Where is the 1/5th scale hobby, dead?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dropabomb

I’m just wondering if 1/5 scale is dead? I haven’t been into my 1/5 for about 3 years and recently uncovered my 5ive-t and hip Baja as. After looking back on the old forums and searching eBay it appears there isn’t much talk and not a lot of 1/5 moving on eBay. Anyway I was thinking of getting a new 1/5 to try out but it makes me a bit nervous as I feel the aftermarket parts and just overall sales of the 1/5 is dwindling down and don’t want to have a cool ride that I can never find parts to or others with similar vehicles to race with? Am I totally off base? What’s the new bad ass 1/5 4x4 out there? Don’t really need another 5ive -t. Thanks guys!

Mostly a basher and even if I’m a racer can’t find a track
Just got back from my local hobby shop and I’m more undecided then ever. Dude and I talked for a while and he agreed the 1/5 scale faze may have passed. We talked about how cool they are, but how large they are to store and carry and then I’m in Michigan so, we couldn’t come up with one track that you could take your 1/5 scale to. Thinking about these things may explain way I haven’t used my 1/5 scales in a couple years. They were always fun to rip and bash at the house but driving alone gets old after a while, as I’m sure you guys agree. So now, do I go against everything and get a Losi xxl3 E or a traxxas monster truck? I love nitro but I started getting into 1/5 scale cause at least you could get the car started when I pull it out. Nitro is so unreliable ....

Last edited:
its what ever you want it to be......you have got 1/5 scales already why not dust them off crank them up and have fun. go to a local park on a weekend run your rigs.......have fun. someone will come along who will have a 1/5 scale and join in(y). all things move like the tide in the sea things come and go but always come back. there seem to be more than enough online stores in the us that are trading 1/5 so has to be going on? .....or buy a nitro it all up to you

if u really want a new rig y not try a traxxas x maxx...(y)...u can run it in ur street and not piss anyone off as there's no sound...:cool:..and there a very impressive size and they really fly..:eek:..in every aspect of the word...(y)...I have one here....20170415_152316 by evssv, on Flickr
heres my album of it...https://flic.kr/s/aHskYxvo5g
this way u can run ur 2x 1/5th`s if and when u arrange a meet up outa built up areas......look for local bashers on facebook....forums ect......and if ufancy a quik blast ..go run the xmaxx in the street/park ect....

They are big. They are loud(if they are gas). They are not for everybody. I don't think they will ever be "mainstream".
Cost of entry can be steep.
Average person walks into a hobby shop. They see a 5th scale...gawk and oogle over it...see the price...WOW thats expensive and the sheer size can be intimidating.

I live in Fort Lauderdale Florida and can't find a hobby store in all of Broward and Dade County. Everything is online dependent.
The one store in my area closed last year and I lost all the technical help.
Very little instructions on you tube for 5th scale. Now I have to get advice over the phone which sucks. Looking for instructions to install a 2nd steering servo for a Vekta.5, I purchased the kit but no instructions.
Any videos out there?
Thanks,
William E. Burrows Jr.

I purchased an X-Maxx last summer, it is an awesome truck. I still have my HPI Baja sitting under my workbench. I pulled the engine and purchased the Castle electric conversion kit last year. Unfortunately, I'm having trouble talking myself into the motor and esc for it due to the cost. Also, I noticed the hpibajaforum is no longer up and running, at least for the past week.

I purchased an X-Maxx last summer, it is an awesome truck. I still have my HPI Baja sitting under my workbench. I pulled the engine and purchased the Castle electric conversion kit last year. Unfortunately, I'm having trouble talking myself into the motor and esc for it due to the cost. Also, I noticed the hpibajaforum is no longer up and running, at least for the past week.

There are a ton of facebook and internet pages dedicated to 5th scale. It's not going anywhere. If anything, it is gaining in popularity.

There are a ton of facebook and internet pages dedicated to 5th scale. It's not going anywhere. If anything, it is gaining in popularity.

I don't disagree on the 5th scale popularity. I've had one since 2007.

I can't deal with the Facebook format though or the numerous arguments. I like being able to scroll down and read the threads in a forum. Format is much nicer and I'm glad a lot of it is moderated.

cheers...but 15 min runtimes r shite imo...:poop::poop::poop::poop:.and this is y 1/5th should b petrol:cool:..i also had a the same combo in a dbxl....and that was even shitter(n)

Yep! Run times definitely do not compare to gas. That's one thing I miss. Fill up the tank and 30+ minutes later, it's empty. In my case, I'd break a part or get bored before it ran dry.

I don't disagree on the 5th scale popularity. I've had one since 2007.

I can't deal with the Facebook format though or the numerous arguments. I like being able to scroll down and read the threads in a forum. Format is much nicer and I'm glad a lot of it is moderated.

I do mainly facebook pages. They are also moderated. Don't see many arguments. If I see one. it's easy enough to just scroll right on by. I was speaking on the 1/5 pages. I've never had an argument on my page in the 8 years I've been on.

Last edited:
Actually, you can do a search on the facebook page itself. I've found that I get faster and more responses on the facebook pages than I do on forums. I use both but get alot more information quicker on fb. 1/5 Scale Obsession is a great example of fast responses and more information.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks