whats the score with oils

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simon67

I am fairly new to these petrol engines and have heard a lot of magic talk about what oils to mix.
I saw a vid. Of a guy opening his losi 5ive box, taking out the oil and saying "i" won't be needing that, surely losi won't put an oil in with their car, that is going to do damage.
I was using shell advanced 2 stroke engine oil and a fella came up to me and said this is the oil you should be using.
I put plenty of oil in my mixes, a little over the 25:1 recommended, just to be on the safe side and then this bloke tells me, it can damage my engine, now I'm not saying he was wrong but shouldn't there be warnings, like do not use these oils in rc cars, you can only use racing oils or your engine will pack up early.
Can any body clear this up a bit, with facts plz. What oils you can use and if a bit more oil helps.
I also spray a bit of wd 40 in the spk plug hole if I'm not useing it for a while,
Is this ok.cheers simon

Hi Simon, you'll realise that a lot of people on forums just relate what they've read elsewhere no matter what the topic is - 99% is lost in translation or billshirt.
2 stroke oil is one of those subjects thats has a massive cloud of urban myth and billshirt around it. The are all sorts of brand names thrown around including how to mix it, what petrol to use, how long to keep it and what to do if you don't use your car for a while.

I've pretty much always used castrol A747 and shell Vpower with a mix of 150ml - 200ml of oil to 5ltr of petrol depending of the conditions - it's about £15 a bottle from good karting shops & some model shops. I don't need to run my engines in because they're done from the tuner but as you'll read through various forums, you'll see there are a million and one ways of doing it. I've always taken the advice from a particular engine tuner I've known well for many years and I've never had an issue with any of my engines.

I doubt this will help but just research what people are saying. Some people appear bright untill you hear them speak.

Mike

Right now I am running klotz full synthetic. I think it's called r50 supertechniplate. I am running the recommended 25:1 with vpower.

I am thinking of changing to amsoil dominator and trying 32:1. I have read a lot of positive posts about this oil. Some say that klotz leaves a lot of deposits. Been great for me. Like posted Above, this topic is like ford/Chevy debate, everyone's got their favorite and everything else is bad.

I live in Michigan where are winters are really cold. I have to stay away from castors because it doesn't mix well with gas in really cold weather. It tends to suspend. I'm warmer temps it works great. Keep that in mind. Hope this helps. It will probably start a huge debate....lol

I am fairly new to these petrol engines and have heard a lot of magic talk about what oils to mix.
I saw a vid. Of a guy opening his losi 5ive box, taking out the oil and saying "i" won't be needing that, surely losi won't put an oil in with their car, that is going to do damage.
I was using shell advanced 2 stroke engine oil and a fella came up to me and said this is the oil you should be using.
I put plenty of oil in my mixes, a little over the 25:1 recommended, just to be on the safe side and then this bloke tells me, it can damage my engine, now I'm not saying he was wrong but shouldn't there be warnings, like do not use these oils in rc cars, you can only use racing oils or your engine will pack up early.
Can any body clear this up a bit, with facts plz. What oils you can use and if a bit more oil helps.
I also spray a bit of wd 40 in the spk plug hole if I'm not useing it for a while,
Is this ok.cheers simon

I run Amsoil after breakin of 25:1 of 1 gallon ans switch to 50:1. 25:1 fouls out the plugs and make the engine start hard as well as leaves heasvy and lots of oil deposits after. Just what the oil companeis like. They want you to you buy more!:lol: These engines run tight so you don't need 25:1 oil mix.

Is this ok.cheers simon

Hi Simon,
I don't use oil either ... much faster that way .... :rolleyes: ... to the engine graveyard that is!!
ONLY JOKING !!
If you want full-on reliable and up-to-date advice, Mike's a full-on FG team racer, so he's definitely got the correct information.
I'm using fully synthetic Castrol 2-stroke oil - I asked for the 'best and most expensive' - and run a compromise, as I'd been watching the FG DVD stating 40:1, and everyone else saying all sorts of mixes, with the more experienced saying 25:1, like Mike is.
32:1 is probably safe, 40:1 not sure, but 90% go for 25:1, particularly the racers - and they need power and reliability ('though perhaps not Mike as he gets everything for nout anyway, as a team driver .... :lol::lol::lol:).

Al.

i run 30/1 and only use a good fully synthetic oil never had any trouble,some poeple will tell you one thing the some will tell you another find what works best for you mate and stick with it 50/1 is for weed wackers and chainsaws between 25/1-40/1 is ok get you self a mixing bottle that makes life easy

Hi Simon,
I don't use oil either ... much faster that way .... :rolleyes: ... to the engine graveyard that is!!
ONLY JOKING !!
If you want full-on reliable and up-to-date advice, Mike's a full-on FG team racer, so he's definitely got the correct information.
I'm using fully synthetic Castrol 2-stroke oil - I asked for the 'best and most expensive' - and run a compromise, as I'd been watching the FG DVD stating 40:1, and everyone else saying all sorts of mixes, with the more experienced saying 25:1, like Mike is.
32:1 is probably safe, 40:1 not sure, but 90% go for 25:1, particularly the racers - and they need power and reliability ('though perhaps not Mike as he gets everything for nout anyway, as a team driver .... :lol::lol::lol:).

Al.

Oi I resemble that comment, I do pay for stuff and oil is one of those many items. I probably should know this but as I've never been bothered.....:rolleyes: . I don't know what what various %'s are when people are going on about oil. In my on road car I'd use 150ml if it's anything upto a quite warm day and 200ml if it's cracking the flags, it's not so important in the off road car because you're never full throttle for that long like with the on road car.

Thank very much for your advice lads, I'll stick to 25:1 to be on the safe side, I actually put a bit more oil in as its not one of those top brands.
I have about one more mix I can do with it, thats about a tank, it seems a shame to throw it away, what do you think, is it going to damage the engine, if so I'll bin it, it's shell advanced.
Thanks again

it'll be fine. there are oils out there that will cause more build up than others but if you just stick to a branded oil youll be fine. tune is a large factor in most cases where you see excessive build up or engine failure. just tune it correctly.

927 is one of the best available. its all i use but i don't recommed oil to anyone, it always ends up in a big converstation about which is better.

simon, is that last post directed at me? i meant no disrespect to you if that is how you took it. just saying, a lot of times people wanna blame the oil for fouled plugs or excessive carbon build up or whatever, but a lot of times its just the tune being off.

927 is one of the best available. its all i use but i don't recommed oil to anyone, it always ends up in a big converstation about which is better.

simon, is that last post directed at me? i meant no disrespect to you if that is how you took it. just saying, a lot of times people wanna blame the oil for fouled plugs or excessive carbon build up or whatever, but a lot of times its just the tune being off.
Ha, ha, no way mate, I would never be so disrespectful to a person trying to help me, I was just saying nice 1(thanks, cheers, good advice) you have just picked me up wrong.
I have had no trouble with the oil I use, but have been left a little uncertain as to wearse it will damage my engine, so your advice was good.
As regards to my tuning, everything seems fine, but I am a bit concerned that it may all go to cock when I put the bartolone pipe on.
Cheers Simon ;)

Last edited:
Ha, ha, no way mate, I would never be so disrespectful to a person trying to help me, I was just saying nice 1(thanks, cheers, good advice) you have just picked me up wrong.
I have had no trouble with the oil I use, but have been left a little uncertain as to wearse it will damage my engine, so your advice was good.
As regards to my tuning, everything seems fine, but I am a bit concerned that it may all go to cock when I put the bartolone pipe on.
Cheers Simon ;)

25:1 will be fine, you don't need to go any more just because you think the oil might not be the best. There arent really any bad oils out there just some better than others.

25:1 will be fine, you don't need to go any more just because you think the oil might not be the best. There arent really any bad oils out there just some better than others.

By better, do you mean it will keep the engine cleaner longer.
Cheers

maximalogo_477x10021.jpg

Maxima Castor 927

Maximacastor927.jpg
Castor 927

Racing 2-Cycle Oil, Pre-Mix Only

Castor 927 is a unique blend of highly refined castor oil, a specially prepared synthetic and an additive system that reduces carbon and gum formation and provides excellent rust & corrosion protection. Castor 927 also contains an exclusive additive that keeps power valves cleaner and working properly. For all of us that wish to keep our air and water cleaner, Castor 927 is biodegradable. Castor 927 keeps on lubricating; where other lubricants turn to carbon or vaporize, and provides extra protection on cylinder walls, bearing journals and other critical areas at temperatures much higher than other lubricants.

Usage

Castor 927 is ideally suited as a premix for both leaded and unleaded fuels.
Recommended Premix Ratios
50-80cc (24-32:1) 125cc (24-40:1)
250cc (24-40:1) 500cc and up (32-60:1)

Technical Data

Color D 1500 Yellow
Gravity °A.P.I. 17.6
Viscosity SUS @ 100°F 617
Viscosity SUS @ 210°F 73
Viscosity cSt @ 40°C 133.1
Viscosity cSt @ 100°C 13.79
Pour Point, °F -5
Flash Point, °F 420
Fire Point, °F 480
Viscosity Index 99
SAE Viscosity 40

maximalogo_477x10021.jpg

Maxima Castor 927

Maximacastor927.jpg
Castor 927

Racing 2-Cycle Oil, Pre-Mix Only

Castor 927 is a unique blend of highly refined castor oil, a specially prepared synthetic and an additive system that reduces carbon and gum formation and provides excellent rust & corrosion protection. Castor 927 also contains an exclusive additive that keeps power valves cleaner and working properly. For all of us that wish to keep our air and water cleaner, Castor 927 is biodegradable. Castor 927 keeps on lubricating; where other lubricants turn to carbon or vaporize, and provides extra protection on cylinder walls, bearing journals and other critical areas at temperatures much higher than other lubricants.

Usage

Castor 927 is ideally suited as a premix for both leaded and unleaded fuels.
Recommended Premix Ratios
50-80cc (24-32:1) 125cc (24-40:1)
250cc (24-40:1) 500cc and up (32-60:1)

Technical Data

Color D 1500 Yellow
Gravity °A.P.I. 17.6
Viscosity SUS @ 100°F 617
Viscosity SUS @ 210°F 73
Viscosity cSt @ 40°C 133.1
Viscosity cSt @ 100°C 13.79
Pour Point, °F -5
Flash Point, °F 420
Fire Point, °F 480
Viscosity Index 99
SAE Viscosity 40[/QUOT

Ahh now that sounds like a belter, the dogs gonads so to speak, I'll try that and a747, see which is easier to get hold of.
Thanks pal

Perhaps the stinging of the eyes from the Castor oil may swing it in favour of the synthetic?

Just a thought, but try a SMALL volume first, before you make 'the decision' is what I would suggest.

Many are using Castor related oils, so it can't be THAT MUCH of a problem ....

Al.

I use king cobra racing venom castor oil in the gold bottle. Its readily available for me - ross mods is closer than any halfords!!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks