Where’s my computer nerds at? Show us your desk setups!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

misterleon

EMPIRE RC
Lifetime PLUS!
PLUS member
Build Thread Contributor
I’m a huge nerd for desk setups.

this is the setup I have at my office. It’s a custom built pc that I use for work and a bit of gaming when I have time. Recently I’ve been super into a game called city skylines. It’s basically a better version of sim city which I loved back in the day.

91E6BF36-7FF0-4A0A-9529-00101C30F065.jpeg0B2D710A-F0CA-4B74-8006-AD29B42C1BFF.jpeg07143F37-EB73-49FE-88A5-C5C052304A1C.jpeg

This is my Mac I have at home. It’s a 2018 MacBook Pro. Mac just dropped a new operating system that lets me use my iPad Pro as a true touchscreen laptop.

84341BC4-F34F-490A-AD2F-F28348514525.jpeg

Here is my gaming rig ??
Msi z370 motherboard Intel i5 cpu got it overclocked to 5 GHz with 8 gigs memory
All solid state drives corsair 200 cooler.
Got 27 inch Dell invidia screen with a msi gtx1080ti video card? .....howz that on the nerd scale? 10/10 lol ??????
View attachment 53661
Built it myself ???
Ahhh that’s awesome. I knew we had some fellow nerds out there. I have the i7-8700k, 32gb ram, gtx 1080ti, Asus prime z370a motherboard, I also run a 500gb nvme drive for boot, 500 gb nvme for program files, a 1tb ssd as a scratch drive and 10tb spinning disk for file archiving. I run a video production company so that’s why the computer is so over built. Its actually a bit underpowered now. I may have to get an i9, double my ram and get the new 2080ti

Last edited:
Here's my office. I share it with my wife (that's her desk opposite mine). We both work from home for different software companies. Laptop is business, desktop is pleasure. Running i7 4790k water cooled at 4.8GHz, 16gig G.Skill RAM, 1tb SSD, and a Gigabye Aorus 1080ti running an Acer Predator 27" monitor. Looking to maybe update the CPUs, but honestly, they haven't proven to be a bottleneck for my usage (mainly gaming). If I were still doing image editing and animation, I'm sure I'd have done so many times over at this point.

The worst part about having a wife who's a gamer: I have to budget 2 of every upgrade I want! I used to able to build her rigs with lower spec gear, but she started building her own and got savvy to my scheme! hahah!

The little sculpture in front of the speaker is one of my bronze pieces. I like to keep it around to knock against my head when I'm going crazy at work.
Desk.jpg

Here's my office. I share it with my wife (that's her desk opposite mine). We both work from home for different software companies. Laptop is business, desktop is pleasure. Running i7 4790k water cooled at 4.8GHz, 16gig G.Skill RAM, 1tb SSD, and a Gigabye Aorus 1080ti running an Acer Predator 27" monitor. Looking to maybe update the CPUs, but honestly, they haven't proven to be a bottleneck for my usage (mainly gaming). If I were still doing image editing and animation, I'm sure I'd have done so many times over at this point.

The worst part about having a wife who's a gamer: I have to budget 2 of every upgrade I want! I used to able to build her rigs with lower spec gear, but she started building her own and got savvy to my scheme! hahah!

The little sculpture in front of the speaker is one of my bronze pieces. I like to keep it around to knock against my head when I'm going crazy at work.
View attachment 53663
What you playing? I'm replaying origins at the mo?? son's playing total war 2

We're both playing through Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines at the moment. We played it when it first released in 2004 and just recently reloaded it via steam for some nostalgia and to get prepped for Bloodlines 2 coming out in March.

Most recently, I've been playing the poop out of Monster Hunter: World (570 hours!) waiting for the PC expansion, Iceborn. And she just finished her completionist run of Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus.

I played through the entire game, including end game, solo. Multiplayer is purely optional. I only started grouping up to help newer players. There are a couple DLC monsters that are exceedingly tough to take on solo, but they're not essential. The game play is not for everyone, but I thought it was a complete blast! It consists of gearing up, eating the right meals for defense and buffs and taking on more and more powerful creatures. Each fight is like a boss fight, with environmental tricks and hazards.

I've only mastered 3 of the 14 available weapons, so there's a ton of replay, depending on your style. There are also a ton of collectibles to unlock all the food types for buffs and pets to decorate your house.

If you're a big fan of JRPG style gameplay, you'll probably enjoy it. Big learning curve and a bit grindy, but very satisfying once everything clicks. I would suggest taking a look at some youtube videos to get a feel for what the game is about before buying it.

Not played many jrpg's?
Have you played grimdawn?.....arpg its like diablo but x10 better???
I played through the entire game, including end game, solo. Multiplayer is purely optional. I only started grouping up to help newer players. There are a couple DLC monsters that are exceedingly tough to take on solo, but they're not essential. The game play is not for everyone, but I thought it was a complete blast! It consists of gearing up, eating the right meals for defense and buffs and taking on more and more powerful creatures. Each fight is like a boss fight, with environmental tricks and hazards.

I've only mastered 3 of the 14 available weapons, so there's a ton of replay, depending on your style. There are also a ton of collectibles to unlock all the food types for buffs and pets to decorate your house.

If you're a big fan of JRPG style gameplay, you'll probably enjoy it. Big learning curve and a bit grindy, but very satisfying once everything clicks. I would suggest taking a look at some youtube videos to get a feel for what the game is about before buying it.

dxr3c-gif.50020

Since then I have got rid of the three monitor setup in place for a 100hz superwide screen from asus ROG division which I do not regret.
The cube in the background houses an i7 [email protected], 32GB DDR4, a couple of SSD's and a GTX1080. Lovely quiet due to the large cooling tower with noctua fans and apache fans in the cabinet in a front to back pull-push configuration.
The little silver box on the table is my DAC. A lovely Benchmark DAC1 that hooks straight into a pair of active Adam Audio S2-A monitors for crystal clear audio. I may get a second hand sub Adams made that you can pair with all their nearfield monitors, if you want a more 'hifi' colored sound with more 'ooomph' and low end. I think it may be a bit much tbh.
Strangely enough I love bass heavy music, but prefer a clear sound with a more dialed in low end to ever so popular distorted bass neon teenage nightmare, which seems to go really well with the fiddlesticking brickwall-no-holds-barred compression everybody uses on their masters these days. But, I digress.

edit. Oh yeah the peripherals is some bullshit with fancy lights in it from Razer, which can suck my hairy knuckles. The E-cig is some mod SMOK and my opinion about that is the same as Razers overpriced crap.

edit2: I mostly play Grim Dawn these days. Just to zone out for a couple of hours here and there. I have become too frustrated with gaming which I feel is almost at war with its costumer base at this point. Grindy boring slogfests that are designed to frustrate you straigth down the real money shop funnel. I feel like modern games don't want me to have fun unless i fork over more cash than the original purchace. A major part of many games used to be that you could dress up like John Wayne Gacy in clown outfit if you wanted and it was all part of the fun. Now that costs extra and only drops as motherfuc"#%& loot crates with a percentage chance to drop "Gacy's red nose +3". Total BS.

I absolutely love the ghetto cockpit setup. I bet it feels pretty good.

Last edited:
edit2: I mostly play Grim Dawn these days. Just to zone out for a couple of hours here and there. I have become too frustrated with gaming which I feel is almost at war with its costumer base at this point. Grindy boring slogfests that are designed to frustrate you straigth down the real money shop funnel. I feel like modern games don't want me to have fun unless i fork over more cash than the original purchace. A major part of many games used to be that you could dress up like John Wayne Gacy in clown outfit if you wanted and it was all part of the fun. Now that costs extra and only drops as motherfuc"#%& loot crates with a percentage chance to drop "Gacy's red nose +3". Total BS.
Hear you not into in app purchases ?
I like single player and normally buy GOTY
Or gold deal buy all DLC' s when I buy?? don't give a fek about skins ???
Nice system @Thrasher ?

@Doug. You don't pay 60€ upfront for the -apparently privilege- of buying apps. But it also makes the games worse because they make the mechanics frustrating and more grindy on purpose. All of it is skinner box style manipulation to get people to spend extra money. So even if you ignore all that BS, which I did, the game is objectively worse because of its presence. The nickle and diming also seems to scummy and cheap.

Have you played grimdawn?

I have not. I'm not super big into isometric RPG styles. I played Diablo 3 for about 3 days and got bored of it. Grimdawn looks interesting. I might give it a spin if it goes on steam sale some time.

I absolutely love the ghetto cockpit setup. I bet it feels pretty good.

Yeah, it's fantastic for playing Elite: Dangerous and Warthunder. I can jam the throttle and dogfight without shaking my desk or the controllers jumping around. The chair needs to be replaced in a bad way though. It's old enough to join the military!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks