicaly deal with high RPM engines (the fastest ours do is 600 RPM at full chat). Does anyone know the technical reason for using fully synthetic?

TM, is amsoil fully synthetic?

I use Redline Racing synthetic 2 stroke racing oil. Can be mixed up to 100:1, but I run it at 32:1. I've been using it for the last two years in a CY26 marine engine constantly run at over 18,000 rpm and the inside still looks new and haven't had to re-ring it or change the bearings yet either.

From the above (and other threads I've read) it seems like the general opinion is that castor or part synthetic is fine for bashing and protects teh engine well, but all the racers use fully synthetic because of the high RPM protection.

Despite being an engineer, I couldn't say which is best as I don't typicaly deal with high RPM engines (the fastest ours do is 600 RPM at full chat). Does anyone know the technical reason for using fully synthetic?

TM, is amsoil fully synthetic?

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/atp.aspx

Amsoil is fully synthetic.

I also use Saber Pro. Its all about friction or lack of. That is why in the beginning of the Synthetic switch most manufactures recommended you break in your 2 stroke with non synthetic. It was thought that you would not get the friction and wearing that they wanted at break in. This has since been changed and manufactures are allowing it because the tolerances have gotten so much closer.

I tore my G260 down after many 5 gallon cans of fuel. I did it because I thought i needed too. After the tear down i found the head to be slightly brown from burnt oil and fuel. I found the head piston and ring to look very good. I changed out the ring but found nothing else was needed.
I AM a chicken to run leaner but...... I will be doing a test this spring with an engine leaned out to what my Amsoil dealer tells me. I tell him that I'm at 25:1 and he laughs and says OK keeps you buying oil from me more often...:clown:

I swear by the stuff.;)

Last edited:
Pennzoil full synthetic marine outboard. We run the 260puh in a large heli and were recommended from the heli manufacturer, to run the Pennzoil. The high rpm protection designed for the outboard provides excellent protection for the hobby engine. I talked to a couple of guys at IRCHA last summer who claimed to have "blown up" they're engines running on Klotz r-50. Not sure, I can say the Pennzoil runs cool, starts first pull usually, is readily available(even Tractor Supply has it) has a nice color on the plug, and smells like engine exhaust. Another nice trait of outboard oil is the anti foaming additive........

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks