Wheel Mod

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

voo2doo

In Memoriam
PLUS member
I've just done the wheel mod on the baja,GOD its Sooo easy and going to save alot of arsing around when I loose my wheel E-Clips.
One side took about half an hour but when I done one the other side took about 5 mins.....westside!
J.

I went one step further with mine....I havn't broken an axle yet but I bent 2 sets.....so I made steel ones to accept rear hubs...

I used 2 high tensile bolts..12mm dia..with about 3 inches of blank shaft..
Ground the bolt head to a flange...15mm dia..3mm thick..
Slipped it in the bearing carrier and put the hub on..drilled the pin hole.....& cut to length.
I used heat shrink to keep the pin in place..

These axles will NEVER bend or break...
DSC01201.jpgDSC01202.jpgDSC01203.jpgDSC01204.jpg

And the bolts were $2 from the local hardware..

Mind you,this is the cheapskate way....
If you don't mind spending a little bit of cash....get another pair of rear axles and cut the drive cup off leaving a flange...

I just couldn't see the sense in buying new rears and cutting them up!

But if you have.. or know somone that has an old pair laying about.....all the better..

what is this wheel mod supposed to do? extend or somthing?
Sorry im a newb

No mate,HPI and KM (and others) Put a failsafe method into the front hubs that,in case of a crash and the front wheels take the knock they have a small E-Clip in them that will come off before the hubs/axles snap. But in retrospect they become worn and come off every run and more often the more time you run the car.So this eliminates the problem.But saying that there is more chance now to mash the hubs/axles.
J.

nice mods. i did it simply by cutting the part off that the e clip sits in, and using a 4mm bolt with a washer and nut. it takes alot of play out of the front end, along with preventing the wheel from falling off mid bash.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks