Wheels

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HarleyDan

OK, more stupid noob questions. Experience with smaller vehicles, but doed not seem to always be related to these big guys.

When replacing wheels, is it necessary to glue the tires to the rim since they are mechanically beadlocked?

Is it necessary to glue the foam inserts

Do all the foam inserts work for all the different tires and beadlock rims available?

Appreciate any help available guys!

**** Edit
After looking at the tower hobbies site, I have determined that I am confused. The size of the rims vs sizes of the tires do not seem to coincide. How much difference between the OD of the rim and the ID of the tire can be tolerated? I am interested in the badlands tires (cause of the ad here), but I would really hate to purchaes tires and rims and have them not fit each other.....

Thanx for helping me in my stupid noobness!

Last edited:
put the foam on the rim. wrap the foam in duct tape. 2 layers around each side of the foam (the duct tape on the rear foam will just cover 1/2 of the tire, you ll need to put 2 pieces side by side, overlapped in the middle a bit, to wrap the full rear foam. the front foams will get covered by one piece of tape).

once the foams are taped, take the foam off the rim, put it into the tire, line it up with the tire, and then slide the rim into the tire from the back. flip the rear edge of the tire around the rim and install your beadlocks.

you can use contact cement (hpi recommends this) but i prefer the Duct Tape method. helps stop the foams from expanding as the duct tape acts like belts on the foams.

Do not glue the tires to the rims, the beadlocks work alot better than any Nitro ones you were used to.

There are only 2 sizes of Baja rims, front and rear. Everything works with those sizes.

Thanx guys.......

as for the sizes, that clarify's the issue, but why do the rims all have slightly different dimensions on the specs?

thanx again guys!

front rims are not as wide as the rear rims. so they ll have the width and over all diameter which would be the same so the two different numbers are the widths.

You can use the woven type duct tape on the inside of the rear tier. It will help to reduce tier ballooning. That is a duct tape with some type with fabric woven in the inside.

ya for sure. Tower is a ok place, but for those serious about the good stuff, DDM is one of the best places to shop.

the importance of the tape: when and if the foam gets wet, it will fall apart on the inside of the rim. if it doesn't get wet, the foam will start to spin on the inside of the rim and turn to dust. the proline foams are rubish, but worth saving for spares. use the stock hpi foams if you have them. you can also run a layer of tape on the inside of the tire. it will also help with ballooning and side wall ripping, wich is very common. another good point at leaving tower in the dust is that ddm and hostile hobby is slightly cheaper. ddm also offers a 5% coupon code. so a search or ask, and youll find the "secret" code..lol

for water worries. run a bead of shoo goo between the tires and the rim, and the tire and the beadlock. once its together, you tire will literaly be AIR and Water Tight.

Tyre Glue

Hi guys i never use any type of glue and nothing has slipped or moved at all.Although we run on a hard sandy rocky tarmac surface using Tarmac Busters there brill the wheel lock mechanism,How many have used the glue type and in the process getting it everywhere gluing your fingers together etc lol.Long gone those days :2guns:

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks